Next project, building cassettes....

Lonnie Utah

Banned
Aug 21, 2004
So, since I've been "wrenching" around the house the past few days, I came up with an idea for a new project. I want to take the remenants of a couple old cassetts (9 spd 11x34 and a 8 spd 12x26) I have laying around an build a custom cassette for my MTB (11x28). I've check how the "how to's" on Sheldon Brown and have a pretty good feel for what I need to do. The problem I ran into is the spacers. The spacers for the 9 speed have a "nipple" on them for alignment that won't fit into the cogs off the 8 speed (the spacers of the 8spd work with all the cogs no problem). Since there are "spare parts" so to speak, I have 1/2 the mind to just take a file to the "nipples" and go from there. I have the pin that aligns the spline(s) so I'm not worried about that. I also have a "fake hub" that I can stack the cogs on so I'm not worried about that either. Can you by aftermarket spacers that would work? Just wondering.

Now for all of those that say, "Just buy a new cassette", you're kind of missing the point. I learn how things work by taking them apart and putting them back together. So this project is along that train of thought. I'm having too much fun with all of this...

Thanks in advance for any info....

L

Here's the gearing I'd like to use. Thoughts?
28x24x21x19x17x15x14x13x11

EDIT: Look what I missed...

From Sheldon Brown...
The differences in thickness between 7-, 8- & 9-speed sprockets that don't have built-in spacers are so small that substituting 2 or 3 in a cassette won't have any affect on the indexing. Similarly, 8-speed top-position cogs work OK with 9-speed cassettes, even though the spacing is different, because the indexing for the smallest sprocket is regulated by the high-gear limit stop of the derailer, not by indexing of the shifter as with the other gears.

Lonnie Utah said:
The problem I ran into is the spacers. The spacers for the 9 speed have a "nipple" on them for alignment that won't fit into the cogs off the 8 speed (the spacers of the 8spd work with all the cogs no problem). Since there are "spare parts" so to speak, I have 1/2 the mind to just take a file to the "nipples" and go from there.
Go for it. There's no reason why the spacers really need to be aligned with the cogs in any particular way.

There is no alignment requirement for spacers. I've done that a few times myself making some really extreme cassettes for flat crits. It's as simple as stacking the parts together. Have fun!