On which side do you mount?

x-no-archive:yes

> Waldo Hinshaw wrote:
> > [Or do left-handers mount from the right? Or is it just random?

> Sorry for pulling up an old thread...but I find it interesting. I always used to mount from the
> left of my bike, then I got hit by a car about 4 months ago, and couldn't lift my right leg high
> enough for a month or more - and now I always mount from the right of my bike, even though I'm
> capable of mounting both sides.

"Cheesy"

Funny you should mention this. A woman in our group today asked a guy how to mount the bike, and he
said, "lift your left leg..." I asked him why he did that, and he said, "I'm left-handed." But, I
also am left-handed, and I lift my right leg to mount the bike. I think (preliminary theory) that it
has to do with dominant eye. My right eye is dominant and so I kick a soccer ball with my right
foot, shoot a rifle using my right eye, etc. On the bike, I want my right foot to clip in the pedal
first, as I then stand up and roll away--finally clicking my left foot in. When I get off the bike,
I unclip the left foot first and put it on the ground. He does everything exactly backwards of this.
And we're both left-handers!

Pat in TX

Cheesy <[email protected]> wrote in news:3f4491d3$1_3 @news.chariot.net.au:

> Waldo Hinshaw wrote:
> > [Or do left-handers mount from the right? Or is it just random?
>

> Sorry for pulling up an old thread...but I find it interesting. I always used to mount from the
> left of my bike, then I got hit by a car about 4 months ago, and couldn't lift my right leg high
> enough for a month or more - and now I always mount from the right of my bike, even though I'm
> capable of mounting both sides.

Since my kickstands have always been on the left side of my bikes, I'm in the habit of always
mounting from the left.

My bike is always waiting for me below the 2nd story roof from which I jump, waiting for my aerial
mount, to dramatically whisk me away from the danger posed by the evil Suburban drivers. I think my
bike might watch too many old westerns.

Tony

david moore <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cheesy <[email protected]> wrote in news:3f4491d3$1_3 @news.chariot.net.au:
>
> > Waldo Hinshaw wrote:
> > > [Or do left-handers mount from the right? Or is it just random?
> >

> > Sorry for pulling up an old thread...but I find it interesting. I always used to mount from the
> > left of my bike, then I got hit by a car about 4 months ago, and couldn't lift my right leg high
> > enough for a month or more - and now I always mount from the right of my bike, even though I'm
> > capable of mounting both sides.
>
> Since my kickstands have always been on the left side of my bikes, I'm in the habit of always
> mounting from the left.

Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Most people mount from the left side. With mounting from the
right side, you may contact the Chainrings and get your leg
dirty. Regardless, always push off Chainring side, it puts
less stress on the bottom bracket and frame.

From the front, or the top - I have a trike. Even then, I usually approach from the left!

Pat <[email protected]> wrote:
: has to do with dominant eye. My right eye is dominant and so I kick a soccer ball with my right
: foot, shoot a rifle using my right eye, etc. On the bike, I want my right foot to clip in the
: pedal first, as I then stand up and roll away--finally clicking my left foot in. When I get off
: the bike, I unclip the left foot first and put it on the ground. He does everything exactly
: backwards of this. And we're both left-handers!

I'm exactly like you except I'm right-handed and I don't need to shoot a rifle.

However, on the snowboard I prefer a minority stance of right foot first.

Maybe it's all just operant conditioning.

x-no-archive:yes

"hohobike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Most people mount from the left side. With mounting from the right side, you may contact the
> Chainrings and get your leg dirty. Regardless, always push off Chainring side, it puts less stress
> on the bottom bracket and frame.

That's good to know. Yesterday, I saw a woman join the group and she was getting on by putting her
legs on either side of the bike and then lifting her rear onto the saddle. Then, tip-toeing, she
would try to get started. It seemed so strange to me. I always clip in my right foot with the
pedal near the top and then push off that way, subsequently clipping in my left foot and sitting
on the saddle.

Pat in TX

Alex Wheaton <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Or a rifle, I do suppose. Hmmm, there's the makings of a new Olympic sport in this...

I've ridden off road to the archery range with my bow slung over my back and always thought that
would make a great summer version of the biathlon.

P.S. Note the FollowUp-To. I think we're drifting off the technical aspects of biking. :)

In article <[email protected]>, usenet- [email protected] says...
> Waldo Hinshaw wrote:
> > [Or do left-handers mount from the right? Or is it just random?
>

> Sorry for pulling up an old thread...but I find it interesting. I always used to mount from the
> left of my bike, then I got hit by a car about 4 months ago, and couldn't lift my right leg high
> enough for a month or more - and now I always mount from the right of my bike, even though I'm
> capable of mounting both sides.

I did an extensive survey years ago. 97% of all cyclists mount on the same side as they dress.

Rick

I was made fun of by my riding partener just the other day due to the fact that when coming to a stop I unclip my left leg. She always unclips the right leg.

When starting I always stand to the left and swing my right leg over, clip in and push of with the left. I'm very much right hand and leg dominant, as in when I hacky sack my left leg is for standing on.

I get on my bike typically from the left, but clip in my left foot, and swing my right... when I
unclip, it's usually unclip the right, and balance on my right, before kicking off, with my left
pedal in the downward stroke...

"Chotch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I was made fun of by my riding partener just the other day due to the fact that when coming to a
> stop I unclip my left leg. She always unclips the right leg.
>
> When starting I always stand to the left and swing my right leg over, clip in and push of with the
> left. I'm very much right hand and leg dominant, as in when I hacky sack my left leg is for
> standing on.

> thought of using my other leg. Habits are so weird.

>Java Man (Espressopithecus) <[email protected]> wrote:
>>I did an extensive survey years ago. 97% of all cyclists mount on the same side as they dress.
>What does dressing from one side mean?

The side of the crotch of the trousers that men ordinarily keep their genitalia in, assuming that
they have any definite preference.

David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:
: <[email protected]> wrote:
:>Java Man (Espressopithecus) <[email protected]> wrote:
:>>I did an extensive survey years ago. 97% of all cyclists mount on the same side as they dress.
:>What does dressing from one side mean?

: The side of the crotch of the trousers that men ordinarily keep their genitalia in, assuming that
: they have any definite preference.

In that case, I guess the 3% in that extensive survey were female.

[email protected] says...
> David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:
> : <[email protected]> wrote:
> :>Java Man (Espressopithecus) <[email protected]> wrote:
> :>>I did an extensive survey years ago. 97% of all cyclists mount on the same side as they dress.
> :>What does dressing from one side mean?
>
> : The side of the crotch of the trousers that men ordinarily keep their genitalia in, assuming
> : that they have any definite preference.
>
> In that case, I guess the 3% in that extensive survey were female.

Yes, and I wouldn't have asked them, but they fooled me at first.

;-)

Rick

hohobike <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Most people mount from the left side. With mounting from the right side, you may contact the
> Chainrings and get your leg dirty. Regardless, always push off Chainring side, it puts less stress
> on the bottom bracket and frame.

The real reason that Australians mount from the left is because you can stand on the curb for a bit
of extra height and when you take off you are going with the flow of the traffic. Also as someone
mentioned earlier, if you mount from the right you stand a good chance of getting hit by a car as
you get on.

Marty

Marty <[email protected]> wrote:

: The real reason that Australians mount from the left is because you can stand on the curb for a
: bit of extra height and when you take off you are going with the flow of the traffic. Also as
: someone mentioned earlier, if you mount from the right you stand a good chance of getting hit by a
: car as you get on.

Aha, so it's evolution working over the centuries. Do you think mounting-from-the-right gene is
recessive?