Of All The Rock Bands,

slovakguy

Mar 17, 2006
whom do you wish had more than a few albums?

recently i listened to Television's "Marquee Moon", marveling again at those guitars playing off one another. found myself cursing them for not producing more as a group.

Ah, Television. You're right in that they should have produced many more albums. "Little Johnny Jewel" is one of my all-time favorite songs. I heard a wild rumor, though, that back then Richard Hell might have experimented with drugs. Nirvana is another one whose tenure was cut far too short. Their uncut album is a masterpiece, and an argument can be made that all their stuff was a masterpiece. Archer's of Loaf, Morphine, the Jim Carroll Band....

There was a Boston band that formed in 1970 called The Modern Lovers. They were known for being "pre punk" because they were a precursor to the punk music movement. The original four members only recorded one studio album that was recorded in 1972 and not released until 1976 after the original four members broke up. In 2003, the album was ranked number 381 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.The Sex Pistols covered their biggest hit Road Runner on their album The Great Rock n Roll Swindle.

The lead singer Jonathan Richman got all weird and denounced the whole punk thing and went on to sing happier type songs lol. He resurrected the band with new members, but his new approach to their old songs was lacking to say the least.

Anyways the original band were pioneers and very talented. The drummer David Robinson went on to play for The Cars and keyboardist Jerry Harrison went on to play for The Talking Heads. If you never heard of Jonathan Richman he sang the theme song to the comedy movie "There is something about Mary" and that is actually him in the movie signing the song.

I always wondered what could have been of that band if they stayed together.

I'm a big fan of British music from mid-late 1960's.

If they could be reformed from that era the following bands would be on my list : The Who, Cream, Pink Floyd and the original Fleetwood Mac lineup (Peter Green etc).

Originally Posted by alienator .

I think Roger Waters' ego precludes Pink Floyd getting back together.
Live8 being the exception.

But I agree, Waters is a right pain in the neck by all accounts.

Originally Posted by limerickman .

But I agree, Waters is a right pain in the neck by all accounts.
Thankfully Jeff Beck was able to tolerate him for a spell.

Roger Waters belongs in the rock n roll a-hole hall fame with Van Morrison, Chuck Berry, David Lee Roth, and Eddie Van Halen. I know I must be missing some other worthy inductees haha.

mark174ace said:
Roger Waters belongs in the rock n roll a-hole hall fame with Van Morrison, Chuck Berry, David Lee Roth, and Eddie Van Halen. I know I must be missing some other worthy inductees haha.
Waters should go in along with the rest of Pink Floyd, including the dear departed Syd Barrett. X needed to go in years ago, so they should be inducted post haste. Given that they were the inspiration for countless bands, some of which are already in the RR Hall of Fame, it's criminal they're not in now. It's also criminal that Exene Cervenka never did a Penthouse spread.

X needed to go in years ago, so they should be inducted post haste.
most certainly! their "live at the whisky" is, in my opinion the best live album i have. got to see the tony gilkyson line-up (missed the latest incarnation with billy zoom) and they give the ramones a run for the money in how to play music for an audience. spartan light show, no fugging explosives, just great sound and song after song after song. heart and best wishes go out to exene.

slovakguy said:
most certainly!  their "live at the whisky" is, in my opinion the best live album i have.  got to see the tony gilkyson line-up (missed the latest incarnation with billy zoom) and they give the ramones a run for the money in how to play music for an audience.  spartan light show, no fugging explosives, just great sound and song after song after song.  heart and best wishes go out to exene.
I'm still trying to figure out how X hasn't been inducted to the Hall of Fame yet.

danfoz said:
 Thankfully Jeff Beck was able to tolerate him for a spell.
we finally saw JB a couples of years ago after a long wait here in my city :)

I'm still trying to figure out how X hasn't been inducted to the Hall of Fame yet.
honestly of a mixed mind on the induction thing. one half is johnny lydon's "****-on-it" attitude, while the other half sees the honour due to x as much as elvis costello and the attractions or the clash receive. ultimately, i, too have to wonder why the r n r hall hasn't seen fit to induct x. perhaps it is because they were never commercially big?

slovakguy said:
honestly of a mixed mind on the induction thing.  one half is johnny lydon's "****-on-it" attitude, while the other half sees the honour due to x as much as elvis costello and the attractions or the clash receive.  ultimately, i, too have to wonder why the r n r hall hasn't seen fit to induct x.  perhaps it is because they were never commercially big?
Maybe, but John Mellencamp and Madonna get in while X hasn't? I'm not too keen on what the RnR Hall of Fame considers rock. Nat King Cole and Billie Holiday were inducted, and while they were great, how can they be considered rock?

Maybe, but John Mellencamp and Madonna get in while X hasn't? I'm not too keen on what the RnR Hall of Fame considers rock. Nat King Cole and Billie Holiday were inducted, and while they were great, how can they be considered rock?
the organisation which runs it most likely realised that at the rate they were inducting acts, they would soon have no one left to induct without looking like complete fools (not that they haven't done enough to get at least half the way there) as they had to induct one hit wonders and going far afield to "influences" and "inspirations" for their inducted acts. i've not really had the most interest in their selections to be truthful. it has always struck me as something of a touristy place like the hard rock cafe. at least at the hard rock cafe i can get an overpriced burger and beer.

slovakguy said:
it has always struck me as something of a touristy place like the hard rock cafe.  at least at the hard rock cafe i can get an overpriced burger and beer.
I'll skip the burger and have a few extra beers instead.

i visited the Hard Rock Cafe in Beale Street Memphis, amazing street full of bars, motorbikes, music shops open at night, live music, great i ended up eating on another bar and it was the first time i got free refills for my sodas... nice

Maybe, but John Mellencamp and Madonna get in while X hasn't?
The broad deserves it. What? No one grew up in the 80's?