No longer a Dunwich Dynamo virgin

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pete Whelan, Jul 24, 2005.

  1. Pete Whelan

    Pete Whelan Guest

    First time on this event and thoroughly enjoyed it. Speed was high in
    the group I was in, so first at Monks Eiegh for refreshments. Took it
    easier on the next leg to avoid either getting to the beach in the dark
    or for the cafe not to be open. Arrived 5:10am, just as it was open.

    Met up with Zog and briefly spoke to Tim Hall, though was busy getting
    past a few groups in the busier bit of London and lost contact.

    Stayed dry for me. Raining now in Woodbridge at midday.

    Tags:

  2. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Sorry missed you, I was the one with the Ardechoise top and glowing
    ghost. All I can say to anyone considering doing this ride is; do it!

    A few favourite bits of my first Dun Run:
    1. The spontaneity of it, and no official start just a steady exodus
    2. Chav Safari in Epping Forest and all the villages, even in the wee
    small hours.
    3. meeting old urc'ers Tim H and Dave L, and new faces Scum of the Road
    and LSMike
    4. The candlelit path to righteousness especially up to the very well
    organised food stop. And all the spontaneous flashing LED stops en
    route.
    5. A full on road race finish
    6. Reclining with a beer on the beach (at 0900!) watching the lunatics
    braving the sea
    7. The weather holding off for the ride, and waking up to torrential
    rain in East London on the return coach
    8. Seeing albeit briefly the full-ish moon and the rising sun.

  3. Pete Whelan

    Pete Whelan Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > Sorry missed you, I was the one with the Ardechoise top and glowing
    > ghost. All I can say to anyone considering doing this ride is; do it!
    >
    > A few favourite bits of my first Dun Run:
    > 1. The spontaneity of it, and no official start just a steady exodus
    > 2. Chav Safari in Epping Forest and all the villages, even in the wee
    > small hours.
    > 3. meeting old urc'ers Tim H and Dave L, and new faces Scum of the Road
    > and LSMike
    > 4. The candlelit path to righteousness especially up to the very well
    > organised food stop. And all the spontaneous flashing LED stops en
    > route.
    > 5. A full on road race finish
    > 6. Reclining with a beer on the beach (at 0900!) watching the lunatics
    > braving the sea
    > 7. The weather holding off for the ride, and waking up to torrential
    > rain in East London on the return coach
    > 8. Seeing albeit briefly the full-ish moon and the rising sun.

    I was relaxing in the bath at 7:30am

  4. garryb59

    garryb59 Guest

    On 24 Jul 2005 08:54:31 -0700, "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sorry missed you, I was the one with the Ardechoise top and glowing
    >ghost. All I can say to anyone considering doing this ride is; do it!
    >
    >A few favourite bits of my first Dun Run:
    >1. The spontaneity of it, and no official start just a steady exodus
    >2. Chav Safari in Epping Forest and all the villages, even in the wee
    >small hours.
    >3. meeting old urc'ers Tim H and Dave L, and new faces Scum of the Road
    >and LSMike
    >4. The candlelit path to righteousness especially up to the very well
    >organised food stop.

    Apart from the long line still there at 4.00am[when we left] who were
    sadly told that there was nought left. Had to feel for them a bit,
    especially after you're 'looking forward' to something after 68miles.
    Still, near impossible to get it spot on.

    > And all the spontaneous flashing LED stops en
    >route.
    >5. A full on road race finish

    Thankfully, I missed that :)

    >6. Reclining with a beer on the beach (at 0900!) watching the lunatics
    >braving the sea
    >7. The weather holding off for the ride, and waking up to torrential
    >rain in East London on the return coach
    >8. Seeing albeit briefly the full-ish moon and the rising sun.

    Yes, it's the variety I like from the dirty, grubby, sweaty Hackney,
    to the darkness in Essex to the morning light of Suffolk.

    Garry

  5. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    garryb59 wrote:

    > Apart from the long line still there at 4.00am[when we left] who were
    > sadly told that there was nought left. Had to feel for them a bit,
    > especially after you're 'looking forward' to something after 68miles.
    > Still, near impossible to get it spot on.

    I wonder where they get there numbers from each year, empty plates at
    the control perhaps?. I would certainly have taken a bite out of a
    Brookes saddle had there been no food when I arrived

    > Yes, it's the variety I like from the dirty, grubby, sweaty Hackney,

    I lived in Hackney 25 years ago , can't believe how much it's changed
    (still grubby and sweaty though, and who devised that route from Mare
    St??)

  6. garryb59

    garryb59 Guest

    On 24 Jul 2005 09:49:01 -0700, "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >garryb59 wrote:
    >

    >> Apart from the long line still there at 4.00am[when we left] who were
    >> sadly told that there was nought left. Had to feel for them a bit,
    >> especially after you're 'looking forward' to something after 68miles.
    >> Still, near impossible to get it spot on.

    >I wonder where they get there numbers from each year, empty plates at
    >the control perhaps?. I would certainly have taken a bite out of a
    >Brookes saddle had there been no food when I arrived

    Quite, just what we were saying.

    >> Yes, it's the variety I like from the dirty, grubby, sweaty Hackney,

    >I lived in Hackney 25 years ago , can't believe how much it's changed
    >(still grubby and sweaty though,

    that wasn't a dig btw :) don't mind the place at all.

    >and who devised that route from Mare
    >St??)

    Haven't a clue. But getting out of London is not as bad as you might
    think, it's not long before you start to hit the darkness.

    Sorry I didn't make an effort to catch up with anybody here, but I was
    mindful of keeping an eye on a mates bike that we'd only just fixed up
    for the ride - tools, spanners and all that stuff.

    cheers
    Garry

  7. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    garryb59 wrote:

    > >I lived in Hackney 25 years ago , can't believe how much it's changed
    > >(still grubby and sweaty though,

    > that wasn't a dig btw :) don't mind the place at all.

    I do, with a vengeance (was only working there not born and bred)
    actually the only bit that has dramatically changed that much is the
    bit by the Empire. Classic bit of 'ackney was the road works right
    across the end of the very first cycle path forcing everyone up the
    kerb.

  8. Pete Whelan wrote:
    > First time on this event and thoroughly enjoyed it. Speed was high in
    > the group I was in, so first at Monks Eiegh for refreshments. Took it
    > easier on the next leg to avoid either getting to the beach in the dark
    > or for the cafe not to be open. Arrived 5:10am, just as it was open.
    >
    > Met up with Zog and briefly spoke to Tim Hall, though was busy getting
    > past a few groups in the busier bit of London and lost contact.
    >
    > Stayed dry for me. Raining now in Woodbridge at midday.

    Funniest bit was the way everyone follows you if you seem to know where
    you're going, and everyone stops if you stop to ask if they've gone
    wrong. I accidentally went up a one-way street the wrong way and into a
    car park, missing Church Path. About 30 people followed me ;-)

    Best bit was the flat road around Wattisham airfield under the moon, and
    the last 30 miles, working out the distance remaining and then
    realising it's only 113 miles, not 116.

    Worst bit was freezing to death on the beach for 7 hours, and seeing
    various bike bits damaged by the removers, who then got lost in London
    for an hour-and-a-half so I missed my train. Anyway, there was a
    pervert in the train toilets at Reading so we were all kicked off and
    no-one noticed that the time on my ticket was for an earlier train ;-)

    I also saw a guy taking a dump in the ditch in the dawn light outside
    Framlingham while his mates watched and tittered...

  9. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 11:02:21 +0000 (UTC), Pete Whelan
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >First time on this event and thoroughly enjoyed it. Speed was high in
    >the group I was in, so first at Monks Eiegh for refreshments. Took it
    >easier on the next leg to avoid either getting to the beach in the dark
    >or for the cafe not to be open. Arrived 5:10am, just as it was open.

    Blimey Pete, you did the racing earlier in the day. Dunwich was meant
    to be a warm down.

    We got in at 06:50. Good breakfast and snooze with head on the table.

    >Met up with Zog and briefly spoke to Tim Hall, though was busy getting
    >past a few groups in the busier bit of London and lost contact.

    Chatted with Martin M on several occassions (each time he was looking
    for his convoy home). Failed to remember to give him a freewheel
    remover I had brought with me. Saw that nice Mr. Larrington at the
    start and, just as we crossed the A12, heading in a Londonwards
    direction.

    Thinking back I must have seen LSMike (is it a Challenge bent you
    ride?) at the start.

    Spoke with John Hearns too, mostly to ask if he knew where any route
    sheets were.

    Memorable bits:

    Candles in jars just when you needed to know if you were on the right
    route.

    Tail lights in the distance ditto.

    Too bright flashing LEDs searing my retinas.

    Idiots jumping in front of us in a oh so amusing fashion. It was
    Essex.

    Unlit cyclists.

    The rumble of a pack of recumbents.

    Darsham station. My mate The Cheating Czech had booked us on the 10:42
    from Darsham, reserved bike places. We decided to go for the 08:42.
    Platform is coated with cyclists. Train arrives (6 carriages). Train
    driver shakes his head as he pulls in. Around 30(?) cyclists pile in,
    somewhat in excess of the two bikes they permit. Guard confers with
    driver and with head office. Guard tells us "Right we _can_ do this,
    but you'll have to move the bikes into first class". Bikes are moved,
    filling the carriage. My bike travels in the (unused) driver's cab.
    Guard is on my Christmas card list.

    >Stayed dry for me. Raining now in Woodbridge at midday.

    Pissing rain by the time we got to London (13:00, we had a reservation
    on a later train from Ispswich). Cracking ride along Lower Thames St
    and The Embankment to Victoria. Home. Sleep.

    Tim

  10. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Apparently the Barry Mason coaches did not arrive in London until 1800
    ish; I went back at 1000 with a convoy from another cycling forum (sic)
    who arrived at the food stop an hour after me (and lit up like a
    Halloween procession!) had a good convoy ride after that, it was
    getting light as we left the control. They did it last year so decided
    to organise their own coach this year, was very well organised. LSMike
    was on the Challenge, he came back with me under a different
    personality, he was easy to spot at the control, having his urc name
    printed on the back of his jersey!

  11. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Tim Hall wrote:

    > Chatted with Martin M on several occassions (each time he was looking
    > for his convoy home). Failed to remember to give him a freewheel
    > remover I had brought with me.

    thanks for bringing it, but I will probably get a new wheel, hopefully
    with a frame, groupset etc attached ;-)

  12. Zog The Undeniable wrote:

    > Funniest bit was the way everyone follows you if you seem to know
    > where you're going, and everyone stops if you stop to ask if they've
    > gone wrong. I accidentally went up a one-way street the wrong way
    > and into a car park, missing Church Path. About 30 people followed
    > me ;-)

    That bit is mad. In future I shall find my own way to the Lea Bridge
    Road...

    > Best bit was the flat road around Wattisham airfield under the moon,
    > and the last 30 miles, working out the distance remaining and then
    > realising it's only 113 miles, not 116.

    You had moonlight? (note to self: get new glasses).

    > Worst bit was freezing to death on the beach for 7 hours

    I did feel rather sorry for the collective "you lot" with that in prospect.
    Two years ago it was Scorchio! and kipping on the beach was no problem; in
    fact it was a Good Thing than Denise Wilson woke me with a cup of tea as
    otherwise I should have been /very/ late setting off back...

    It is impossible to eat a banana without looking like a tw*t.

  13. MartinM wrote:
    > Apparently the Barry Mason coaches did not arrive in London until 1800
    > ish; I went back at 1000 with a convoy from another cycling forum (sic)
    > who arrived at the food stop an hour after me (and lit up like a
    > Halloween procession!) had a good convoy ride after that, it was
    > getting light as we left the control. They did it last year so decided
    > to organise their own coach this year, was very well organised. LSMike
    > was on the Challenge, he came back with me under a different
    > personality, he was easy to spot at the control, having his urc name
    > printed on the back of his jersey!

    The coaches arrived at about 4.45. The *bikes* arrived at about 6.30.
    A cab driver was despatched to Kings Cross, where they'd got lost, to
    escort them to Smithfield Market where we were. I'm only doing it next
    year if I can find alternative transport back.

  14. LSMike

    LSMike Guest

    "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > The coaches arrived at about 4.45. The *bikes* arrived at about 6.30. A
    > cab driver was despatched to Kings Cross, where they'd got lost, to escort
    > them to Smithfield Market where we were. I'm only doing it next year if I
    > can find alternative transport back.

    anothercyclingforum.com and Aunty Charlotte. :)

  15. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    If Charlotte does not organise it next year I'll probably ride back to
    Ipswich, I thought the local train would probably be over-subscribed

  16. MartinM

  17. LSMike wrote:

    > "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>The coaches arrived at about 4.45. The *bikes* arrived at about 6.30. A
    >>cab driver was despatched to Kings Cross, where they'd got lost, to escort
    >>them to Smithfield Market where we were. I'm only doing it next year if I
    >>can find alternative transport back.

    > anothercyclingforum.com and Aunty Charlotte. :)

    I thought £30 was a lot, but that was before freezing my nads off all
    morning.

  18. LSMike wrote:

    > "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>The coaches arrived at about 4.45. The *bikes* arrived at about 6.30. A
    >>cab driver was despatched to Kings Cross, where they'd got lost, to escort
    >>them to Smithfield Market where we were. I'm only doing it next year if I
    >>can find alternative transport back.

    > anothercyclingforum.com and Aunty Charlotte. :)

    I thought £30 was a lot, but that was before freezing my nads off all
    morning.

  19. garryb59

    garryb59 Guest

    > I'm only doing it next
    >year if I can find alternative transport back.

    Had exactly those thoughts last year. It's good of Barry Mason to
    organise the transport, but once was enough for me, the waiting around
    in the cold was such a drag, as was the journey back. So this year me
    and a mate spent the whole morning burning some of the worlds
    resources and got a car secretly planted in Suffolk, and back in time
    to watch a video of Saturdays TDF time trial and the last stage live,
    it was well worth the earlier hassle.

    I would say to you that the 'transport back' is in front of your eyes,
    as it is everybody elses, but I'm not sure if I dare comtemplate that
    monstrously daunting idea just yet :) Maybe next year!

    Garry

  20. garryb59

    garryb59 Guest