Nutrition on Audaxes reprise

vernon

Guest
Thanks folks,

Ate regularly on today's Eastern Peaks and Plains Mesh 100km permanent. It
made a lot of difference especially when combatting a headwind for nearly
40km of the ride. Selby to Wetherby might be nearly flat but there's no
hedgerows to offer protection from the againsterly and the rolling climb
fromWetherby to Boroughbridge was also made more challenging by the
headwind. Still I got round with time to spare and had two decent breaks.

A bonus for today's ride was having a colleague who came out for the ride.
He's a speed skater and uses cycling to keep in trim. He enjoyed the
experience so much he's going to join AUK and come out on some of the
permanents with me.

I'm feeling fresher than I did for the previous two Audaxes. I'm also a tad
lighter through being abstemious with the calories during the week.

Here's to the Birdwell 100km next week....

Vernon

PS - no badgers; only one fox, lots of pheasants and a few rabbits for the
roadkill roll call

vernon wrote:

> I'm feeling fresher than I did for the previous two Audaxes. I'm also a tad
> lighter through being abstemious with the calories during the week.
>
> Here's to the Birdwell 100km next week....

good stuff, all the best ;-)

> PS - no badgers; only one fox, lots of pheasants and a few rabbits for the
> roadkill roll call

no road kill at all yesterday, but a lovely gang of deer who shot
across the road in front of some horses, and then later what I thought
were muntjacs, but they turned out to be very large hares (unless I've
never seen hares before). And the shotgun people were'nt around, may be
there's none left of whatever they were after in January.

"vernon" <[email protected]>typed

> Thanks folks,

> Ate regularly on today's Eastern Peaks and Plains Mesh 100km permanent. It
> made a lot of difference especially when combatting a headwind for nearly
> 40km of the ride. Selby to Wetherby might be nearly flat but there's no
> hedgerows to offer protection from the againsterly and the rolling climb
> fromWetherby to Boroughbridge was also made more challenging by the
> headwind. Still I got round with time to spare and had two decent breaks.

Well done!

> A bonus for today's ride was having a colleague who came out for the ride.
> He's a speed skater and uses cycling to keep in trim. He enjoyed the
> experience so much he's going to join AUK and come out on some of the
> permanents with me.

Ivo Miesen is a speed skater too. Make sure your friend knows when he
reads Arrivée or visits the AUK website.

> I'm feeling fresher than I did for the previous two Audaxes. I'm also a tad
> lighter through being abstemious with the calories during the week.

Excellent!

> Here's to the Birdwell 100km next week....

Good Luck!

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

MartinM <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting

>no road kill at all yesterday, but a lovely gang of deer who shot
>across the road in front of some horses, and then later what I thought
>were muntjacs, but they turned out to be very large hares (unless I've
>never seen hares before). And the shotgun people were'nt around, may be
>there's none left of whatever they were after in January.

No roadkills today, though I was mainly off-road. A pair of kestrels
were showing off to each other.

The Remenham badgers have again enlarged their spoil heap that threatens
to slump onto the road when it rains, and fifty yards further on they've
dug an entrance at road level straight onto the tarmac. I can't
remember ever finding a dead one there, probably the cars are afraid of
them.

--
Sue ]8:))

Bicycle helmets are really a bit of a scam.
They make most cyclists slightly less safe but there's money in selling them.

vernon wrote:
> Thanks folks,
>
> Ate regularly on today's Eastern Peaks and Plains Mesh 100km permanent. It
> made a lot of difference especially when combatting a headwind for nearly
> 40km of the ride. Selby to Wetherby might be nearly flat but there's no
> hedgerows to offer protection from the againsterly and the rolling climb
> fromWetherby to Boroughbridge was also made more challenging by the
> headwind. Still I got round with time to spare and had two decent breaks.
>
> A bonus for today's ride was having a colleague who came out for the ride.
> He's a speed skater and uses cycling to keep in trim. He enjoyed the
> experience so much he's going to join AUK and come out on some of the
> permanents with me.
>
> I'm feeling fresher than I did for the previous two Audaxes. I'm also a tad
> lighter through being abstemious with the calories during the week.
>
> Here's to the Birdwell 100km next week....
>
> Vernon
>
> PS - no badgers; only one fox, lots of pheasants and a few rabbits for the
> roadkill roll call

Well done. I battled the headwind from Leeds to Wetherby to
Boroughbridge to Ripon, where I met up with some CTC chaps for lunch.
The tailwind home made it easy though, Ripon to Knaresborough to
Harrogate to Leeds. 123km

> Well done. I battled the headwind from Leeds to Wetherby to
> Boroughbridge to Ripon, where I met up with some CTC chaps for lunch.
> The tailwind home made it easy though, Ripon to Knaresborough to
> Harrogate to Leeds. 123km

Boroughbridge to York was despatched in an hour and a quarter for the 30km.
It was the fastest bit of the ride. The time gained in this stretch was
reclaimed by the wind between Selby and Wetherby plus a detour nr Boston Spa
where the road was closed by the police due to a serious accident. 108km
instead of the planned 100km. I'd love to hurtle around the roads
surrounding Cawood, Ulleskelf and Tadcaster when there's no wind.

cCan't complain though - had a good workout.

"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "vernon" <[email protected]>typed

> > A bonus for today's ride was having a colleague who came out for the

ride.
> > He's a speed skater and uses cycling to keep in trim. He enjoyed the
> > experience so much he's going to join AUK and come out on some of the
> > permanents with me.

> Ivo Miesen is a speed skater too. Make sure your friend knows when he
> reads Arrivée or visits the AUK website.

My pal, Dave Wood has retired from active competition. He was British
champion around 20 years ago though I'm not sure at what distance. He now
does it for fun on a Friday night at Bradford's ice-rink and enjoys beating
the youngsters who fancy their chances. He's likely to migrate totally to
cycling as his knee joints have taken a battering from the cornering
stresses of speed skating.

"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> vernon wrote:
> no road kill at all yesterday, but a lovely gang of deer who shot
> across the road in front of some horses, and then later what I thought
> were muntjacs, but they turned out to be very large hares (unless I've
> never seen hares before). And the shotgun people were'nt around, may be
> there's none left of whatever they were after in January.

I hade the inverse experience - a muntjac ran through the beams of my
headlights near to where I live and I had to wipe my eyes clear of
astonishment as I'd thought I'd seen a giant rabbit. It took a while to
register as a deer. I use Church Fenton air base to fly model airplanes and
dear and hares are regular interlopers. I was gob smacked by the size of
the hares the first time I saw them. Incidentally, a large number of free
flight aeromodellers use bikes to speed up the recovery of their planes from
downwind. They are motley mix of cheap/second hand shopper bikes/racers
though one modeller uses a Brompton - he has several with one reserved
exclusively for air base use.

vernon wrote:
. I'd love to hurtle around the roads
> surrounding Cawood, Ulleskelf and Tadcaster when there's no wind.

As you say though since there is no shelter there is nearly always wind
in that area. Then you have the motorcycles trying to take the racing
line on the bends since their sight lines are good too.

vernon wrote:

> 40km of the ride. Selby to Wetherby might be nearly flat but there's no
> hedgerows to offer protection from the againsterly and the rolling climb

I was round there yesterday as well around lunchtime. For me the
bit from Tadcater to Ricall/Sebly was fast :)

Going back to York was rather slower :(

And as someone else has already said, there's *always* wind round there.

Well done on the ride. Sounds a nice day out.

--
Arthur Clune

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> vernon wrote:
> . I'd love to hurtle around the roads
> > surrounding Cawood, Ulleskelf and Tadcaster when there's no wind.
> >

> As you say though since there is no shelter there is nearly always wind
> in that area. Then you have the motorcycles trying to take the racing
> line on the bends since their sight lines are good too.

Now there's a thought...... I have a Honda CB500 languishing in the garage
:)

vernon wrote:

> Here's to the Birdwell 100km next week....
>
> Vernon

I'm entered for Birdwall. See you there then eh?

Tony B

(Dawes Audax with twin lowrider mounted lights)

"Tony B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm entered for Birdwall. See you there then eh?

Yes but not for long...I normally witness the rest of the riders
disappearing into the distance as I chug along in my accustomed position as
Tail-end Charlie :)

Last year, the Birdwell was meant to be my first Audax of the year but I
managed to turn up for it a day early.....

>Tony B
> (Dawes Audax with twin lowrider mounted lights)

Vernon
Black Dawes Galaxy sporting yellow plastic coated bottle mounts and rider
sporting a Camelback Mule and an assortment of Aldi's best cycling garb.