New Member Saying Hello - Weight Loss/Training Advice

surgtech1956

Apr 10, 2007
Hello everyone, glad I found this forum. Newbie here from Michigan. I am just about to purchase a hybrid - either a Trek 7100 or Giant Cypress or Cypress DX - anyone have any advice on these? Back in the 80's I had a road bike and participated in team triathlons as the 'cyclist' and did a fair amount of running. For the last 10 years didn't work out consistent, some cross country skiing, kayaking, very little biking. Now I'm 50 years old and need to lose 40 lbs, plus I have a permanent knee injury, Grade III Patella Femoral Lesion, possibly needing more surgery(had a knee scope in January) so the need for the hybrid and really need to get fit and lose the weight. Anyone have any training advice - miles per day/week, motivational advice??? Thanks

Start low, go slow.

Make sure your gear choices don't put too much pressure on your knees - cycling is a wonderful sport for people who can't do other types of exercise, but you still need to be careful especially if you're carrying an existing injury.

My advice, have fun :)
Ive lost 130lb - dunno if thats motivational for you or not, Perhaps you could always invest in one of those bikes that you use your arms to peddle if it pains you too much :D

wishes said:
My advice, have fun :)
Ive lost 130lb - dunno if thats motivational for you or not, Perhaps you could always invest in one of those bikes that you use your arms to peddle if it pains you too much :D
Hi there wishes. Just wondering how long it took to lose the weight. How far are you riding and how often? What kind of bike? Are you into racing or are you commuting and leisure riding? As you can see, I'm curious. It sounds like it's working for you!

Laterider1958 said:
Hi there wishes. Just wondering how long it took to lose the weight. How far are you riding and how often? What kind of bike? Are you into racing or are you commuting and leisure riding? As you can see, I'm curious. It sounds like it's working for you!
Its taken about 9 months so far, It left it great leaps and bounds at the beginning but now im down to the last 40lb or so its slowing down a tad. Cycling is good because i can go for a 2-3 hour ride on the weekend, and also ride to work most days. Though i generally avoid it when its raining *G*

Its not entirely cycling alone - you cannot loose weight by exercise alone im afraid, you have to eat less calories than you use. So i eat about 1200-1500 calories most days (that includes the odd chocolate bar, KFC, or other treat) and when im doing a couple hour ride or race i eat more (up to 2000).
I ride the road - preferably country ones ... bit less traffic, lights, pedestrians etc.
Anyway if you're interested in learning more ive put a website together (i got THAT many people asking lol). my weight loss website and blog