Nutrition on Audaxes

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> davek wrote:
>
>>> I get through three litres of an energy drink with around 300 kcal/litre
>>> on
>>> the ride plus some water - I don't think I have a problem with
>>> hydration.

>> With that much fluid, you're more likely to have a problem with drowning.

> 3l in six hours isn't a lot. Except in high summer I work on one 750ml
> bottle/hr so I would easily have 3l in six hours. Of course, liquid
> drunk at cafes would count towards that.

750ml per hour is a recommended rate of consumption. I don't often exceed
it though last year's Easingwold 100 which was held on a very hot day saw me
get through around 5 litres. I remember the day well because according to
the organiser, the riders came back in three waves: the fast 100 and 200
riders suffering from heat exhausion, the slow 100 riders like me who were
just tired and the slow 200 riders who nearly drowned in the storms that
lashed the North Yorks Moors and wreaked havoc on Hawnby.

"vernon levy" <[email protected]>typed

> I now want to lose more fat and am hoping to stick with moving more and
> eating less as a general guidline.

From my experience, it is almost impossible to lose a significant amount
of weight if you are cycling close to your limits almost daily.

Slow, steady cycling might help shift the lard, but cycling close to
your maximum for hours will probably deplete your glycogen to bring you
close to bonk.

I found losing weight far easier when I was not cycling, cos eating less
did not make me feel so dire.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"vernon levy" <[email protected]>typed

> I'll certainly be getting the miles in - I'll be riding an Audax just about
> every wekend between now and July with five or six 200km ones from May
> onwards

There's ambitious!

Maybe try losing fat midweek, but otherwise give up the idea till autumn.

It takes 48 hours to rebuild your glycogen stores following an Audax and
you don't want to start another ride on low stores.

When I did many Audaxes, I was so hungry midweek that I could have eaten
my mother...

> Me losing some lard will be a great aid to upping the pace....

Yebbut losing glycogen and muscle won't aid it at all...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

> From my experience, it is almost impossible to lose a significant amount
> of weight if you are cycling close to your limits almost daily.

I will not be cycling almost daily. I do a couple of relaxed 10 - 15 milers
mid week.

> Slow, steady cycling might help shift the lard, but cycling close to
> your maximum for hours will probably deplete your glycogen to bring you
> close to bonk.
>
> I found losing weight far easier when I was not cycling, cos eating less
> did not make me feel so dire.

Looks like I'm caught between a rock and a hard place ;-)

vernon levy wrote:

> > I found losing weight far easier when I was not cycling, cos eating less
> > did not make me feel so dire.

> Looks like I'm caught between a rock and a hard place ;-)

I think Jon Senior's advice is very sensible. On the ride eat whatever
you need to avoid the bonk, and balance energy input and output over a
longer period. This doesn't mean fasting to make up for it, of course,
just adjusting the daily off-the-bike calories as necessary.

--
Dave...