New to cycling again after 12 years

cyclingintern

Aug 26, 2014
Hi guys,

I'm looking to get back into cycling after many years of not having a bicycle to ride. Long story short my Dad drove over my bike one night after I left it on the ground when I was 12
frown.gif
Since then I have never owned or cycled a bike. Now I'm 24, I'm looking to get back into some of my old hobbies. I've always been interested in mountain biking from watching videos of it on YouTube.

What kind of bike would be a good beginners bike to start riding again? I might start commuting to work with a bike but also want something for recreational sports. Any particular models you guys know of? I'm looking for a good entry-level bike that doesn't break the bank. Thanks
thumb.gif

Dave

There are generally two types of mountain bikes hardtails and full suspension. If you are going to ride off road on established trails I would recommend the hardtail but if you are going into extreme rock-hopping I suggest the full suspension. If you are going to stay on the road buy a road bike. There are many other options but you will need to narrow down your choices depending on what you want to do and what you wish to accomplish.

And in full suspension you have xc (cross country), trail, all-mountain, freeride, and downhill. Your bike dealer can probably show you some examples.

Originally Posted by AyeYo
At what dollar amount is the bank broken?
tongue.png
My original budget was £500. Not sure what that converts to in $ but I'm starting to think it's maybe a bit too low to purchase a good bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuskey .
There are generally two types of mountain bikes hardtails and full suspension. If you are going to ride off road on established trails I would recommend the hardtail but if you are going into extreme rock-hopping I suggest the full suspension. If you are going to stay on the road buy a road bike. There are many other options but you will need to narrow down your choices depending on what you want to do and what you wish to accomplish.

I was thinking of getting a MTB but now I'm thinking maybe I might be better suited having a road bike or possibly a hybrid bike to suit my needs

Originally Posted by cyclingintern

My original budget was £500. Not sure what that converts to in $ but I'm starting to think it's maybe a bit too low to purchase a good bike.

I was thinking of getting a MTB but now I'm thinking maybe I might be better suited having a road bike or possibly a hybrid bike to suit my needs
That sounds like a good move. You can always get a road bike with straight bars as opposed to drops and even change them out later if your needs change.

That's a little over $800. That's enough to get a good, entry-level road bike.

Here's plenty for you to look through:

http://www.wiggle.com/cycle/road-time-trial-bikes/?cc=GBP&cr=1&omi=370&oma=4020&mi=370&ma=900

Another member here had a good experience with Wiggle allowing him to test ride two bikes and return without penalty the one he didn't want.