orthotics

djlance

May 17, 2005
i use customized orthotics on my specialized 2005 shoes. i have sort of a leg length problem so i stack 6 wedges to help lift my left leg. When i pedal down my right leg if correct...correct form everything no problems. But when i pedal with my left leg for some reason i feel as if im stretching so it causes me to have some discomfort in my genital region and when i look and my leg it looks as if its stiff no muscle popping out like my right. I use speedplay pedals and i notice on my right leg my heel comes in a little but on my left it doesnt so when i do turn it in it causes my strecthcing to hurt worse. I other words my left leg goes straght down i mean i can see muscle but its not as defined on the inner calf muscle should i take out my orthotic in my left leg and just use the wedges to help or should i move my cleat forward or back. ANy suggestions would help

I also use orthotics and have a slight leg length issue too - as most people have I suspect.
Anyway, I'd keep the orthotics in there and continue with the wedges. Instead I'd look at the cleat position, fore to aft, to ensure the ball of your feet are over the pedal spindle. Also I'd check your saddle position and compare where your knee is over the pedals for each leg.

I suspect you'll find one optimum saddle position for your left leg that doesn't match the right leg. Splitting the difference between them may be your best option. A good LBS should be able to help with that as it's a fit issue.

You might also visit an orthopedist/physical therapist to see if there is a strength imbalance issue with your legs.

hope this helps!