old 27" road bike

nirvana456

May 11, 2010
just converted an old 5 speed road bike to single speed. I've left the block and it still works fine. I just wondered if there are any flip-flop back wheels or hubs at least that will work with this old style frame.

nirvana456 said:
just converted an old 5 speed road bike to single speed. I've left the block and it still works fine. I just wondered if there are any flip-flop back wheels or hubs at least that will work with this old style frame.
You have a couple of obvious options ...

The first would be to buy a flip-flop hub & relace your rear rim on it ...

A "Track" compatible flip-flop hub is 120mm wide ... you can add spacers if the frame is wider.

Some flip-flop hubs are designed for frames with wider droputs.

Another option would be to buy a set of 700c wheels whose rear wheel has a flip-flop hub + buy a set of super-long Tektro brakes if your bike's current brake caliper's pad won't adjust an additional 4mm lower.

N.B. BMX Freewheels have cogs which are either compatible with a Road chain or a Track chain ...

Track cogs are available in their standard, more robust size and a narrower Road size.

In the meantime, you may want to figure out which tooth count works best for you and buy a BMX Freewheel (see attachment) from someplace like DANSCOMP.COM or your LBS (I think that most do not carry BMX stuff) or from eBay ... respace & redish the rear wheel accordingly to ensure a good chainline.