OT: Girl's tragic end...

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ferrante, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Ferrante

    Ferrante Guest

    I am really bummed out. I could not believe it when my dad told me this a.m. that they found the
    little girl's body who had been abducted. I had hoped so much that they would find her alive. I
    don't know how they will do it, but I pray that her family and friends make it through this.

    I also feel sorry for the family of the man who did this. I have not watched the news yet, but I
    was told he had kids, wife, and according to neighbors seemed like a normal guy. Just imagine what
    his kids and wife will have to endure. I also hope that people don't fault them for what the father
    did (imagine kids in school). That bastard only thought of himself, and thank God that camera was
    where it was.

    Mark Anthony Ferrante

    Tags:

  2. "FERRANTE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>

    "and according to neighbors seemed like a normal guy."

    <more snip>

    "Seemed" being the operative word...

    From MSNBC.com.

    "Smith has been arrested at least 13 times in Florida since 1993, according to state records. He was
    arrested in 1997 in Manatee County on kidnapping and false imprisonment charges, but was acquitted a
    year later.

    Smith served 17 months in prison for heroin possession and prescription drug fraud and was released
    in 2003. He was arrested eight days later on the cocaine possession charge and was placed on
    probation for three years. In 1998, he was acquitted of kidnapping and false imprisonment of a 20-year-
    old woman. She told deputies that 'he got on top of me and told me to shut up or he would cut me.'

    Smith called it a misunderstanding.

    'He testified he believed the woman was going to try to harm herself by throwing herself into
    traffic,' said prosecutor Brian Iten, who said the acquittal surprised him. 'He said she
    misinterpreted his actions because of his tattoos.'

    Normal? Hardly. Should have been off the street long ago? Most likely.

    'Tis a shame the way the world seems to be headed.

    Jason

  3. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    FERRANTE wrote:

    > I am really bummed out. I could not believe it when my dad told me this a.m. that they found the
    > little girl's body who had been abducted. I had hoped so much that they would find her alive. I
    > don't know how they will do it, but I pray that her family and friends make it through this.

    Yeah, I got up this morning a little before 7, turned on the tv thinking they must have found
    that girl by now, one way or another. It was distressing but not surprising at how they found
    her. Poor kid.

    After watching her mother begging for her return, it was even more hurtful.

    nancy

  4. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "FERRANTE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am really bummed out. I could not believe it when my dad told me this a.m. that they found the
    > little girl's body who had been abducted. I had hoped so much that they would find her alive. I
    > don't know how they will do it, but I pray that her family and friends make it through this.
    >
    > I also feel sorry for the family of the man who did this. I have not watched the news yet, but I
    > was told he had kids, wife, and according to neighbors seemed like a normal guy. Just imagine what
    > his kids and wife will have to endure. I also hope that people don't fault them for what the
    > father did (imagine kids in school). That bastard only thought of himself, and thank God that
    > camera was where it was.
    >
    > Mark Anthony Ferrante

    I believe this person (man) should be granted a fair and speedy trial - like this week and any
    sentence performed within one week of a conviction (in Public).

    Dimitri

  5. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Jason Tinling wrote:
    > "FERRANTE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]... <snip>
    >
    > "and according to neighbors seemed like a normal guy."
    >
    > <more snip>
    >
    > "Seemed" being the operative word...

    Yeah, I hear Ted Bundy was a genuinely nice guy, and everyone thought Jeffrey Dahmer was a
    good neighbor.

    Jill

  6. Ferrante

    Ferrante Guest

    >Normal? Hardly. Should have been off the street long ago? Most likely.

    I agree with you, but understand, when the neighbor said "normal" they were unaware of his history.

    Mark

    >'Tis a shame the way the world seems to be headed.
    >
    >Jason

  7. John Gaquin

    John Gaquin Guest

    "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%_OUb.32374

    > I believe this person (man) should be granted a fair and speedy trial -
    like
    > this week and any sentence performed within one week of a conviction (in Public).

    This is the type of case where you could make a legitimate argument for such a policy. They have him
    on video abducting, they have hard evidential link between the girl and his car, they have the body,
    and if they now establish a DNA link, then I could support an accelerated process. Punishment would,
    IMO, serve more effectively as deterrent if administered while the event is still in the news.

  8. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >"Jason Tinling" boasted:
    >
    >'Tis a shame the way the world seems to be headed.

    Yeah, more and more smarmy douche bags like you... a sneaky snake who would remove the "OT" from the
    Subject line. You NEWBIE piece of shit! ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without
    tribulation."

  9. "PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote his usual

    Sheldon, relax, go pet your cats. Plow the back 40, something.

    Although I feel a bit slighted, it's taken this many years for you to *notice* me. Shall I class
    Dimitri in with me in the newbie camp who's newsreaders remove the OT in replies?

    Muchos besos, Jason

  10. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    Dimitri wrote:
    > I believe this person (man) should be granted a fair and speedy trial
    > - like this week and any sentence performed within one week of a conviction (in Public).

    While the man is obviously guilty, he deserves all the rights that any other U.S. citizen has -- the
    right to a fair trial, right to appeal, right to humane treatment, et al.

    More importantly, any capital or otherwise irreversible punishment needs to be delayed for appeals,
    uncovering new evidence, etc. Once you flip the switch, there is no going back.

    --
    John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/ [email protected]

  11. Noname

    Noname Guest

    > I am really bummed out. I could not believe it when my dad told me this a.m. that they found the
    > little girl's body who had been abducted. I had hoped so much that they would find her alive. I
    > don't know how they will do it, but I pray that her family and friends make it through this.
    >
    > I also feel sorry for the family of the man who did this. I have not watched the news yet, but I
    > was told he had kids, wife, and according to neighbors seemed like a normal guy. Just imagine what
    > his kids and wife will have to endure. I also hope that people don't fault them for what the
    > father did (imagine kids in school). That bastard only thought of himself, and thank God that
    > camera was where it was.

    Doubtful. That mans family will pay the price for his deeds for many years. They'll have to leave
    their current home, move somewhere else where they might be unknown - perhaps adopting the mothers
    maiden name, etc.

    People in the U.S. seem unable to separate the family from the individual who committed
    the vile act.

  12. Tank

    Tank Guest

    "John Gaughan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > While the man is obviously guilty, he deserves all the rights that any other U.S. citizen has --
    > the right to a fair trial, right to appeal, right to humane treatment, et al.
    >
    > More importantly, any capital or otherwise irreversible punishment needs to be delayed for
    > appeals, uncovering new evidence, etc. Once you flip the switch, there is no going back.

    Tell that to Carlie.

    --
    Tank

    This Space To Let.

  13. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "John Gaquin"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%_OUb.32374
    > >
    > > I believe this person (man) should be granted a fair and speedy trial -
    > like
    > > this week and any sentence performed within one week of a conviction (in Public).
    >
    > This is the type of case where you could make a legitimate argument for such a policy. They have
    > him on video abducting, they have hard evidential link between the girl and his car, they have the
    > body, and if they now establish a DNA link, then I could support an accelerated process.
    > Punishment would, IMO, serve more effectively as deterrent if administered while the event is
    > still in the news.

    This is a lynch mob mentality. The legal system moves very slowly for good reason. Once you
    circumvent the procedures designed to protect the innocent, then who gets to decide when it's OK to
    do this and when it isn't? I sure don't want to be the victim of a capricious legal system.

    You can't bring the girl back. There can be no justice in lynching the guy. It's not easy to do the
    right thing, but we need to anyway.

    --
    Dan Abel Sonoma State University AIS [email protected]

  14. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    noname wrote:

    > People in the U.S. seem unable to separate the family from the individual who committed the
    > vile act.

    It's not just a "people in the U.S." thing. The Europeans have been attacking Jews for over 1000
    years for being "Christ killers." While the term is *partially* true (without going into the
    theological responsibility we all have, calling the Jews "Christ killers" ignores the Romans' part
    in the deed), I doubt any Jews alive today were present 2000+ years ago.

    Best regards, Bob

  15. In article <[email protected]>, "Jason
    Tinling" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "FERRANTE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]... <snip>
    >
    > "and according to neighbors seemed like a normal guy."
    >
    > <more snip>
    >
    > "Seemed" being the operative word...
    >
    > From MSNBC.com.
    >
    > "Smith has been arrested at least 13 times in Florida since 1993, according to state records. He
    > was arrested in 1997 in Manatee County on kidnapping and false imprisonment charges, but was
    > acquitted a year later.
    >
    > Smith served 17 months in prison for heroin possession and prescription drug fraud and was
    > released in 2003. He was arrested eight days later on the cocaine possession charge and was placed
    > on probation for three years. In 1998, he was acquitted of kidnapping and false imprisonment of a
    > 20-year-old woman. She told deputies that 'he got on top of me and told me to shut up or he would
    > cut me.'
    >
    > Smith called it a misunderstanding.
    >
    > 'He testified he believed the woman was going to try to harm herself by throwing herself into
    > traffic,' said prosecutor Brian Iten, who said the acquittal surprised him. 'He said she
    > misinterpreted his actions because of his tattoos.'
    >
    > Normal? Hardly. Should have been off the street long ago? Most likely.
    >
    > 'Tis a shame the way the world seems to be headed.

    > Jason

    "Seems" being the operative word...
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 1-31-04 A good friend will come and bail you out of jail; a
    true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn,that was fun!"

  16. Ip

    Ip Guest

    Cookie,

    I'm startled that even you lost focus on this one. Wheat, chaff? Buy a clue.

    Is that what your GD was for? Did ya forget ya can't walk too far on the ship?

    "PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040206110[email protected]
    m04.aol.com...
    > >"Jason Tinling" boasted:
    > >
    > >'Tis a shame the way the world seems to be headed.
    >
    > Yeah, more and more smarmy douche bags like you... a sneaky snake who
    would
    > remove the "OT" from the Subject line. You NEWBIE piece of shit! ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN
    > (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be devoid
    > of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  17. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:

    > noname wrote:
    > >
    > > People in the U.S. seem unable to separate the family from the individual who committed the
    > > vile act.
    > >

    > It's not just a "people in the U.S." thing.

    Exactly. People in some middle eastern countries kill their daughters or sisters for 'bringing shame
    to the family.' What's this people in the US silliness?

    nancy

  18. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Dan Abel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "John Gaquin" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%_OUb.32374
    > > >
    > > > I believe this person (man) should be granted a fair and speedy
    trial -
    > > like
    > > > this week and any sentence performed within one week of a conviction
    (in
    > > > Public).
    > >
    > > This is the type of case where you could make a legitimate argument for
    such
    > > a policy. They have him on video abducting, they have hard evidential
    link
    > > between the girl and his car, they have the body, and if they now
    establish
    > > a DNA link, then I could support an accelerated process. Punishment
    would,
    > > IMO, serve more effectively as deterrent if administered while the
    event is
    > > still in the news.
    >

    > This is a lynch mob mentality.

    Bull shit!

    I just want to make sure the defendents constitutational rights are observed.

    "right to speedy and public trial by jury"

    Noun1.right to speedy and public trial by jury - a civil right guaranteed by the 6th amendment to
    the United States constitution

    Amendment VI In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public
    trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed,
    which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and
    cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process
    for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

    Dimitri

  19. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "FERRANTE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am really bummed out. I could not believe it when my dad told me this a.m. that they found the
    > little girl's body who had been abducted. I had hoped so much that they would find her alive. I
    > don't know how they will do it, but I pray that her family and friends make it through this.
    >
    > I also feel sorry for the family of the man who did this. I have not watched the news yet, but I
    > was told he had kids, wife, and according to neighbors seemed like a normal guy. Just imagine what
    > his kids and wife will have to endure. I also hope that people don't fault them for what the
    > father did (imagine kids in school). That bastard only thought of himself, and thank God that
    > camera was where it was.
    >
    > Mark Anthony Ferrante

    A normal guy who was arrested on kidnapping and false imprisonment charges before. You have to
    wonder if Carlie would be alive today if the jury hadn't fell for his line about snatching her (the
    first one) to "get her out of the street". He's also been arrested numerous times on other charges.
    Apparently the neighbors aren't very observant if they really said that...though I've not seen any
    reports like that. I hope he rots in hell.

    kimberly

  20. Noname

    Noname Guest

    > noname wrote:
    > >
    > > People in the U.S. seem unable to separate the family from the individual who committed the
    > > vile act.
    > >

    > It's not just a "people in the U.S." thing. The Europeans have been attacking Jews for over 1000
    > years for being "Christ killers." While the term is *partially* true (without going into the
    > theological responsibility we all have, calling the Jews "Christ killers" ignores the Romans' part
    > in the deed), I doubt any Jews alive today were present 2000+ years ago.

    Indeed - I'm well aware of the role of the Romans of that time in crucifying Christ. He represented
    a threat to the way of life of both Roman and Jewish elite and priestly classes.

    Class warfare is still alive and well, right here in the good old United States. And it is going to
    get worse.