Nick Died Doing What He Loved

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:56:07 -0700, Paladin <[email protected]> wrote:

> My friend and a really fun guy who introduced a lot of folks to
> mtnbiking and rock climbing died Saturday suddenly while on a 24mi
> ride. It was likely a sudden heart attack or aneurism. This won't
> mean much to you guys, but he was only 34, head of a couple groups,
> was loved by hundreds and will be missed by all.
>
> Already, the mtbr post has set what must be a record for visits, I was
> interviewed on Channel 2 and turned down an on-camera Channel 7
> interview, (enough's enough) they used my pictures on Channel 7
> though, and tonight we did the first of many Nick Memorial Rides. We
> didn't go too fast, because he never did. :) But we had about 24
> show up on almost no notice. He was the lead story on 2 local
> networks.
>
> Here's the article. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=309815
>
> Makes you think about your mortality and eternity. His best friend is
> also a regular on my Barney Rides, and he found Nick just minutes
> after he keeled over. Tough stuff, to be sure.
>
> Well, it's been a hard day, dealing with a hundred emails and phone
> calls, trying to comfort friends while at the same time trying to
> start the grieving process myself, but the ride tonight helped.
> Riding my guts out on the SS with a huge group, and shouting
> "MAHALO" (Nick's favorite salutation) like a Tarzan yell as I passed
> other riders, helped a little.
>
> He was a big, happy Phillipino so full of life who saw himself as the
> Amabassador to the unridden masses, volunteered for everything, did
> every charity ride, taught kids to ride and rock climb, and kept us
> all informed of all the many bike things going on in the area. Just
> last Friday we were working together on getting camp spots for AMB-
> Idaho 07.
>
> This is too long, and most of you couldn't care less, but it helps me
> to write about it.
>
> Raise a glass, shed a tear, for one of our own has fallen.
>
> CDB

Damn, 34, some of us just got rolling at 34. All the kind words left in
his memory
are a great testimony to Nick's life.

May you befriend 1000 more Nicks in your lifetime!
--
Slack

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per Ride-A-Lot <mitchell@[nospam]schnauzers.ws>:
>> You never really think about keeling over on a ride.

> I *think* it was last summer.
>
> Hot day, somewhere around Valley Greene; they found the remains
> of some guy just laying on the ground - still straddling his
> bike.

In Wissahickon chances are it was a homicide. Well, statistics show
that in Wissahickon park, you'll be murdered before you die of natural
causes. That's why I NEVER would ride there alone.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Paladin wrote:
> On Jun 19, 1:32 pm, BB <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 06:35:52 GMT, Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>> You never really think about keeling over on a ride.

>> Anyone in their mid-30s wouldn't, and probably shouldn't. As young as this
>> guy was, it was probably just bad genes. I think about it quite a bit.
>>
>> My condolences, Chris. Not a bad way to go, but way too young.
>>
>> --
>> -BB-
>> To e-mail me, unmunge my address

> You hit the nail on the head Blaine. I eat right, am very active in
> pretty good shape, do the right things, you know berries, lycopene,
> almonds, red wine, etc., and my numbers still suck. Runs in the
> family and can't beat them jeans.
>
> CDB

I have the same issue. I think I'm going to need to get on cholesterol
lowering drugs and hope they don't pickle my liver.
When I tell people my levels are high many are pretty shocked. I don't
look like a heart attack risk and I eat very well. I don't even eat
cream cheese on my bagels, I have hummus (which really freaks some out).
I con only imagine what the levels would be like if I ate more of a
typical American diet.

Matt

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My friend and a really fun guy who introduced a lot of folks to
> mtnbiking and rock climbing died Saturday suddenly while on a 24mi
> ride. It was likely a sudden heart attack or aneurism. This won't
> mean much to you guys, but he was only 34, head of a couple groups,
> was loved by hundreds and will be missed by all.
>
> Already, the mtbr post has set what must be a record for visits, I was
> interviewed on Channel 2 and turned down an on-camera Channel 7
> interview, (enough's enough) they used my pictures on Channel 7
> though, and tonight we did the first of many Nick Memorial Rides. We
> didn't go too fast, because he never did. :) But we had about 24
> show up on almost no notice. He was the lead story on 2 local
> networks.
>
> Here's the article. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=309815
>
> Makes you think about your mortality and eternity. His best friend is
> also a regular on my Barney Rides, and he found Nick just minutes
> after he keeled over. Tough stuff, to be sure.
>
> Well, it's been a hard day, dealing with a hundred emails and phone
> calls, trying to comfort friends while at the same time trying to
> start the grieving process myself, but the ride tonight helped.
> Riding my guts out on the SS with a huge group, and shouting
> "MAHALO" (Nick's favorite salutation) like a Tarzan yell as I passed
> other riders, helped a little.
>
> He was a big, happy Phillipino so full of life who saw himself as the
> Amabassador to the unridden masses, volunteered for everything, did
> every charity ride, taught kids to ride and rock climb, and kept us
> all informed of all the many bike things going on in the area. Just
> last Friday we were working together on getting camp spots for AMB-
> Idaho 07.
>
> This is too long, and most of you couldn't care less, but it helps me
> to write about it.
>
> Raise a glass, shed a tear, for one of our own has fallen.
>
> CDB

Chris-
I just read this and my condolences to you and all that rode with Nick. Nick sounds like somebody I would really have liked to meet
and ride with.

Makes me think a lot about those solo rides I do up here in Colorado where it'd be days or weeks before somebody else might come
along.

I'll tilt a beer to Nick tonight.

Gary

MattB wrote:
> Paladin wrote:
>>> Anyone in their mid-30s wouldn't, and probably shouldn't. As young as
>>> this
>>> guy was, it was probably just bad genes. I think about it quite a bit.
>>>
>>> My condolences, Chris. Not a bad way to go, but way too young.
>>>
>>> --
>>> -BB-
>>> To e-mail me, unmunge my address

>> You hit the nail on the head Blaine. I eat right, am very active in
>> pretty good shape, do the right things, you know berries, lycopene,
>> almonds, red wine, etc., and my numbers still suck. Runs in the
>> family and can't beat them jeans.
>>
>> CDB
>>

> I have the same issue. I think I'm going to need to get on cholesterol
> lowering drugs and hope they don't pickle my liver.
> When I tell people my levels are high many are pretty shocked. I don't
> look like a heart attack risk and I eat very well. I don't even eat
> cream cheese on my bagels, I have hummus (which really freaks some out).
> I con only imagine what the levels would be like if I ate more of a
> typical American diet.
>
> Matt

I am surprised. You are as skinny as a twig. I know a few people like
that who are on the drugs. Most of the younger guys are on the newer
stuff that stops the absorption into the bloodstream. They don't reduce
it as much but they have very little effect on the liver.

Humus? Yuck! Try chopped smoked salmon (lox) with just a dab of olive
oil and no cream cheese. Then you get less cholesterol and the benefits
of Omega 3.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Per Ride-A-Lot <mitchell@[nospam]schnauzers.ws>:
> Most of the younger guys are on the newer
>stuff that stops the absorption into the bloodstream. They don't reduce
>it as much but they have very little effect on the liver.

Another thing to consider with statins is gallstones.

All indications are that my gallbladder removal a couple years
ago was courtesy of Zocor - and that operation messed me up
big-time.
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per Ride-A-Lot <mitchell@[nospam]schnauzers.ws>:
>> Most of the younger guys are on the newer
>> stuff that stops the absorption into the bloodstream. They don't reduce
>> it as much but they have very little effect on the liver.

> Another thing to consider with statins is gallstones.
>
> All indications are that my gallbladder removal a couple years
> ago was courtesy of Zocor - and that operation messed me up
> big-time.

I had my Gal bllder out almost 10 years ago and I know what you mean. I
miss that thing. I now have 12 minutes from the time I finish eating to
when I have to find a place to do my business.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On Jun 19, 1:56 am, Paladin <[email protected]> wrote:
> My friend and a really fun guy who introduced a lot of folks to
> mtnbiking and rock climbing died Saturday suddenly while on a 24mi
> ride. It was likely a sudden heart attack or aneurism. This won't
> mean much to you guys, but he was only 34, head of a couple groups,
> was loved by hundreds and will be missed by all.
>
> Already, the mtbr post has set what must be a record for visits, I was
> interviewed on Channel 2 and turned down an on-camera Channel 7
> interview, (enough's enough) they used my pictures on Channel 7
> though, and tonight we did the first of many Nick Memorial Rides. We
> didn't go too fast, because he never did. :) But we had about 24
> show up on almost no notice. He was the lead story on 2 local
> networks.
>
> Here's the article. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=309815
>
> Makes you think about your mortality and eternity. His best friend is
> also a regular on my Barney Rides, and he found Nick just minutes
> after he keeled over. Tough stuff, to be sure.
>
> Well, it's been a hard day, dealing with a hundred emails and phone
> calls, trying to comfort friends while at the same time trying to
> start the grieving process myself, but the ride tonight helped.
> Riding my guts out on the SS with a huge group, and shouting
> "MAHALO" (Nick's favorite salutation) like a Tarzan yell as I passed
> other riders, helped a little.
>
> He was a big, happy Phillipino so full of life who saw himself as the
> Amabassador to the unridden masses, volunteered for everything, did
> every charity ride, taught kids to ride and rock climb, and kept us
> all informed of all the many bike things going on in the area. Just
> last Friday we were working together on getting camp spots for AMB-
> Idaho 07.
>
> This is too long, and most of you couldn't care less, but it helps me
> to write about it.
>
> Raise a glass, shed a tear, for one of our own has fallen.
>
> CDB

Two weeks before his own death, Dr. Abraham Joshua Heschel was
interviewed by "60 Minutes". This exerpt is from the last part of the
interview.

"STERN: I should say at the start, Dr. Heschel indicated an interest
in directing a message at young people.

HESCHEL: I would say to young people a number of things, and I have
only one minute. I would say let them remember that there is a meaning
beyond absurdity. Let them be sure that every little deed counts, that
every word has power, and that we do, everyone, our share to redeem
the world, in spite of all absurdities, and all the frustrations, and
all the disappointment. And above all, remember that the meaning of
life is to live life as if it were a work of art.

You're not a machine. When you're young, start working on this great
work of art called your own existence. One, remember the importance of
self-discipline. Second, study the great sources of wis­dom, don't
read the best-sellers. And, third, remember that life is a
celebration, or can be a celebration. There's much of entertainment in
our life. And entertainment is destroying much of our initiative and
weakens our imagination. What's really important is life as a
celebration.

In a very deep sense I would say that the addiction from which so many
people suffer, is due to the fact that man cannot live such a shallow
life, stale; he needs exultation, he needs moments of celebration.

One of the most important things is to teach man how to celebrate
life."

Good on you, Paladin, and Nick's biking friends.

/s

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>> Paladin wrote:

>>> You hit the nail on the head Blaine. I eat right, am very active in
>>> pretty good shape, do the right things, you know berries, lycopene,
>>> almonds, red wine, etc., and my numbers still suck. Runs in the
>>> family and can't beat them jeans.
>>>
>>> CDB
>>>

>> I have the same issue. I think I'm going to need to get on cholesterol
>> lowering drugs and hope they don't pickle my liver.
>> When I tell people my levels are high many are pretty shocked. I don't
>> look like a heart attack risk and I eat very well. I don't even eat
>> cream cheese on my bagels, I have hummus (which really freaks some
>> out). I con only imagine what the levels would be like if I ate more
>> of a typical American diet.
>>
>> Matt

> I am surprised. You are as skinny as a twig. I know a few people like
> that who are on the drugs. Most of the younger guys are on the newer
> stuff that stops the absorption into the bloodstream. They don't reduce
> it as much but they have very little effect on the liver.
>
> Humus? Yuck! Try chopped smoked salmon (lox) with just a dab of olive
> oil and no cream cheese. Then you get less cholesterol and the benefits
> of Omega 3.

I just goes to show how big a component genetics is with this.

I like Hummus, but I realize I'm not with the majority of folks on that.
I grew up eating that kind of thing and to me it's good.
I also love lox and eat them once or twice a week. My favorite breakfast
is a bagel with cream cheese, lox, capers, and red onion, but I try not
to do the cream cheese very often. When I do it's special (like on
Father's Day). I also sometimes like some tomato and baby spinach on
top. Yum!

Matt

MattB wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> MattB wrote:

>>> I have the same issue. I think I'm going to need to get on
>>> cholesterol lowering drugs and hope they don't pickle my liver.
>>> When I tell people my levels are high many are pretty shocked. I
>>> don't look like a heart attack risk and I eat very well. I don't even
>>> eat cream cheese on my bagels, I have hummus (which really freaks
>>> some out). I con only imagine what the levels would be like if I ate
>>> more of a typical American diet.
>>>
>>> Matt

>> I am surprised. You are as skinny as a twig. I know a few people
>> like that who are on the drugs. Most of the younger guys are on the
>> newer stuff that stops the absorption into the bloodstream. They
>> don't reduce it as much but they have very little effect on the liver.
>>
>> Humus? Yuck! Try chopped smoked salmon (lox) with just a dab of
>> olive oil and no cream cheese. Then you get less cholesterol and the
>> benefits of Omega 3.
>>

> I just goes to show how big a component genetics is with this.
>
> I like Hummus, but I realize I'm not with the majority of folks on that.
> I grew up eating that kind of thing and to me it's good.
> I also love lox and eat them once or twice a week. My favorite breakfast
> is a bagel with cream cheese, lox, capers, and red onion, but I try not
> to do the cream cheese very often. When I do it's special (like on
> Father's Day). I also sometimes like some tomato and baby spinach on
> top. Yum!
>
> Matt

To quote one of my uncles (heavy New Yawk accent used):

Now dats a nice sammich!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On Jun 20, 2:17 pm, MattB <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> > MattB wrote:

> >> I have the same issue. I think I'm going to need to get on cholesterol
> >> lowering drugs and hope they don't pickle my liver.
> >> When I tell people my levels are high many are pretty shocked. I don't
> >> look like a heart attack risk and I eat very well. I don't even eat
> >> cream cheese on my bagels, I have hummus (which really freaks some
> >> out). I con only imagine what the levels would be like if I ate more
> >> of a typical American diet.

> >> Matt

> > I am surprised. You are as skinny as a twig. I know a few people like
> > that who are on the drugs. Most of the younger guys are on the newer
> > stuff that stops the absorption into the bloodstream. They don't reduce
> > it as much but they have very little effect on the liver.

> > Humus? Yuck! Try chopped smoked salmon (lox) with just a dab of olive
> > oil and no cream cheese. Then you get less cholesterol and the benefits
> > of Omega 3.

> I just goes to show how big a component genetics is with this.
>
> I like Hummus, but I realize I'm not with the majority of folks on that.
> I grew up eating that kind of thing and to me it's good.
> I also love lox and eat them once or twice a week. My favorite breakfast
> is a bagel with cream cheese, lox, capers, and red onion, but I try not
> to do the cream cheese very often. When I do it's special (like on
> Father's Day). I also sometimes like some tomato and baby spinach on
> top. Yum!
>
> Matt

I love hummus, but my all-time favorite heart-healthy foods are Thai
dishes. I'll stir fry in a little rice wine or vinegar, use lots of
ginger, garlic, hot peppers, sometimes a little lean chicken, tons of
vegetables. Very little rice (dang!) no noodles, just eat it and love
it.

It ain't fair, but that's where we're at. My wife, who's fairly thin,
eats whatever she wants, only exercises with gardening, housework,
walking the dog, chasing me, has amazingly good numbers. the poster
child for perfect health.
CDB

On Jun 20, 8:25 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > I like Hummus, but I realize I'm not with the majority of folks on that.

> I love hummus. I was always have a supply on hand. Some day I'm going to
> try mixing my own up. I, too, put it on bagels, although I do have cream
> cheese and lox at the moment.
>
> Greg
> --
> Ticketbastard tax tracker:http://ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html
>
> Dethink to survive - Mclusky

If you're in the neighborhood, this is some pretty good humus:

http://www.telavivguide.net/Restaurants/Israeli_Cuisine_Restaurants/Tel_Aviv_Abu-Hasan_(Ali-Karavan)_in_jaffa_2005090813/

/s

PS: No bagels and lox in Israel.

On Jun 20, 4:12 pm, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:

[...lovely sentiment snipped...]
> One of the most important things is to teach man how to celebrate
> life."
>
> Good on you, Paladin, and Nick's biking friends.

I don't know if there are any Neil Gaiman fans around here, but one of
my favorites from "Sandman" is when a 15,000 year-old man dies in a
pointless, random accident. Death comes to him, and he says to her:
"15,000 years: that's pretty good isn't it?" Death, unimpressed,
replies "You got the same as everybody else: one life."

Cheers to Nick.

CC

G.T. wrote:
> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> I like Hummus, but I realize I'm not with the majority of folks on that.

> I love hummus. I was always have a supply on hand. Some day I'm going to
> try mixing my own up. I, too, put it on bagels, although I do have cream
> cheese and lox at the moment.
>
> Greg

Hippy.