Newbie to road cycling. Brake advice needed.

sillysausage

May 26, 2006
Hi everybody.

After spending many years on mtbs, I finally purchased my first 'propper' road bike last month (Felt F70)

Coming from a full suss mtb with hydraulic disks, I am a little concerned about the rim brakes ability to stop on a large hill.

I tried slowing from 35mph down quite a large hill and after initially slowing well, the pads sounded like sandpaper and ceased to function normally. I let off and eventually re applied the brakes to bring me to a stop, but missed my turn off the road.

Maybe I am expecting too much coming onto rim brakes after discs, but thought I'd ask if this is a normal problem, or was it down to bad breaking technique or rubbish brakes / pads etc.

Adam.

Sounds like your brakes have been used in the wet a bit without cleaning, and you've probably got **** pads (hard cheapos) that have a bit of aluminum stuck in them.

I think Felt use Tektro calipers which can work very well on good rim surfaces with quality pads. They're not going to stop you like discs, but they should easily be strong enough to stop you pretty quickly.

I've used Scotchbrite pads and rubbing alchohol to clean up rims and found that Dura-Ace pads (I think all the Shimano ones are the same) completely transformed mine from how you described yours to locking the rear with two fingers in the hoods... and almost being able to do little stoppies from the drops.

No. That happens with the brake pads that come free with the brakes.

You need something like Kool Stop brake pads.

See Harris Cyclery's web pages to determine the right size.