"Ooops I did it again"

mrowkoob

Dec 23, 2003
Oh no not again I thought yesterday.
I had just crashed badly after my chain snapped while sprinting.
So a quick systems check resulted in all systems up and running no broken bones just bruises, ripped clothing and a cracked helmet. Well **** happens.

So I started checking my dearly beloved Klein....
Snapped chain, snapped derailleur, bent crank, smashed right STI....and worst of all bent b-stay. F**k!!!

Judgment came today at the LBS. New frame,derailleur,crankset and right shifter.... Well allmost a new bike.
It´s the second time in a year I pull off a stunt like this.
Sad part my insurance only covers theft not solo accidents...
Again.... I walked away.... and it´s "only" a bike.
But still we are in a recers forum you fellow riders if any (the wife does´nt) will understand. Buhahauhaaaaaaaahuhhuuuuuuu!!!!! my bike!

Oh well now I get to have fun with buying a new bike. I´m thinking of the new Scott CR1 teamissue frame. Although when picturing mselft crashing that one I almost loose my mind...

So I cant be the only one loosing a loved one once every so often? How often do you crash in a season (races excluded)?
Any lucky escapes or good tips on how to save your bruised equipment?

Originally posted by mrowkoob
Oh no not again I thought yesterday.
I had just crashed badly after my chain snapped while sprinting.

It´s the second time in a year I pull off a stunt like this.
If it was me, I'd be working on figuring out the chain failure problem. That's just wrong.

Yeah well the first crash was not due to chainbreakage.
That was in a showing match for positions ending in a ditch....with the frame wrapped around a road tree but that´s a whole other story.

The chain was nearing the end of it´s service at around 3000 miles but still... OUCH. And yes it was meticolously maintained.
I´m goin to change from shimano to Sram chains and cassettes if the rest of the group is salvagable. I put it down to an "accident" but I guess If I lived in the US I could sue Shimano just for the heck of it? Maybe I´ll call up Earl Schwab ;-)

Well, when you bought your Klein, you knew that as an Al frame it wouldn't survive a serious crash, right?

Properly-installed chains don't just break. Were you messing with it?

Yuck -- that stinks, buddy. Glad you made it out with no major injuries, but sheesh... poor bike.

G'day,

I can relate. I saved & saved until I could afford my first 'real' racer with decent wheels & gruppo (been riding & racing rubbish for years cos it was all I could afford). Unviel the new 'beast' at a club crit...1st time out....about 40 minutes into the crit....I've got about 4th wheel...the cretin on the front of the 'train' touches a pedal thru the corner, highsides it & brings us all down. I land on the guy in front of me, but the bike doesn't fair as well. Destroyed the front wheel, the left STI lever, rear derailer...many scratches...sob...sob.....got it all fixed eventually but she's never been the same,

cheers,

Hitchy

Originally posted by Squint
Well, when you bought your Klein, you knew that as an Al frame it wouldn't survive a serious crash, right?

Properly-installed chains don't just break. Were you messing with it?

Yes I was aware of the fact of the chance of survival. However I was´nt really prepared to crash badly once a year.... Makes having expensive frames a little less pleasurable. But ok **** happens.

No I didn´t mess with the chain. I do put a lot of watts in it though and maybe a bit too many hours I guess.

youre too powerful? dont flatter yourself. too bad you dont have more brains instead of brawn so you could properly install a chain.

hey heres an idea, stop wrecking your bikes. trust me, its good advice. if you want you could just not buy a replacement and burn the money or give it to me.

Man I feel for you.

I crashed once in the last year due to a flat tyre on a hair pin, lost some skin off my elbow but still raced 10 min later.

Try MTB to improve your skills and crashing techniques. You will improve your cornering, jumping, handleing and the frequency of crashing/dabbing/involuntary dismounts will teach you how to crash.

It hurts that the bike is bent. I broke my frame 6 months ago and am waiting on a warrenty claim. Beg, borrow or steal a pub bike and use it to stay in form as you save for the next bike. My last two racing bikes were

1. a pub bike I bought for $10, and
2. borrowed of someone who pittied me racing the pub bike.

They will keep you in form, and the next bike will feel sweet.

Brian

P.S forget the steal part it's an expression.

Originally posted by fushman
youre too powerful? dont flatter yourself. too bad you dont have more brains instead of brawn so you could properly install a chain.

hey heres an idea, stop wrecking your bikes. trust me, its good advice. if you want you could just not buy a replacement and burn the money or give it to me.

Well I have a high watt test and a high watt/kg test. What I dont have compared to A riders and pros is endurance. And I´m basically too heavy for anything except track.

As for my Brain it is intact :) I´m both an MD and soon have a phd (any damage is guiness induced). I guess your just jealous of my Klein Eh? Right could be bad setup, but my mechanic at the LBS (besides from being a good friend) is certainly someone I trust with my bikes.

But ofcourse your advice to stop wrecking my bikes is something I would very much like to live up too so thanks for that the thought never ocurred to me ;-)

Originally posted by mrowkoob
Yes I was aware of the fact of the chance of survival. However I was´nt really prepared to crash badly once a year.... Makes having expensive frames a little less pleasurable. But ok **** happens.

No I didn´t mess with the chain. I do put a lot of watts in it though and maybe a bit too many hours I guess.

Everytime I hear about a totaled frame, it's almost always aluminum.

How many watts do you put out and how much do you weigh? The amount of force required to break a chain is around 11,000 Newtons which I think is about 2,500 lbs.

Originally posted by Squint
How many watts do you put out and how much do you weigh? The amount of force required to break a chain is around 11,000 Newtons which I think is about 2,500 lbs.
That's on paper, of course, in theoretical land. We don't know anything about this actual chain. Sure, it could have been improperly installed or tweaked, but it just as easily could have shipped from the factory with a critical weakness or defect. It's also possible that mrowkoob is a Titan. Who knows, eh?

yup you may not be good at installing chains or keeping your balance but you sure figured me out -- im jeleous of your klein, cause my silly bike is actually in one peice and like goes forward when i turn the pedals and stuff. darn, i hate that!

Fushman -- I'm not sure what thread your posts 1 through 3 are featured on, but if you're just trying to aggravate folks without cause, 2 for 5 isn't a bad forum debut. Charming. Pleasant.

lokstah, thanks for policing the forums, keep up the good work!

but seriously this thread is just stupid to begin with, why do i care that he cant ride a bike? im sorry but the original poster needs to look elsewhere for sympathy.

Originally posted by fushman
lokstah, thanks for policing the forums, keep up the good work!

but seriously this thread is just stupid to begin with, why do i care that he cant ride a bike? im sorry but the original poster needs to look elsewhere for sympathy.
Ahh, a humanist. And compassionate at that. No really; I'm just not sure why you'd speak to a perfect stranger quite so rudely, ya know? I don't suppose you'd ridicule this guy to his face if he walked into a shop with the problem he's described.

Like being behind the wheel, for some, dialogue over the internet is just impersonal enough that they toss all basic standards of human interaction out the window and just act a jerk because they feel like it.

If that's you, I suppose that's just you. Sorry for being such a boy scout. Still, if you're a caustic turd on a regular basis, folks will give you advice from time to time: if the thread is so stupid, just be a big boy and scroll on by.

im just trying to help the guy out and get him to realize its prolly his own fault even tho hes in denial and that it might be best to take up a safer sport like miniture golf.

Originally posted by fushman [/i]
yup you may not be good at installing chains or keeping your balance but you sure figured me out

His chain broke and it was his Bike Shop that fitted it. Why do you have such a problem with that? It happens and he asked a question. Reading your responses, perhaps we've all figured you out - Oh, Crashless-One.

Have fun,
Eoin

Right.

It's like you said yourself, Fush: why should you care? Just scroll on by...