off center wheel worth fixing upgading

cycler86

Dec 18, 2012
Hello, I have a 1970 Nishiki International with basic pick-a-parts on it photos are on my profile the rear wheel is off center as you can see I was wondering how this can be fixed and if it were worth maybe upgrading like 700c wheel conversion and if so what are something worth upgrading on it I generally us it for long distance commuting as well as recreation and carrying stuff I its all I have for now

i think you are talking about truing the wheel, take it to the shop, its not expensive

Before taking your wheel anywhere, make sure the hub axle is seated properly in the drop-outs. If that doesn't fix things, you can do as vspa said. A local bike shop can true the wheel for you quite easily. I'd recommend taking both wheels to be trued, though, to be sure everything is in good shape.

Originally Posted by cycler86 .

Hello, I have a 1970 Nishiki International with basic pick-a-parts on it photos are on my profile the rear wheel is off center as you can see I was wondering how this can be fixed and if it were worth maybe upgrading like 700c wheel conversion and if so what are something worth upgrading on it I generally us it for long distance commuting as well as recreation and carrying stuff I its all I have for now
The advice above is good. Have a local shop, ideally one that works with older bikes take a look at it.

It's really hard to tell much from the way those photos were shot (you do realize you can post photos directly here in the forums and don't have to bury them in your avatars collection?). But it seems likely that those are original, perhaps 27" wheels and it's not clear that the long reach brakes you have on there will allow for a swap to 700c wheels not to mention issues with axle width and freewheel compatibility if you swap to a newer wheel.

I'd talk to your local shop and have them run down your reasonable options. If it's just a wheel dish (lateral centering) issue then they may be able to sort that out for not much cash depending on how stubborn your old wheel is when it comes to spoke tension adjustments. It could also be an axle assembly issue as in a missing washer on one side or a lot of other simple things that can happen to bikes over the years. Too hard to try to explain all the options so it really is best to let a good mechanic look at it. I'd look for a shop that has been around a while and either sells refurbished bikes or at least has employees that have dealt with vintage bikes and won't just try to upsell you to newer stuff (though that might actually be a good option).

Good luck,
-Dave