ok, i need new tires.

di5308

Mar 10, 2006
Ok, so i am looking for some advice on bike tires for my road bike. 700x25c. I ride on fairly decent roads, and I'm not a weight junkie either. I just really want a good, durable tire that won't pop flats every five minutes. I ride longer distances, 60-120 miles and the tires I had on last season got flats all the time and I wasteda lot of roadside time fixing them. Any suggestions?

Conti GP 4000s and a good floor pump.

I have also bought a New Conti Ultra Gator Skin Slick to try on one of my training wheels next week.

di5308 said:
Ok, so i am looking for some advice on bike tires for my road bike. 700x25c. I ride on fairly decent roads, and I'm not a weight junkie either. I just really want a good, durable tire that won't pop flats every five minutes. I ride longer distances, 60-120 miles and the tires I had on last season got flats all the time and I wasteda lot of roadside time fixing them. Any suggestions?
I run the Conti Ultra Gatorskins on my commuter - it is a very tough tire. I use the 700x25 like you, but it also comes in 23 and 28. The tradeoff in durability is road feel. It is a hard, stiff casing, so at full pressure you are going to feel more vibration than you would on a softer tire.

Gary has made a good point, tyre pressures.
I tried 100/110 and found it a bit harsh (GP4000) so I settled for 85/95 for casual rides and 110/115 for race days. I am old, so I don't go push the bike to the limits.

michelin carbons? They are nice, and I think I run them at 110/115. I forgot if they have a 25c version, but I am sure they do (I run a 23c). They also have a nice "feel" to them.

Hi

Just thought everybody should know, the Conti GP4000's are covered by the
Continental's Performance Tyre Guarrantee in Australia, so if your tyre
is destroyed by a cut through the vectran layer, you can get it replaced for $29.90 as opposed to buying a new one for $90.00. You'll need to provide a proof of purchase in Australia. So this makes a great tire even better with this sort of warranty.

Not sure if this available in other countries but contact your distributor.

I would'nt buy anything else, given the performance and PTG.

di5308 said:
You can find Conti 3000s on closeout prices now. I've had great luck with them in 23 mm....good mileage and no flats at all (12K miles and counting). I run 100-105 psi.

The Michelin Pro Races didn't hold up well for me, but of course they do say "Race", not training or long-distance rides..... Carbons should be better for everyday use.

free_rideman said:
michelin carbons? They are nice, and I think I run them at 110/115. I forgot if they have a 25c version, but I am sure they do (I run a 23c). They also have a nice "feel" to them.

I use these and they have been great. Very durable.

Have been using the new Michelin Krylions for about a month now. They are basically a new version of the Carbons. Very nice training tire, they have a flat protection liner and look to be durable (been doing about 300km a week, no wear at all). I use the 700x25s, and at the correct pressure, they're fairly comfy as well (be sure to look at the suggested pressure for your weight that Michelin recommends, it really works). All-around excellent training tire.

You can't beat Continentals.. GP3000/GP4000 Good wear, good puncture protection, fantastic ride.

4 Seasons / Gatorskins... Great wear, great punture protection, good ride.

Jay

What makes them such a great ride compared to the michelin carbons? Just wondering, since maybe I could do for a change soon too. Any other good companies?

My choice of tire is the Gomma Italia Calypso's. They are awesome. They hook pretty nicely in the wet. I've used Gomma Italia brand tires now for three seasons.

gclark8 said:
Gary has made a good point, tyre pressures.
I tried 100/110 and found it a bit harsh (GP4000) so I settled for 85/95 for casual rides and 110/115 for race days. I am old, so I don't go push the bike to the limits.
A lot of riders are riding in the 90 to 100 range for long distance rides. Seems to give a much nicer ride. I am partial to Conti Ultragator skin 25 or 28 in the winter and GP3K in the summer (soon to go to GP4K). It has been a long time since I had a flat. I ride about 4 to 5K miles per year. I move the front tire to the rear when the rear tire gets a significant flat spot (at least 1 to 2 cm wide) and put the new tire on the front. It has significantly reduced my tire cost.