New Hard Tail On the cheap (Steel?)

The Ogre

Guest
I'm trying to put together a hardtail on the cheap.

Just wondering if anyone has tried the $49 Steel from from the Nashbar catalog. How does it ride/
how much of a boat anchor is it.

What about their Aluminum Frame or the Access frame from Supergo?

My goal is to build myself a "nice" hardtail for under $500 using parts I have laying around and any
sort of bargain gear I can drum up.

Thanks,

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.net

"The Ogre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm trying to put together a hardtail on the cheap.
>
> Just wondering if anyone has tried the $49 Steel from from the Nashbar catalog. How does it ride/
> how much of a boat anchor is it.
>
> What about their Aluminum Frame or the Access frame from Supergo?
>
> My goal is to build myself a "nice" hardtail for under $500 using parts I have laying around and
> any sort of bargain gear I can drum up.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.net

If you can wait a few months I might have a nice new Gary Fisher hardtail, probably a big sur. If
not, well, one of my friends at school has an access frame, and its decent. Not fantastic, and they
did just recall the last batch (his is older), but for a budget project, it'd do nicely.

Jon Bond

"The Ogre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm trying to put together a hardtail on the cheap.

A man of my own heart. I have done this many times. That's why I have too many bikes :)

> Just wondering if anyone has tried the $49 Steel from from the Nashbar catalog. How does it ride/
> how much of a boat anchor is it.

The extra-short top tube is what turned me off to the Nashbar steel frame for my commuter/beater
application.

I ended up with an NOS early '90's Research Dynamics rigid steel frame/fork/headset/seatpost for $26
(plus shipping) on Ebay. It's matte black, and I built it up with all black components, black Zefal
fenders, Specialized Dirt Baldy tires. It turned out nicely.

> What about ...the Access frame from Supergo?

Earlier this season, I scored a 2003 Supergo Weyless Ultra frame (Easton Ultra tubing), brand new in
the original carton, for $95 on eBay. The Access frame is similar, and is the same weight (3.5 lbs).
Looks like a nice frame. I really like the Weyless geometry and ride. It's plenty stiff; but doesn't
beat me up.

With other eBay parts deals, plus a sweet "package price" from the frame seller on a 2001 Mars
Super, XTR rear der, I managed to build a RaceFace/XTR/XT/Avid disc hardtail with nearly all new
parts for well under $500. I laced up the wheels myself with new Sun 0 Deg Lite rims I scored on
eBay ($19/pr) to save $$.

> My goal is to build myself a "nice" hardtail for under $500 using parts I have laying around and
> any sort of bargain gear I can drum up.

Not a problem. My suggestion is to shop hard on eBay. Check sales at JensonUSA.com, PricePoint.com
and Nashbar.com. Find an incomplete project bike selling for cheap (they usually do). Look for "take
off" parts sold in groups, especially mid-range OEM stuff from Ritchey, Koski, Titec, Bontrager -
that sort of thing. Try to buy items in groups to save on shipping - eBay gets expensive if you buy
components one at a time. Go with a square-taper crank - they're cheap and work great. Deore parts
are the value leader right now, IMO, if you're going with a 9-speed drivetrain.

You'll need to find a good used fork. My favorite cheap fork is the Manitou Magnum R. I bought a
Magnum R in like-new condition for $29 a couple of years ago. It's a great fork, nicely damped, not
heavy. I also bought a Manitou X-Vert for $60 a few months ago (haven't tried it yet).

Shop well, be creative, and let us know what you come up with.

Barry