Optima headset troubles

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Ernie Daniel, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Ernie Daniel

    Ernie Daniel Guest

    I have an Optima Baron with only 27 miles on it. The headset has been adjusted 5 times. It has been
    taken apart twice to check for broken parts. This is the needle bearing headset that sits on a
    shallow taper. When the bearings get just a little loose, the headset will slide on the taper
    approx. 1/8 of an inch in any direction. It has been adjusted to Optima's suggested torque. Anybody
    have any problem with the headset? If so, how did you fix it?

    Tags:

  2. Ernie Daniel

    Ernie Daniel Guest

    I have an Optima Baron with only 27 miles on it. The headset has been adjusted 5 times. It has been
    taken apart twice to check for broken parts. This is the needle bearing headset that sits on a
    shallow taper. When the bearings get just a little loose, the headset will slide on the taper
    approx. 1/8 of an inch in any direction. It has been adjusted to Optima's suggested torque. Anybody
    have any problem with the headset? If so, how did you fix it?

  3. Don Smith

    Don Smith Guest

    Ernie Daniel <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have an Optima Baron with only 27 miles on it. The headset has been adjusted 5 times. It has
    > been taken apart twice to check for broken parts. This is the needle bearing headset that sits on
    > a shallow taper. When the bearings get just a little loose, the headset will slide on the taper
    > approx. 1/8 of an inch in any direction. It has been adjusted to Optima's suggested torque.
    > Anybody have any problem with the headset? If so, how did you fix it?

    Ernie, This is a common problem on the Baron. There is nothing wrong with the headset. The problem
    is that the star nut inside the steerer tube is not locked in. If you keep trying to adjust the
    headset, you will eventually draw the star nut right out of the steerer tube. The best cure I know
    of is the Azonic Headlock System. It is a long allen bolt/cap with a special nut, and it runs all
    the way through the stem, headtube, and fork, eliminating the need for a star nut inside the steerer
    tube. You can purchase one from Price Point...look under "headsets". http://www.pricepoint.com/ Here
    is a pic of the Headlock System http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/1335702.jpg

    Don

  4. Don Smith

    Don Smith Guest

    Ernie Daniel <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have an Optima Baron with only 27 miles on it. The headset has been adjusted 5 times. It has
    > been taken apart twice to check for broken parts. This is the needle bearing headset that sits on
    > a shallow taper. When the bearings get just a little loose, the headset will slide on the taper
    > approx. 1/8 of an inch in any direction. It has been adjusted to Optima's suggested torque.
    > Anybody have any problem with the headset? If so, how did you fix it?

    Ernie, This is a common problem on the Baron. There is nothing wrong with the headset. The problem
    is that the star nut inside the steerer tube is not locked in. If you keep trying to adjust the
    headset, you will eventually draw the star nut right out of the steerer tube. The best cure I know
    of is the Azonic Headlock System. It is a long allen bolt/cap with a special nut, and it runs all
    the way through the stem, headtube, and fork, eliminating the need for a star nut inside the steerer
    tube. You can purchase one from Price Point...look under "headsets". http://www.pricepoint.com/ Here
    is a pic of the Headlock System http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/1335702.jpg

    Don

  5. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    [email protected] (Don Smith) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Ernie Daniel <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I have an Optima Baron with only 27 miles on it. The headset has been adjusted 5 times. It has
    >> been taken apart twice to check for broken parts. This is the needle bearing headset that sits on
    >> a shallow taper. When the bearings get just a little loose, the headset will slide on the taper
    >> approx. 1/8 of an inch in any direction. It has been adjusted to Optima's suggested torque.
    >> Anybody have any problem with the headset? If so, how did you fix it?
    >
    > Ernie, This is a common problem on the Baron. There is nothing wrong with the headset. The problem
    > is that the star nut inside the steerer tube is not locked in. If you keep trying to adjust the
    > headset, you will eventually draw the star nut right out of the steerer tube. The best cure I know
    > of is the Azonic Headlock System. It is a long allen bolt/cap with a special nut, and it runs all
    > the way through the stem, headtube, and fork, eliminating the need for a star nut inside the
    > steerer tube. You can purchase one from Price Point...look under "headsets".
    > http://www.pricepoint.com/ Here is a pic of the Headlock System
    > http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/1335702.jpg
    >
    > Don

    There is an item that MAY work that is far cheaper, and I suspect lighter weight. It is made by
    Modus,model MX-6. It amounts to a huge aluminum expansion plug that tightens with a socket head
    screw, thus eliminating the questionable "star fangled nut". They are about U$5 at the local bike
    shop. As I said, this may work in your application. I have one I'm using in a trike.

    happy trails, rorschandt

  6. Rorschandt