Rock N Roll lubed my chain!

Trekhead

Sep 10, 2005
After 5 years of spraying WD-40 on my bike chain and gears I cleaned it with brake parts cleaner, soap and water, dried, and finally applied Rock N Roll lube to the chain and wiped until most of the black gunk came off. The chain looks nice and clean and sure does shift a lot smoother! I recommend Rock N Roll lube to anyone.

Here we go again, the annual "What Chain Lube Is Best" thread.

kdelong said:
Here we go again, the annual "What Chain Lube Is Best" thread.
Monthly... :p

I was surprised that the 5 years of WD40 hasn't destroyed his drivetrain.

sogood said:
Monthly... :p

I was surprised that the 5 years of WD40 hasn't destroyed his drivetrain.
WD40 is not acid and it is better than sand and nothing:rolleyes: . In the 1970's you had a choice of motor oil, paraffin, or WD40, and it didn't destroy drivetrains then. The aversion to WD40 these days is that there are so many products available that do a much better job that it doesn't make sense to use WD40. But WD40 is excellent when used as a penetrating oil and is a part of my toolbox. I wouldn't use it as a lubricant though;) .

I used WD-40 on bike chains for years. I always had decent bikes but I never hung around bike shops or anything to really know any better. The WD-40 bottle says right on it (or used to) that you can use it on bicycles. I didn't realize you have monthly bike chain lube threads so I'm sorry to start another one. I was just sharing what I did to my bike since the forums seem like they are kind of dead.

I tried some of this stuff, and now it lools like I got a bit of blood on the piece of plastic that shields the spokes from the chain.

As far as I'm concerned, I like the sound of silence and smooth response from a freshly lubed chain. All of these lubes seem to work.

reub2000 said:
I tried some of this stuff, and now it lools like I got a bit of blood on the piece of plastic that shields the spokes from the chain.

As far as I'm concerned, I like the sound of silence and smooth response from a freshly lubed chain. All of these lubes seem to work.

WD40 is not a lubricant. That is why, when you spray it on something that is stuck, it becomes unstuck.
:D

Thinkly said:
WD40 is not a lubricant. That is why, when you spray it on something that is stuck, it becomes unstuck.
I thought WD40 was mostly a solvent with a little lubricant added, sort of like a very bad version of ProLink. I am using a homebrew version these days: Three parts oderless mineral spirits and one part motor oil.

Thinkly said:
http://wd40.com/Brands/wd40.cfm

I am not a Taleban about this stuff. Now I use whatever my bike shop gives me. For years I used motor oil, which worked really well while clean but did really build up grime.

But then again, I was younger and more enthusiastic, so I would clean my chain at least twice a week... :rolleyes:

I use white lightning wax lube. I'm not too fussy when it comes to the drivetrain. When it squeaks i lube. When it doesn't i ride. When it breaks i throw it against the wall. :D

coneofsilence said:
I use white lightning wax lube. I'm not too fussy when it comes to the drivetrain. When it squeaks i lube. When it doesn't i ride. When it breaks i throw it against the wall. :D
Have you ever thought of seeking therapy for this behavior?:D

kdelong said:
Have you ever thought of seeking therapy for this behavior?:D
I have. But i don't like white jackets. They don't suit me at all. Plus its hard to ride a bike with no arms. :D

Thinkly said:
Well it is slippery. And whatever it is, it has nack for removing rust.

I use whatever I can get at my bike shop.

What I use, Prolink Gold, I can't get at my LBS, or any of the other LBS's in the area. I have to buy it online because no one in this area carries it.

kdelong said:
What I use, Prolink Gold, I can't get at my LBS, or any of the other LBS's in the area. I have to buy it online because no one in this area carries it.
Performance always has plenty by the cash register.

reub2000 said:
Performance always has plenty by the cash register.
We just had a Performance Shop open in this area but I have yet to check it out. I'll do that now. Thanks for the tip!