General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

New member

Started by Erika · · Last activity · 39 posts · 1,262 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
13 January 2004
Last activity
13 January 2004
Original author
Erika
Posts
39
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,262
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–39 of 39
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Beav said:

    Erika.

    If you're testing and recording the results, what's being done WITH the results if you've been
    instructed "not to experiment"? Seems to me that testing is done so you can find out exactly what
    you CAN eat without a major impact on your BG and what you should avoid. Not experimenting means
    that your BG will be the same today as it was yesterday, which doesn't exactly set me on fire.

    I test my self every

    Quoted message said:

    other day so every seccond week I test my self four days instead.

    And you're doing "what" to lower your BG/s?

    Beav

    What I meant was that I am not to experiment on my non measurment days but to stick to the info I
    have been giving about eating 30/30/30, heavy on fibre and low on fat and quick carbs.

    /Erika

    The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents. Then for then years you try
    to be as little as your parents as possible. Then you gradually change in to them.

  2. "Erika" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    K'neH'a'Iw said:

    I think I'd ask why if testing 7 times a day every other day is good, why wouldn't you test 7
    time every day?

    I'd be really interested in the answer.

    I have been ordered by the diabetes nurse to do it seven times day on specific times. (fasting,
    after breakfast, before lunch, an hour and a half after lunch, before dinner, an hour and a half
    after dinner and at ten o´clock at night) By doing it every other day it doesn´t always fall on
    the same day of the week.

    But we need to be testing ON every day of the week. If we don't, we have days when we don't know
    what our BG's are and that's not a good thing, particularly when the complications we're at risk
    from don't have days off.

    Quoted message said:


    I am sure she know what she is doing, she has been working with these things for 20 years and a
    doctor is connected to the diabetes team as well.

    She may very well have been "working with", but she isn't "living with". That's a MASSIVE
    difference.

    Erika, I get the impression that you're not open to suggestions/idea's being put forwards here,
    preferring to take on board everything your home team decided FOR you. Am I wrong in thinking that?

    Beav

  3. "Erika" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Beav said:

    Erika.

    If you're testing and recording the results, what's being done WITH the results if you've been
    instructed "not to experiment"? Seems to me that testing is done so you can find out exactly what
    you CAN eat without a


    major

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    impact on your BG and what you should avoid. Not experimenting means that your BG will be the
    same today as it was yesterday, which doesn't exactly set me on fire.

    I test my self every

    Quoted message said:

    other day so every seccond week I test my self four days instead.

    And you're doing "what" to lower your BG/s?

    Beav

    What I meant was that I am not to experiment on my non measurment days but to stick to the info I
    have been giving about eating 30/30/30, heavy on fibre and low on fat and quick carbs.

    I understand that, (I don't understand these "no testing days" though), but I was wondering what
    actions you're taking when the meter results aren't what you'd like them to be when you DO test.

    Beav

  4. Beav said:

    Erika, I get the impression that you're not open to suggestions/idea's being put forwards here,
    preferring to take on board everything your home team decided FOR you. Am I wrong in thinking that?

    Beav

    Yes, I feel I have learnt a lot from people here already. I am however afraid of not doing as I am
    told by my diabetes team because of my pregnancy.

    /Erika

    The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents. Then for then years you try
    to be as little as your parents as possible. Then you gradually change in to them.

  5. Beav said:

    I understand that, (I don't understand these "no testing days" though), but I was wondering what
    actions you're taking when the meter results aren't what you'd like them to be when you DO test.

    Beav

    Then I am supposed to take amental note of what I ate, analyze that and not eat that combination
    again I suppose.

    /Erika /Erika

    The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents. Then for then years you try
    to be as little as your parents as possible. Then you gradually change in to them.

  6. Erika said:

    Yes, I feel I have learnt a lot from people here already. I am however afraid of not doing as I am
    told by my diabetes team because of my pregnancy.

    This part of this thread was about testing. Testing more than you are asked to is not going to hurt
    you. It may cost someone a little more.

    I don't think anyone is telling you to not follow the advise of your diabetes team. We are saying
    you should not follow their advice blindly. I think they owe you an explanation of why they are
    asking you to do these things.

    Being a naturally unruly American I do not generally that any advise from anyone without
    understanding it. The more they try to use their education and experience to intimidate me, instead
    of explaining and educating me the more resistant I become.

    It's your body and whatever their expertise and intentions you are going to have to live with the
    results of their treatment.

    --
    K'neH'a'Iw

    Uncloaking, Shields up.

  7. "Erika" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Beav said:

    Erika, I get the impression that you're not open to suggestions/idea's


    being

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    put forwards here, preferring to take on board everything your home team decided FOR you. Am I
    wrong in thinking that?

    Beav

    Yes, I feel I have learnt a lot from people here already. I am however afraid of not doing as I am
    told by my diabetes team because of my pregnancy.

    I can understand that, but as I see things, the MAIN thing you should be "concerened" about is your
    BG levels. They NEED to be kept within a very tight range if you want to carry your baby for the
    full term and have a normal delivery. Babies of diabetics are well known for being BIG babies and
    they're big because the grow very well on a sugary diet. it's therefore REALLY in your best
    interests to know what your BG's are, more than it is for us "normal" diabetics.

    I understand the Swedish system is different from the system over here in the UK, but testing
    heavily on one day and not testing at all on the next seems to me to be a recipe for disaster. maybe
    HALF the testing on "testing days" and use the other half of the test strips on the "non testing"
    days, but do it without telling your diabetic team or midwife. At least that way you'll have a more
    "spread out" idea of where your BG is at anytime during any day.

    Beav

  8. Erika said:
    Beav said:

    I understand that, (I don't understand these "no testing days" though), but I was wondering what
    actions you're taking when the meter results aren't what you'd like them to be when you DO test.

    Beav

    Then I am supposed to take amental note of what I ate, analyze that and not eat that combination
    again I suppose.

    /Erika /Erika

    The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents. Then for then years you try
    to be as little as your parents as possible. Then you gradually change in to them.

    There is some logic to that. In fact, it's what I recommended to an American who couldn't afford ten-a-
    day testing. Once you know what quantity of corn-flakes you can have for breakfast (in my case zero)
    and I have confirmed it a couple of times, there isn't really a need to test that again.

    It is probably a way for the government to keep the costs down while allowing fairly intensive
    testing for a full day at a time. It's certainly better than the standard "fasting and before
    dinner" advised by GPs over here.

    If you can discover a safe and varied diet on the days you are testing then repeat that on the days
    you are not. But don't do it mentally, record it in writing or on a spreadsheet. You'll get a few
    surprises when you read back over it.

    And you will still need to continue testing after you reach control, but less frequently.

    Cheers Alan, T2, Oz dx May 2002, diet and exercise.
    --
    Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

  9. "Erika" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Beav said:

    I understand that, (I don't understand these "no testing days" though),


    but

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I was wondering what actions you're taking when the meter results aren't what you'd like them to
    be when you DO test.

    Beav

    Then I am supposed to take amental note of what I ate, analyze that and not eat that combination
    again I suppose.

    Mental notes aren't accurate enough to deal with something as serious as diabetes Erika, especially
    when you're pregnant. Everything should be written down so you don't have to remember a single
    thing. It's the only way to guarantee you don't forget what food "did a number on you".

    You should test, record, eat, record what you ate, then test again later and record THAT number. If
    you multiply that "routine" by the number of times you eat, you'll soon see how difficult it's going
    to get to keep on top of everything.

    Beav

  10. Beav said:


    "Erika" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Beav said:

    Erika, I get the impression that you're not open to suggestions/idea's


    being

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    put forwards here, preferring to take on board everything your home team decided FOR you. Am I
    wrong in thinking that?

    Beav

    Yes, I feel I have learnt a lot from people here already. I am however afraid of not doing as I
    am told by my diabetes team because of my pregnancy.

    I can understand that, but as I see things, the MAIN thing you should be "concerened" about is your
    BG levels. They NEED to be kept within a very tight range if you want to carry your baby for the
    full term and have a normal delivery. Babies of diabetics are well known for being BIG babies and
    they're big because the grow very well on a sugary diet. it's therefore REALLY in your best
    interests to know what your BG's are, more than it is for us "normal" diabetics.

    I understand the Swedish system is different from the system over here in the UK, but testing
    heavily on one day and not testing at all on the next seems to me to be a recipe for disaster.
    maybe HALF the testing on "testing days" and use the other half of the test strips on the "non
    testing" days, but do it without telling your diabetic team or midwife. At least that way you'll
    have a more "spread out" idea of where your BG is at anytime during any day.

    Beav

    But you seem to assume that I eat different on the days I don´t test from the days I do test. I eat
    the same way every day. Very tight and regular regime.

    I spoke to my diabetes nurse friday and she is VERY happy with my BG values so I guess I am not
    doing too bad.

    /Erika

    The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents. Then for then years you try
    to be as little as your parents as possible. Then you gradually change in to them.

  11. K'neH'a'Iw <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<lJ_ob.51008$gi2.30986@fed1read01>...

    Quoted message said:
    Erika said:

    Yes, I feel I have learnt a lot from people here already. I am however afraid of not doing as I
    am told by my diabetes team because of my pregnancy.



    Did you have many problems getting pregnant in th efirst place as I have been told definately don't
    get pregnant whilst taking Metformin

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Erika said:


    But you seem to assume that I eat different on the days I don´t test from the days I do test. I
    eat the same way every day. Very tight and regular regime.

    Well part of the "fun" of diabetes is that sometimes you eat exactly the same thing on two days and
    have different blood sugar results! This can result from random factors, hormonal fluctuations,
    impending illness.

    Quoted message said:


    I spoke to my diabetes nurse friday and she is VERY happy with my BG values so I guess I am not
    doing too bad.

    Well that's good news!

    --
    AF "Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team." --artyw raises the bar on
    rec.sport.baseball

  13. "Erika" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Beav said:


    "Erika" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 21:26:57 GMT, "Beav" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >Erika, I get the impression that you're not open to suggestions/idea's


    being

    Quoted message said:

    >put forwards here, preferring to take on board everything your home


    team

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >decided FOR you. Am I wrong in thinking that?
    >
    >Beav
    >

    Yes, I feel I have learnt a lot from people here already. I am however afraid of not doing as I
    am told by my diabetes team because of my pregnancy.

    I can understand that, but as I see things, the MAIN thing you should be "concerened" about is
    your BG levels. They NEED to be kept within a very tight range if you want to carry your baby for
    the full term and have a normal delivery. Babies of diabetics are well known for being BIG babies


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    they're big because the grow very well on a sugary diet. it's therefore REALLY in your best
    interests to know what your BG's are, more than it is for us "normal" diabetics.

    I understand the Swedish system is different from the system over here in the UK, but testing
    heavily on one day and not testing at all on the next seems to me to be a recipe for disaster.
    maybe HALF the testing on


    "testing

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    days" and use the other half of the test strips on the "non testing"


    days,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    but do it without telling your diabetic team or midwife. At least that


    way

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    you'll have a more "spread out" idea of where your BG is at anytime


    during

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    any day.

    Beav

    But you seem to assume that I eat different on the days I don´t test from the days I do test. I
    eat the same way every day. Very tight and regular regime.

    First of all Erika, let me assure you of one thing. I assume absolutely NOTHING. I know from my own
    experiences as a diabetic that no matter HOW many times you eat the same thing at the same time of
    the day, your BG levels will turn around and bite you. Sometimes it happens slowly, others in almost
    instantly. I too eat the same things every day and at the same times too, but my BG will vary with
    little or no warning. Amongst other things, they can vary with the temperature of the outside air,
    the amount of strenuous activity undertaken or NOT undertaken and your stress levels.

    Given that you're also pregnent and "feeding" another soul, I think you need to realise that
    diabetes isn't a "one size fits all" thing where a pill each morning (or an insulin shot) will have
    you running perfectly stable BG day in day out, week in week out.

    Quoted message said:


    I spoke to my diabetes nurse friday and she is VERY happy with my BG values so I guess I am not
    doing too bad.

    Diabetic nurses generally ARE "very happy" with someone elses BG levels, but would they be as happy
    if they were their OWN BG levels? What ARE your levels btw?

    Beav

  14. On 5 Nov 2003 06:13:40 -0800, [email hidden] (Pauline

    Allardyce) said:

    K'neH'a'Iw <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<lJ_ob.51008$gi2.30986@fed1read01>...

    Quoted message said:
    Erika said:

    Yes, I feel I have learnt a lot from people here already. I am however afraid of not doing as I
    am told by my diabetes team because of my pregnancy.



    Did you have many problems getting pregnant in th efirst place as I have been told definately don't
    get pregnant whilst taking Metformin

    My diabetes wasn't discovered until I was 9 weeks pregnant.

    /Erika

    The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents. Then for then years you try
    to be as little as your parents as possible. Then you gradually change in to them.

  15. On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 18:35:39 -0500, Alice Faber <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    In article said:


    But you seem to assume that I eat different on the days I don´t test from the days I do test. I
    eat the same way every day. Very tight and regular regime.

    Well part of the "fun" of diabetes is that sometimes you eat exactly the same thing on two days and
    have different blood sugar results! This can result from random factors, hormonal fluctuations,
    impending illness.

    Yes but that is something the diabetes team said I can't do much about anyway

    /Erika

    The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents. Then for then years you try
    to be as little as your parents as possible. Then you gradually change in to them.

  16. On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 20:26:50 GMT, "Beav"

    Quoted message said:

    What ARE your
    levels btw?

    Beav

    fasting 5.8-6.5 before meals 4.6-5.8 an hour and a half after meals around 6.5

    /Erika

    The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents. Then for then years you try
    to be as little as your parents as possible. Then you gradually change in to them.

  17. "Erika" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Alice Faber said:
    In article said:


    But you seem to assume that I eat different on the days I don´t test from the days I do test. I
    eat the same way every day. Very tight and regular regime.

    Well part of the "fun" of diabetes is that sometimes you eat exactly the same thing on two days
    and have different blood sugar results! This can result from random factors, hormonal
    fluctuations, impending illness.

    Yes but that is something the diabetes team said I can't do much about anyway

    Well let's just see. You coould test before breakfast and based on that reading you could inject
    sufficient insulin to stop you going above your target number, but if you DIDN'T test and you were
    already AT your "highest point" number, then for the next few hours at least, you'd be running a far
    too high BG. That missed test has now done you some damage. If you'd DONE the test, you then have a
    choice. Eat your normal breakfast (or lunch/dinner/supper) and inject more insulin, eat less and
    inject the usual amount, or inject the same, eat the same but do some exercising over and above your
    normal level.

    When I hear of diabetic specialists say things like "You can't do much about that anyway", it just
    reinforces my opinion of the medical community, and my opinion is well known. Of course, if you want
    to BELIEVE them when they say that there isn't much you can do to maintain a level BG, then you're
    time posting here won't benefit you very much.

    Beav

  18. Beav said:

    Well let's just see. You coould test before breakfast and based on that reading you could inject
    sufficient insulin to stop you going above your target number, but if you DIDN'T test and you were
    already AT your "highest point" number, then for the next few hours at least, you'd be running a
    far too high BG. That missed test has now done you some damage. If you'd DONE the test, you then
    have a choice. Eat your normal breakfast (or lunch/dinner/supper) and inject more insulin, eat less
    and inject the usual amount, or inject the same, eat the same but do some exercising over and above
    your normal level.

    When I hear of diabetic specialists say things like "You can't do much about that anyway", it just
    reinforces my opinion of the medical community, and my opinion is well known. Of course, if you
    want to BELIEVE them when they say that there isn't much you can do to maintain a level BG, then
    you're time posting here won't benefit you very much.

    Beav

    But I am not on insuline

    /Erika

    The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents. Then for then years you try
    to be as little as your parents as possible. Then you gradually change in to them.

  19. "Erika" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    But I am not on insuline

    Neither am I, but I know if I test high before eating, I can't eat as many carbs as I normally do.

    --
    Type 2 users.bestweb.net~jbove

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.