new Zipp Disc track axle/road axle interchageability

Gemma_k

Guest
Just wondering if anyone is able to set me straight - the newer model of
Zipp discs has a fixed threaded side, a 'proper' 15mm solid track axle and
'proper' track nuts (not 'track caps'). I gather the road road
axle/cassette body for the disc is removed by splitting the axle in half
using 5mm allen keys and each end withdraws from thair respective sides of
the hub body. (Similarly to other Zipp hubs, like 404's etc).

So, how is the track axle removed from the hub, given that it is very solid?
Is it a matter of removing the axle lock nuts with two cone spanners and
withdrawing the axle from the 'LH' side? Or is there some different trick
to it?

Gemma

"Rem acu tetigisti."
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:18:51 +0930, "Gemma_k" wrote:

>So, how is the track axle removed from the hub, given that it is very solid?
>Is it a matter of removing the axle lock nuts with two cone spanners and
>withdrawing the axle from the 'LH' side?

Yes.

> Or is there some different trick
>to it?

No.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
http://www.businesscycles.com

"John Dacey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Rem acu tetigisti."

Yes, came out easy once I'd retreived my 14mm cone spanners from a friend's
house! I should trust my instincts!

My next question: The Zipp 404 wheelset rear axle 'almost' fits. The
driveside is fine, but because the bearings are more outboard on the disk
the axle-half part on the non-drive side doesn't screw in enough (at all
actually). The part is too deep. It would with some machining and work
fine - but do Zipp sell this disc-specific part separately? Otherwise I'd
have to machine a spacer up for the 404's axle to work in the 404 wheelset
again!

Gemma