Non Sealed or Cartridge Hubs???

dan666

Jul 8, 2004
Hi gang!!

I have been considering upgrading (Ohh no!!) my wheels and getting some custom made from a bike shop (Pretty cheap, Surprisingly)..

The hubs i'm interested in are called 'HOPE MONO HUB's'.... They use Cartridge bearings...

I have always had problems with bearings in hubs becoming loose over time, Its simple to fix on the cup and cone type bearings, just tighten spindle untill play is gone, but i have never owned cartridge bearing hubs before, So basically the question is.....

Are the bearings just as easy to adjust and tighten in sealed (Cartridge) bearing hubs???

Thanks for the help people :)

Dan

dan666 said:
Hi gang!!
Are the bearings just as easy to adjust and tighten in sealed (Cartridge) bearing hubs???

Cartridge bearings come in any number of variations (look at http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/products?lang=en if you want some examples)
The basic types are dependent on which directions you need them to carry load in, radially - axially or a combo of both. The cheapest/commonest ones (which you probably got) almost only carry radial load and can not be adjusted for play. When they start to display play it's time to replace them anyhow.
What might happen though is that if the bearings aren't fully seated in the hub at first, then you might need to check/tighten the axle assembly after some riding.
Actually, if the hub haven't got anything that supports the inner ring of the bearing (can't see anything like that on the schematic of the XC hub on the hope website) tightening the bearing will shorten its life considerably, because it adds an axial load that the bearing can't really deal with.

THE HOPE Bulb hub has a supporting sleeve for the inner ring of the bearing visible in the schematics, and that's a better setup.

There are bearings that can carry a combined load, but AFAIK they're not available as sealed units.

hey,

Thaks for the help. My LBS told me that sealed hubs were a million times better than the 'old' Cup and Cone type.. They said that some cartridge hubs can be adjusted but usually when the axle develops too much play then you just simply replace the bearings, and the come in a 'cage' of some sort....

I think ill take that advice and go for the newer Sealed (Cartrdge) hubs

Thank-you

Dan

My LBS told me that sealed hubs were a million times better than the 'old' Cup and Cone type.
That's bull, or at least grossly simplified. A good cup-and-cone that's properly adjusted will spin easier than a cartridge hub. Problem is that adjusting them right takes some doing whereas a cartridge hub can just be smacked together. And cutting down service times and getting more predictable results is something your LBS will appreciate quite a lot.
...when the axle develops too much play then you just simply replace the bearings,
Watch your step here. The bearing has an inner and an outer race, the inner should fit snugly to the axle and the outer should fit snugly to the hub. All rotation is taken up between the races, and that's where the play should develop when the bearings gets worn. If you've managed to develop play between axle and inner race replacing bearings probably won't help you a bit.
..and they come in a 'cage' of some sort....
I sure don't know about cages and sealed cartridge bearings. Cages gets me thinking of quite another type of bearing design.
Have a look at the bearings found in skateboard or inline skate wheels, they're also cartridge bearings, just a tad smaller than the ones in the Hope hub. Oh sidewall seal is slightly different too, but never mind that.

Hey

Judging by what you've told me then i think i should stay well away from my LBS, I think i may just get all my advice here and shop over the internet, far more simpler!!

Thanks for the help :)

Dan

dan666 said:
hey,

Thaks for the help. My LBS told me that sealed hubs were a million times better than the 'old' Cup and Cone type.. They said that some cartridge hubs can be adjusted but usually when the axle develops too much play then you just simply replace the bearings, and the come in a 'cage' of some sort....

I think ill take that advice and go for the newer Sealed (Cartrdge) hubs

Thank-you

Dan
Get the terminology right. There are cartridge bearing hubs and cup,cone and ball hubs.Both are sealed,and the shop is Full of BS.

dabac said:
That's bull, or at least grossly simplified. A good cup-and-cone that's properly adjusted will spin easier than a cartridge hub. Problem is that adjusting them right takes some doing whereas a cartridge hub can just be smacked together. And cutting down service times and getting more predictable results is something your LBS will appreciate quite a lot.
Watch your step here. The bearing has an inner and an outer race, the inner should fit snugly to the axle and the outer should fit snugly to the hub. All rotation is taken up between the races, and that's where the play should develop when the bearings gets worn. If you've managed to develop play between axle and inner race replacing bearings probably won't help you a bit.
I sure don't know about cages and sealed cartridge bearings. Cages gets me thinking of quite another type of bearing design.
Have a look at the bearings found in skateboard or inline skate wheels, they're also cartridge bearings, just a tad smaller than the ones in the Hope hub. Oh sidewall seal is slightly different too, but never mind that.

correct. i have 2 bikes, one sealed hubs, one free ball. the sealed hub is much easier to work with, very hassle free. the free ball hubs when properly tuned spin better, but need occasional adjustments. also cartridge bearings cost alot more to replace than the ballbearings.

boudreaux said:
Get the terminology right. There are cartridge bearing hubs and cup,cone and ball hubs.Both are sealed,and the shop is Full of BS.

yes i have seen people pay alot for ballbearing hubs with a little rubber seal that usually falls out. they think they are getting cartridge hubs. the LBS definately can be full of BS.