New tryes for day rides/audax

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Baker-Beall

After 15 months my tyres are beginning to go home so its time for some new ones. I've used Vittoria
Rubino Pro Intrepid TT 23mm and I've got on fine with them (thanks to Pete Biggs for the initial
steer). However I have no means of comparison as to whether I should get the same again, upgrade to
a Corsa TT or consider some other brand. Has anyone changed to or from these tyres got any helpful
comments to make? Usage is day rides plus short audax (100-200k) and I may do a time trial this
summer and a duathlon in the autumn. Thanks Julia (cross-posted to rec.bicyles.tech)

I have become a big proponent of Michelin tires in the last couple of years. Their quality is top
notch and their tires perform as stated. For your light audax riding, I can suggest two, the
Michilin Axial Carbon and the Michelin Erilium. The Axial Carbon is a kevlar beaded (folding) tire,
with a smooth tread. Michelin uses a higher density of carbon in the tread of this tire for
increased mileage and increased puncture resistance. This is a relatively lightweight tire with good
sidewall protection. The Michelin Erilium is a wire beaded (non-folding) tire with a kevlar belt
under the tread. I've found this to add considerable flat protection. The tread is a very small,
lentil shaped pattern. This tire rolls a little bit slower, but is still responsive and supple for a
belted tire. This is not a great tire for time trials, but I do have many customers training for
Paris-Brest-Paris and their tire of choice has become the Erilium (formerly known as the Michelin
Axial Kevlar).

Joe Santos Freewheeler Bike Center Davis, CA 95616 www.freewheelerbikecenter.com (530 758-5460

Status
Not open for further replies.