new knee pain (behind kneecap)

Meek One

May 5, 2004
I have bad knees. Usually I have pain in the soft tissue below the kneecap. Today after a good ride, I have pain higher up, under the kneecap if you will. If you removed the kneecap, that's where the pain would be.

What would be the probable culprit today? I was riding someone elses bike. I tried to set the seat properly. Seat height, foot positioning on pedals, etc? I know this is a tough question, but any ideas would help, especially from someone that had the same behind the kneecap pain before and resolved it.

Please help because this is not enjoyable. FWIW, I did ice them afterwards and took some pain reliever. Thanks in advance.

Meek One said:
I have bad knees. Usually I have pain in the soft tissue below the kneecap. Today after a good ride, I have pain higher up, under the kneecap if you will. If you removed the kneecap, that's where the pain would be.

What would be the probable culprit today? I was riding someone elses bike. I tried to set the seat properly. Seat height, foot positioning on pedals, etc? I know this is a tough question, but any ideas would help, especially from someone that had the same behind the kneecap pain before and resolved it.

Please help because this is not enjoyable. FWIW, I did ice them afterwards and took some pain reliever. Thanks in advance.

Since this is a new problem I suspect you have patello-femoral syndrome which is an irritation and inflamation of the cartilage of the undersurface of the patella(kneecap) and opposing surface of the femur. I don't think it is chondromalacia which is degeneration of the cartilage of the kneecap because of the sudden onset of symtoms. I have done alot of reseach since I have chondromalacia( see my post). I fit persists then see a physician more more information and treatment.

Thank you. I did a quick search pertaining to kneecaps and didn't find anyting oddly enough, but thanks for the input and I will be reviewing your post. :)

It's not unusual for some people to get knee pain after riding a different bike to the one normally used. Unless you specifically measured yourself up before riding, it's likely your knees would have noticed a difference and pain triggered off as a result.
But probably you already have some knee problems same as me.
Glucosamine might help in the long term (you can also buy patches to put on the knee itself), ibuprofen in the short term. Learn to use your gears to maximum effect and avoid grinding big gears when you climb. See a physio and follow his or her advice.

Meek One said:

I would say the culprit is definitely seat height. If your seat is too low, you will have pain in the front of the knee. If it is too high, you'll have pain behind the kneecap. You want to set partially above the point where your knee is not fully extended. There are alot of formulas to figure out seat height, but I dont have the links. I'm sure a quick google search will find it. If you are still having pain, try speedplay pedals. I've heard people with knee pains praise them like no other. The float on them helps the knees tremendously.

Miagi said:
I would say the culprit is definitely seat height. If your seat is too low, you will have pain in the front of the knee. If it is too high, you'll have pain behind the kneecap. You want to set partially above the point where your knee is not fully extended. There are alot of formulas to figure out seat height, but I dont have the links. I'm sure a quick google search will find it. If you are still having pain, try speedplay pedals. I've heard people with knee pains praise them like no other. The float on them helps the knees tremendously.

That's not true. If the seat is too low the pain is post. to the knee that means the back of the knee!!!!! The patellar(kneecap) makes up the anterior (front ) of the knee. If one as a problem with the kneecap i.e. chondromalacia the seat should be as high as possible as long as rocking is not a issue.

Bruce L said:
That's not true. If the seat is too low the pain is post. to the knee that means the back of the knee!!!!! The patellar(kneecap) makes up the anterior (front ) of the knee. If one as a problem with the kneecap i.e. chondromalacia the seat should be as high as possible as long as rocking is not a issue.

I'll second that. A seat height that is too low can be a significant factor in causing wear/pain behind the kneecap (ie, front of the knee). If the seat height is too high, some people get pain in the back of the knee joint, not the back of the kneecap.