Night Cycling

has anybody tried the new Lumotec IQ Fly light? i just ordered it. it's supposed to be 40 lux & very bright. i can't wait to get it..

SEAcarlessTTLE said:
I got a Dinotte Ultra 5 headlight for about $150 without the batteries and charger, since I already have a charger and lots of NiMH batteries.

I use the Dinotte Ultra 5's which have been upgraded to the new 200 lumen standard. I'm quite happy with them and prefer to use the AA version. Of note, Dinotte is running a sale through tomorrow on the AA version without batteries and charger ($100).

I also use the Dinotte tail light which is amazing. I have to angle it down slightly to avoid getting complaints from other riders. The AA version is also on sale. I also like the Planet Bike Superflash as an affordable back-up as it's 20% of the cost of the Dinotte tail light.

neil0502 said:
3) put yellow reflective stickers (http://tinyurl.com/yupxz) on everything: my rack, the seat stays, the panniers, the backpack, front and back of helmet...everywhere I could. The stickers are cheap!

I absolutely agree with the poster who said that once you've gone HID, there's no going back. It's the difference between seeing rusty nails from 30yds away at 25mph, or whimpering along at 12mph hoping to catch a pothole before it catches you.
I want to suggest getting a roll of reflective tape from a source like lab safety supply or the Wal-Mart auto section. You can cover a lot more area.

Also, regarding the HID, I have tried a powerful LED system but the light is very harsh and difficult to pick out detail by.