Osama Bin Laden has been killed!

So?

Religious extremism is dead too?

Terroristic acts will now cease?

Peace is restored throughout the world now?

Good to know there won't be any calls for retribution amongst his followers./img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Good to know that these organizations don't have any capable or willing individuals to replace Bin Laden if, in fact, he is dead. US media has always been known to report truthfully, and can be fully trusted to report honestly on all things related to international relations./img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

By no means is the war on terror over, and acts of terrorism are sure to continue. However, the death of the most-wanted terrorist in the world marks a huge milestone in the war on terror, and justice has now been served after nearly 10 years to the victims of the worst terrorist attack on the US in its history.

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

So?

Religious extremism is dead too?

Terroristic acts will now cease?

Peace is restored throughout the world now?

Good to know there won't be any calls for retribution amongst his followers./img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Good to know that these organizations don't have any capable or willing individuals to replace Bin Laden if, in fact, he is dead. US media has always been known to report truthfully, and can be fully trusted to report honestly on all things related to international relations./img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif
Do you have a point, or do you just like whining? It looks like the latter to me.

I never met Bin Laden so I guess I won't miss him that much.

Originally Posted by Yojimbo_ .

Do you have a point, or do you just like whining? It looks like the latter to me.
Someone please help Einstein connect the dots.
LOL! The parallel is remarkable: one anonomous idiot dies down and he's quickly replaced by his cousin; Bin Laden may have been removed, another will soon fill the void...

Bin Laden may have fell victim to a modern-day lynch mob mentality...still tryin' to find those WMD Bush was touting...

Originally Posted by cyberlegend1994 .

By no means is the war on terror over, and acts of terrorism are sure to continue. However, the death of the most-wanted terrorist in the world marks a huge milestone in the war on terror, and justice has now been served after nearly 10 years to the victims of the worst terrorist attack on the US in its history.
LOL! Justice? Really? Vigilante justice - yea. Charles Bronson, a la Death Wish, justice - yea.
So, let's set this justice scenario straight: I believe you killed my family. So I kill you. No trial. No witnesses called for or against. Justice is served? Right?
What year is this? 1811? Oops, it's 2011...

LOL! Justice? Really? Vigilante justice - yea. Charles Bronson, a la Death Wish, justice - yea.
So, let's set this justice scenario straight: I believe you killed my family. So I kill you. No trial. No witnesses called for or against. Justice is served? Right?

What if the person admitted on video tape to being responsible for the death of your family? What if your family was composed of over 3,000 people?

I won't be stupid enough to believe this will really change anything for the better. It might even make things a bit harder for a while if there is a backlash. But I won't sit here for a single minute and listen to someone argue that he deserved a trial or that there was a question in a single rational person's mind as to whether or not Bin Laden was responsible for the attacks.

Do you think that he would have given himself up to the soldiers that came in to that compound? I guarantee he would have offed himself or a close associate would have done it for him if they knew there was no escaping. People that want to argue that this was not the right thing have too much time on their hands.

Originally Posted by bkwitche .

What if the person admitted on video tape to being responsible for the death of your family? What if your family was composed of over 3,000 people?

I won't be stupid enough to believe this will really change anything for the better. It might even make things a bit harder for a while if there is a backlash. But I won't sit here for a single minute and listen to someone argue that he deserved a trial or that there was a question in a single rational person's mind as to whether or not Bin Laden was responsible for the attacks.

Do you think that he would have given himself up to the soldiers that came in to that compound? I guarantee he would have offed himself or a close associate would have done it for him if they knew there was no escaping. People that want to argue that this was not the right thing have too much time on their hands.
If ifs and buts were candies and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas.

You're emotional over this. Understandably, you feel the way you do.

I will argue that the notion of "an eye for eye" is antiquated. Doesn't mean that it will ever be eliminated from the minds of those who allow their emotions to control their actions...

A sea burial within 24 hours ? No evidence posted ?

And just before the 10 year anniversary & as a major ra-ra for a president that got office purely on merit that needs a boost to get a second term ?

Well he's dead and no amount of words is going to change it. Happy, sad, or ambivalent....its been done. I did get a kick out of the Islamic clerics who said that burying him at sea was being disrespectful. Since when did Osama Bin Laden deserve any respect?

Originally Posted by kdelong .

Well he's dead and no amount of words is going to change it. Happy, sad, or ambivalent....its been done. I did get a kick out of the Islamic clerics who said that burying him at sea was being disrespectful. Since when did Osama Bin Laden deserve any respect?

LOL! So you're the kind that believes everything you see on TV or read in the newspapers, eh? Good on ya'...

tonyzackery said:
For the record, I don't believe U.S. forces had the intent to kill Bin Laden, only to capture him. However, from the information that has been reported, it looks to me like either Bin Laden or his henchmen made an attempt on the lives on those troops when they tried to capture him, so they were within their right to use deadly force to defend themselves. My comment about justice being served is pretty much echoed by every red-blooded American citizen in the U.S. Yeah, he can no longer harm anyone else in the world, and his victims can't be brought back and it won't ease the pain the families of the victims will continue to endure for quite some time, but the victims' families now have some closure. Now let's refrain from passing further judgment and keep this discussion civil please.

Originally Posted by cyberlegend1994 .

Quote: Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

For the record, I don't believe U.S. forces had the intent to kill Bin Laden, only to capture him. However, from the information that has been reported, it looks to me like either Bin Laden or his henchmen made an attempt on the lives on those troops when they tried to capture him, so they were within their right to use deadly force to defend themselves.

My comment about justice being served is pretty much echoed by every red-blooded American citizen in the U.S. Yeah, he can no longer harm anyone else in the world, and his victims can't be brought back and it won't ease the pain the families of the victims will continue to endure for quite some time, but the victims' families now have some closure.

Now let's refrain from passing further judgment and keep this discussion civil please.

LOL! Yeah, my blood's not red?! Nice catch on the "... in the US" part. Regardless of your attempt to appeal to the masses, there are those of us red-blooded Americans in America and abroad that think rationally and don't allow emotion to evoke knee-jerk reactions. Laughable that you can begin to think that you speak for "every red-blooded American in the US".

For the record, you don't really know what transpired with regard to bin Laden. You've read and watched reports that he's dead. Good luck with that. It's alleged that his body was "buried at sea". Hmmm...okay. Nothing potentially shady about that. Definitely not trying to hide anything.

Lastly, your beliefs are as (in)valid as mine - lest you forget...and please do let me know when I respond in kind to some uncivility - but doubt you have the authority to outlaw the passing of judgement and sarcasm; otherwise there wouldn't be much to this, or any other forum...furthermore, doubt the forces that went in to apprehend bin Laden didn't think they were the judge and jury; but hey, it's been reported that he's dead so that MUST be the case...

edit: if qualifying to be a red-blooded American requires consistently and without skepticism believing what I'm told from US media sources when it comes to international relations, then you're probably right - my blood's color is probably any color but red...I applaud you for being a good red-blooded American...politicians legitimately count on the backing of the "red-blooded Americans" for the financing of the so-called "war on terror"...eye-for-an-eye = closure for 9/11 victims' families? Okay. What'll be very interesting are the details that get leaked out regarding the mission (from unnameable sources, of course) in the coming days...

^ Well we obviously agree to disagree... I'm sure if it turns out that there was any wrongdoing on the part of the U.S. troops, they will be held accountable. May I also point out that - even though the circumstances were different in this case - the U.S. did not kill Saddam Hussein, we simply captured him and turned him over to Iraq to face their justice system. Just an example of the misconception that many people have where they believe that our troops act as judge and jury, I don't believe that for a minute.

LOL! The parallel is remarkable: one anonomous idiot dies down and he's quickly replaced by his cousin; Bin Laden may have been removed, another will soon fill the void...

Bin Laden may have fell victim to a modern-day lynch mob mentality...still tryin' to find those WMD Bush was touting...

Oh come on Stinky. Tell us what you really think - if you can think that is.

^^^ yawn...I'll wait and see if moderators act on this incivility before I respond./img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Bin Laden has had almost 10 years to turn himself in and face a trial. So I feel justice was served by killing him if he resisted arrest.

This is a war on Terrorism. Bin Laden got what he had coming. If you cant see that you are blind. When others step up to take his place they can be prepared to join him.

You looking for a "WMD". Hows a 747 aircraft grab your attention. I am sure we could have found loads of these scattered throughout Iraq.
Bin Laden fell victim to his arrogance.