Nutrition on Audaxes reprise

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by vernon, Mar 5, 2006.

  1. vernon

    vernon Guest

    Thanks folks,

    Ate regularly on today's Eastern Peaks and Plains Mesh 100km permanent. It
    made a lot of difference especially when combatting a headwind for nearly
    40km of the ride. Selby to Wetherby might be nearly flat but there's no
    hedgerows to offer protection from the againsterly and the rolling climb
    fromWetherby to Boroughbridge was also made more challenging by the
    headwind. Still I got round with time to spare and had two decent breaks.

    A bonus for today's ride was having a colleague who came out for the ride.
    He's a speed skater and uses cycling to keep in trim. He enjoyed the
    experience so much he's going to join AUK and come out on some of the
    permanents with me.

    I'm feeling fresher than I did for the previous two Audaxes. I'm also a tad
    lighter through being abstemious with the calories during the week.

    Here's to the Birdwell 100km next week....

    Vernon

    PS - no badgers; only one fox, lots of pheasants and a few rabbits for the
    roadkill roll call

    Tags:

  2. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    vernon wrote:

    > I'm feeling fresher than I did for the previous two Audaxes. I'm also a tad
    > lighter through being abstemious with the calories during the week.
    >
    > Here's to the Birdwell 100km next week....

    good stuff, all the best ;-)

    > PS - no badgers; only one fox, lots of pheasants and a few rabbits for the
    > roadkill roll call

    no road kill at all yesterday, but a lovely gang of deer who shot
    across the road in front of some horses, and then later what I thought
    were muntjacs, but they turned out to be very large hares (unless I've
    never seen hares before). And the shotgun people were'nt around, may be
    there's none left of whatever they were after in January.

  3. "vernon" <[email protected].net>typed

    > Thanks folks,

    > Ate regularly on today's Eastern Peaks and Plains Mesh 100km permanent. It
    > made a lot of difference especially when combatting a headwind for nearly
    > 40km of the ride. Selby to Wetherby might be nearly flat but there's no
    > hedgerows to offer protection from the againsterly and the rolling climb
    > fromWetherby to Boroughbridge was also made more challenging by the
    > headwind. Still I got round with time to spare and had two decent breaks.

    Well done!

    > A bonus for today's ride was having a colleague who came out for the ride.
    > He's a speed skater and uses cycling to keep in trim. He enjoyed the
    > experience so much he's going to join AUK and come out on some of the
    > permanents with me.

    Ivo Miesen is a speed skater too. Make sure your friend knows when he
    reads Arrivée or visits the AUK website.

    > I'm feeling fresher than I did for the previous two Audaxes. I'm also a tad
    > lighter through being abstemious with the calories during the week.

    Excellent!

    > Here's to the Birdwell 100km next week....

    Good Luck!

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  4. Sue White

    Sue White Guest

    MartinM <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting

    >no road kill at all yesterday, but a lovely gang of deer who shot
    >across the road in front of some horses, and then later what I thought
    >were muntjacs, but they turned out to be very large hares (unless I've
    >never seen hares before). And the shotgun people were'nt around, may be
    >there's none left of whatever they were after in January.

    No roadkills today, though I was mainly off-road. A pair of kestrels
    were showing off to each other.

    The Remenham badgers have again enlarged their spoil heap that threatens
    to slump onto the road when it rains, and fifty yards further on they've
    dug an entrance at road level straight onto the tarmac. I can't
    remember ever finding a dead one there, probably the cars are afraid of
    them.

    --
    Sue ]8:))

    Bicycle helmets are really a bit of a scam.
    They make most cyclists slightly less safe but there's money in selling them.

  5. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    vernon wrote:
    > Thanks folks,
    >
    > Ate regularly on today's Eastern Peaks and Plains Mesh 100km permanent. It
    > made a lot of difference especially when combatting a headwind for nearly
    > 40km of the ride. Selby to Wetherby might be nearly flat but there's no
    > hedgerows to offer protection from the againsterly and the rolling climb
    > fromWetherby to Boroughbridge was also made more challenging by the
    > headwind. Still I got round with time to spare and had two decent breaks.
    >
    > A bonus for today's ride was having a colleague who came out for the ride.
    > He's a speed skater and uses cycling to keep in trim. He enjoyed the
    > experience so much he's going to join AUK and come out on some of the
    > permanents with me.
    >
    > I'm feeling fresher than I did for the previous two Audaxes. I'm also a tad
    > lighter through being abstemious with the calories during the week.
    >
    > Here's to the Birdwell 100km next week....
    >
    > Vernon
    >
    > PS - no badgers; only one fox, lots of pheasants and a few rabbits for the
    > roadkill roll call

    Well done. I battled the headwind from Leeds to Wetherby to
    Boroughbridge to Ripon, where I met up with some CTC chaps for lunch.
    The tailwind home made it easy though, Ripon to Knaresborough to
    Harrogate to Leeds. 123km

  6. vernon

    vernon Guest

    > Well done. I battled the headwind from Leeds to Wetherby to
    > Boroughbridge to Ripon, where I met up with some CTC chaps for lunch.
    > The tailwind home made it easy though, Ripon to Knaresborough to
    > Harrogate to Leeds. 123km

    Boroughbridge to York was despatched in an hour and a quarter for the 30km.
    It was the fastest bit of the ride. The time gained in this stretch was
    reclaimed by the wind between Selby and Wetherby plus a detour nr Boston Spa
    where the road was closed by the police due to a serious accident. 108km
    instead of the planned 100km. I'd love to hurtle around the roads
    surrounding Cawood, Ulleskelf and Tadcaster when there's no wind.

    cCan't complain though - had a good workout.

  7. vernon

    vernon Guest

    "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "vernon" <[email protected]>typed

    > > A bonus for today's ride was having a colleague who came out for the

    ride.
    > > He's a speed skater and uses cycling to keep in trim. He enjoyed the
    > > experience so much he's going to join AUK and come out on some of the
    > > permanents with me.

    > Ivo Miesen is a speed skater too. Make sure your friend knows when he
    > reads Arrivée or visits the AUK website.

    My pal, Dave Wood has retired from active competition. He was British
    champion around 20 years ago though I'm not sure at what distance. He now
    does it for fun on a Friday night at Bradford's ice-rink and enjoys beating
    the youngsters who fancy their chances. He's likely to migrate totally to
    cycling as his knee joints have taken a battering from the cornering
    stresses of speed skating.

  8. vernon

    vernon Guest

    "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > vernon wrote:
    > no road kill at all yesterday, but a lovely gang of deer who shot
    > across the road in front of some horses, and then later what I thought
    > were muntjacs, but they turned out to be very large hares (unless I've
    > never seen hares before). And the shotgun people were'nt around, may be
    > there's none left of whatever they were after in January.

    I hade the inverse experience - a muntjac ran through the beams of my
    headlights near to where I live and I had to wipe my eyes clear of
    astonishment as I'd thought I'd seen a giant rabbit. It took a while to
    register as a deer. I use Church Fenton air base to fly model airplanes and
    dear and hares are regular interlopers. I was gob smacked by the size of
    the hares the first time I saw them. Incidentally, a large number of free
    flight aeromodellers use bikes to speed up the recovery of their planes from
    downwind. They are motley mix of cheap/second hand shopper bikes/racers
    though one modeller uses a Brompton - he has several with one reserved
    exclusively for air base use.

  9. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    vernon wrote:
    . I'd love to hurtle around the roads
    > surrounding Cawood, Ulleskelf and Tadcaster when there's no wind.

    As you say though since there is no shelter there is nearly always wind
    in that area. Then you have the motorcycles trying to take the racing
    line on the bends since their sight lines are good too.

  10. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    vernon wrote:

    > 40km of the ride. Selby to Wetherby might be nearly flat but there's no
    > hedgerows to offer protection from the againsterly and the rolling climb

    I was round there yesterday as well around lunchtime. For me the
    bit from Tadcater to Ricall/Sebly was fast :)

    Going back to York was rather slower :(

    And as someone else has already said, there's *always* wind round there.

    Well done on the ride. Sounds a nice day out.

    --
    Arthur Clune

  11. vernon

    vernon Guest

    "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > vernon wrote:
    > . I'd love to hurtle around the roads
    > > surrounding Cawood, Ulleskelf and Tadcaster when there's no wind.
    > >

    > As you say though since there is no shelter there is nearly always wind
    > in that area. Then you have the motorcycles trying to take the racing
    > line on the bends since their sight lines are good too.

    Now there's a thought...... I have a Honda CB500 languishing in the garage
    :)

  12. Tony B

    Tony B Guest

    vernon wrote:

    > Here's to the Birdwell 100km next week....
    >
    > Vernon

    I'm entered for Birdwall. See you there then eh?

    Tony B

    (Dawes Audax with twin lowrider mounted lights)

  13. vernon

    vernon Guest

    "Tony B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I'm entered for Birdwall. See you there then eh?

    Yes but not for long...I normally witness the rest of the riders
    disappearing into the distance as I chug along in my accustomed position as
    Tail-end Charlie :)

    Last year, the Birdwell was meant to be my first Audax of the year but I
    managed to turn up for it a day early.....

    >Tony B
    > (Dawes Audax with twin lowrider mounted lights)

    Vernon
    Black Dawes Galaxy sporting yellow plastic coated bottle mounts and rider
    sporting a Camelback Mule and an assortment of Aldi's best cycling garb.