Newbie - strengthening stomach muscles whilst cycling?

rugbyboy

May 2, 2005
Hi

I'm a newbie, so soz' if I've posted this in the wrong place.

Can anyone give any tips as to how I can turn my daily 20-mile commute into a regime where I can work on my flabby stomach muscles?

I've been cycling for nearly 4 years - mainly, commuting to and from work in London but also doing a bit of off-roading and touring. In that time, I've developed thighs that Jonah Lomu would be proud of and a heart-rate/lung capacity that could rival Lindford Christie. But the stomach area remains a very disappointing aspect of my physique! :eek:

I train regularly in a gym and, as my moniker suggests, play rugby. But so far, I've been unable to shed that middle tyre. I intend to have another go at getting rid of the flab by training in the gym and eating properly etc. However, I also see my cycle into work as another prize opportunity to banish that belly!

I suspect that my riding technique might be wrong - I can see that sitting with my upper body weight full-square on the saddle ain't gonna develop my stomach muscles. So what should I do instead? Any thoughts welcome!

Cheers

Chris

rugbyboy said:
Hi

Can anyone give any tips as to how I can turn my daily 20-mile commute into a regime where I can work on my flabby stomach muscles?

I've been cycling for nearly 4 years - mainly, commuting to and from work in London but also doing a bit of off-roading and touring. In that time, I've developed thighs that Jonah Lomu would be proud of and a heart-rate/lung capacity that could rival Lindford Christie. But the stomach area remains a very disappointing aspect of my physique! :eek:

I train regularly in a gym and, as my moniker suggests, play rugby. But so far, I've been unable to shed that middle tyre. I intend to have another go at getting rid of the flab by training in the gym and eating properly etc. However, I also see my cycle into work as another prize opportunity to banish that belly!

I suspect that my riding technique might be wrong - I can see that sitting with my upper body weight full-square on the saddle ain't gonna develop my stomach muscles. So what should I do instead? Any thoughts welcome!

Cheers

Chris

Lay on the ground put the bike behind head and sit up 100 times.
Seriously unless someone has magic I am not aware of you will need to do other exercises that target those muscles rather than cycling.
Great for the cardio and legs and a liitle on the arms but leaves much to be desired in other areas
Keep cycling just supplement with targeted exercises for mid section..

rugbyboy said:
Hi

When you say flabby stomach muscles, two things come to mind ... OK, three but I'll leave Homer Simpson out of it for now. :D

1) You may need to burn away the stored subcutaneous fat in your adipose tissues around the waist

... or ...

2) You may need to strengthen and build up your core muscles.

The first one is just a matter of proper diet and exercise, which is easier said than done. The second is a matter of introducing resistance strength training for your core muscles, i.e. abs & obliques.

I tighten my abs up as i cycle for 1 to 1 1/2 mins at a time then rest for 30 seconds between. so far i have seen it helping a little.

Doctor Morbius said:
When you say flabby stomach muscles, two things come to mind ... OK, three but I'll leave Homer Simpson out of it for now. :D

1) You may need to burn away the stored subcutaneous fat in your adipose tissues around the waist

... or ...

2) You may need to strengthen and build up your core muscles.

The first one is just a matter of proper diet and exercise, which is easier said than done. The second is a matter of introducing resistance strength training for your core muscles, i.e. abs & obliques.

Hey Doc... totally off subject, but are you a "Brisco County Jr." fan?

I would recommend just riding more on your non-work days or after work. 20 miles is nice, but if you ride for longer times and distances, you would see more 'effects' of cycling.

My abs/core are in great shape thanks to cycling. Plus, when I actually spend time in the weight room on my core, the results are even greater.

If you have a heart rate monitor, you can work in specific zones as well to target 'fat burning zones' etc, but, just riding MORE will make a world of difference. Also, maybe your diet has something to do with the 'flab'?

Eating healthy will make a huge difference along with exercise.

Be patient, great awards await if you are dedicated!!

GOOD LUCK!

rugbyboy said:
Hi

Cheers

Chris
1) Eat fewer calories
2) Keep exercising