Oakley Prescription question

bikeinok

Jun 14, 2005
Long time reader, first time poster here! I just bought a new pair of Oakley Valve sunglasses, and the wind and my contacts havent been getting along so i am thinking about turning my oakleys into prescription sunglasses. My RX is light, something like -2.00. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this type of thing on the board, and cost, and would they reccomend it? I thank you for your help:confused:

You can do it. Do not do it through oakley unless you want to pay $$$$. Go you your local optician and see if they can do it for you. I believe that the
curve of the valves is not that extreme.
Like I said go to you optician and they will do it for you. The cost depends on what you want. you may want to consider polycarbonate lenses since you will be using them for riding. The cost is a bit more but they will offer better shatter protection.

bikeinok said:
Long time reader, first time poster here! I just bought a new pair of Oakley Valve sunglasses, and the wind and my contacts havent been getting along so i am thinking about turning my oakleys into prescription sunglasses. My RX is light, something like -2.00. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this type of thing on the board, and cost, and would they reccomend it? I thank you for your help:confused:
My local optician did it for 2 pairs of Oakleys with my prescription for $200 each.

bikeinok said:
Long time reader, first time poster here! I just bought a new pair of Oakley Valve sunglasses, and the wind and my contacts havent been getting along so i am thinking about turning my oakleys into prescription sunglasses.
You may want to give it a few more rides to make up your mind for sure. The first time I went out with contacts and a pair of Oakley Minute sunglasses, my eyes didn't like it much at all. I had to stop a bunch of times because my eyes were tearing up so much from the wind as soon as I went faster than 15 mph. Over the next couple of rides things got progressively better and now I don't even think about it. I can easily do 50+ mile rides without any problems with the contacts.

It certainly does matter exactly how well the glasses fit your face, especially toward the top because when you're going fast, your head is often tilted down and a pair of glasses that don't fit well along the top may let too much wind in.

Berend

I've used optilabs - good quality as survived two crashes with only minor scratch :)

bikeinok said:

Your prescription is a lot weaker than mine so Oakley will do RX lenses (I have 2 pairs of RX spectacles). Don't see the point in putting non-Oakley lenses into your Valve frames. Oakley lenses ARE better - my optician doesn't sell Oakley but explained why they offer superior peripheral vision.

The other alternative is buy a pair of M Frames and wear your contacts. You'll get a pair of M Frames for less than the cost of RX lenses.

bikeinok said:
I just bought prescription Oakley sunglasses with a dark blue lens for really bright days and a light orange lens for overcast days. I love them but they are expensive. I need bifocals to read my bike computer, so my optomotrist made a stick-on bifocal lens that fits nicely at the bottom of my prescription lens which is built into the Oakley lens.

Ventouxlew

If you want prescription sunglasses, talk to Brett Hunter at Sports Optical in Lakewood, Colorado (www.sportsoptical.com, 888-807-5165). He has been making prescription lenses for Oakleys and just about any other cycling sunglasses for years, probably has more experience than anyone else out there. He does a great job, knows his limitations, and is a huge supporter of cycling in Colorado. Check him out.

I got a pair of Oakley Strait Jackets with Oakley polarized prescription lenses. Wouldn't trade them for anything. I had to pay about $350 for them, but I wear them all the time. The optics are perfect and they look like reguler Oakleys. Maybe some other lens makers can duplicate the Oakley look/quality, but I went for the sure thing.

I have M Frame for racing, and Square wire for normal work - both are excellent- and only the M Frame was made at Oakley - and replaced by them when they broke - either way is OK but if you want replacability Oakley is best - if you want disposability go to your local optician.