OT: Girl's tragic end...

"ravinwulf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 02:15:36 GMT, "Darryl L. Pierce,,," <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >So, what's your answer? Throw innocent people into jail to ensure nobody who's guilty goes free?
>
> I'm thinking a variation on the Napoleonic code. If someone gets arrested and damning evidence is
> provided by the police, the suspect gets to prove they were somewhere else or that someone else
> did it, or do jail time. I believe that, most of the time, the police arrest the right people and
> that more innocents would be protected that way.
Since I was a child it's been a point of pride that our country DIDN'T have the Napoleonic code that
forced people to prove their innocence.

In the last years so many people have had their conviction for various crimes overturned when DNA
evidence or testimony revealed their innocence that I hate to think what the situation would be like
if you had to prove your innocence rather than be proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. In too
many of the cases the person was convicted precisely because police fixated on one suspect and never
investigated elsewhere -- they even ignored evidence that didn't support their opinion that such a
person was guilty.

Gabby

ravinwulf wrote:

>>> Exactly. And when many guilty people go free in order to be absolutely sure that no innocent
>>> person goes to prison, you can be certain that innocent people are =not= being protected.
>>
>>So, what's your answer? Throw innocent people into jail to ensure nobody who's guilty goes free?
>>
>>> I believe there are far more innocent people victimized by those who take advantage of our
>>> system and are wrongly released, than there are innocent people sitting in jail cells.
>>
>>Then, what's your answer?
>
> I'm thinking a variation on the Napoleonic code. If someone gets arrested and damning evidence is
> provided by the police, the suspect gets to prove they were somewhere else or that someone else
> did it, or do jail time. I believe that, most of the time, the police arrest the right people and
> that more innocents would be protected that way.

So, if I accuse you of doing something, you now have to prove you *didn't* do it? Guilty until
proven innocent? All the police have to do is accuse you and you now have the burden of showing them
to be wrong, rather than them having to show they're right?

--
Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]> Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

ravinwulf wrote:

>>Tell me, do you think killing someone that you're not sure is guilty would make things better? Do
>>you think killing someone who might or might be guilty is justice?
>
> Of course not. What seems to be escaping you is the fact that I am certain Smith is guilty. You
> have your doubts. Fine. I don't.

So?

--

ravinwulf wrote:

>>What's been made available to us on the news is nowhere near enough to prove that he's guilty of
>>the crime of murder.
>
> Unless you are suggesting the tape of him taking the child was phoney, there's plenty of evidence.
> Even in the unlikely event he didn't actually kill the kid, he is the reason she is dead.

Whatever you want to believe you're going to believe, despite any rational reasoning presented to
you. You have only a handful of evidence, no information on anything *else* discovered during the
investigation, and you've assumed your conclusion. All I can say is, I'm glad you're not on the
jury, because you would be an unfair juror.

--

ravinwulf wrote:

> I'm thinking a variation on the Napoleonic code. If someone gets arrested and damning evidence is
> provided by the police, the suspect gets to prove they were somewhere else or that someone else
> did it, or do jail time. I believe that, most of the time, the police arrest the right people and
> that more innocents would be protected that way.

NO THANKS!

We have enough of a police state as it stands.

Brian Rodenborn

ravinwulf wrote:

>>> Anyone with a lick of common sense knows he did it.
>>
>>Based on what objective evidence do you make this claim? "I just know" is *not* evidence.
>
> The standard in this country is beyond a reasonable doubt, keyword here being reasonable. The
> standard is not "beyond any possible doubt, zero chance that someone else could have done it." It
> is not, IMO, reasonable to believe that this guy kidnapped her, released her unharmed, and that
> she had the incredible bad luck to run into a homicidal maniac later in the same day.

In your *opinion*. Opinion based not on fact is not *rational* opinion. Yes, the standard is
"reasonable doubt" but reasonable requires *rational* opinion, opinion based on *fact* not
intuition.

> It is possible that Mr. Smith could have had an accomplice; but no evidence has come to light that
> suggests that was the case.

You're right. I'm not saying he *did* have an accomplice. I'm saying that a rush to judgement will
preclude us from finding out *definitively* if he acted alone or worked with someone else. My
position has never been to defend him, but has solely been to defend the system where he gets a fair
an impartial trial *before* he's convicted, sentenced and punished. Anything less is irrational and
lynch mob mentality.

> Furthermore, if there had been a co-conspirator, don't you think he would have named that
> individual in an attempt to save his own worthless ass?

Not necessarily. He's still claiming *he* is innocent, as far as official reports are concerned.
He's not admitted to the authorities that *he* has information, let alone that he was involved or
that he had an accomplice.

> It's not like guys who assault kids are known for being all that brave or self-sacrificing, and
> he's looking at the death penalty.

That's irrational. Look at OJ. All of the evidence points to him, yet he still claims he's innocent.
To claim that someone who did a crime would necessarily have to admit to it once confronted with
overwhelming evidence is not in line with reality, where criminals *after* conviction by
overwhelming evidence still plead their own innocence.

> He's a repeat offender

Not of this type of crime. He was acquitted previously.

> who knows how the system works, who knows it's possible to make a deal with the DA for a better
> outcome, if you have something to trade. It's "reasonable" (that problematic word again) to assume
> that he'd try to make a deal,

Not really. If there's no evidence to directly link him to the crime, could very well be hedging
his bets that he can claim innocence and get away with it if he did it. To assume he'd point
fingers to save himself is to assume he's already given up on trying to get away with the crime in
the first place.

> if indeed he had a partner, particularly if he really wasn't the one who did the killing. But he
> hasn't done that. Ergo, it's "reasonable" to believe no partner exists.

It's reasonable, but it's not definitive. He's not admitted guilt, and he would have to admit *some*
guilt in order to name a coconspirator. I'm more inclined to believe that, if he did it, he's still
playing the odds game that he can't be convicted.

> I have been following this case pretty closely since before Smith was arrested. Numerous people,
> including several of his own family members, have identified the person on the video as Smith;
> NASA has enhanced the photos to make identification clearer. The car seen in the video was loaned
> to him by a friend who has come forward and is identifiable by dings and scrapes on the vehicle as
> being the same car he borrowed.

All damning, no doubt. Let it go to trial and convict him properly. I'm all for that. If he did it,
he's going to go down for it by trial.

> He has a history of attempted kidnapping/assault similar to this one.

That's not an indicator in *this* case of anything more than he's potentially capable of the act. He
never commited a murder before (to our knowledge) so it's not rational to conclude he did it this
time based on that previous indictment.

> His admissions led to the discovery of the body.

That admission is, currently, questionable since it came by way of hearsay and not a confession. The
point is that the inmate who came forward may have gotten the information from someone else. We
don't know...yet.

> The evening of the kidnapping, state troopers saw him coming from the bushes where the body was
> later found and stopped to talk to him. (They quite rightly did not arrest him because the child
> was still listed as a runaway and he wasn't under suspicion at that time; he told them he had just
> pulled over to take a leak.) Based on all that, I can honestly say that there is no "reasonable"
> doubt in my mind that he is the guilty party.

That leaves little room for reasonable doubt, yes. There's plenty of circumstantial evidence to
point fingers to him as the likely perpetrator. I never said there wasn't. I've been saying that he
deserves a trial that proves his guilt before he's punished for the crime. All those who want to
skip the trial because "it's obvious he did it" need to step back and get some perspective is all
I'm saying.

> If you disagree, well, that's up to you; but that kind of thinking is part of the reason this bozo
> was free on the streets and a kid is dead.

It's also this kind of thinking that has helped to ensure that somebody who didn't do a crime
didn't end up dead because everybody thought he was guilty and deserved to be punished. I would
rather err on the side of letting a guilty man go free than on the side of killing an innocent man
"just in case".

--

"Darryl L. Pierce,,," wrote:

> Don't get me wrong. I'm not defending the guy. I'm defending the system of making sure someone's
> guilty before punishing them, and I'm against the irrational drumhead trial mentality that wants
> to "string 'em up" for no other reason than they "probably" did it...

Right. No one here is (as far as I can tell) saying that what happened to the girl wasn't tragic.
There are some good reasons to go slowly and deliberately in case of a heinous crime:

1. Make sure we don't let inflamed public opinion taint the Constitutional guarantees of due process
and fair trial.

2. Make sure we don't send an innocent person to prison or death row in a rush to judgment.

3. Make sure we don't allow a guilty party to be overlooked.

There is some pretty strong evidence and the guy probably did it, but let the system do its thing.
These things need to be done coldly and dispassionately. There's no benefit to anyone except those
with mob mentality in throwing away the normal process.

Remember, "innocent until PROVEN guilty in a COURT OF LAW." A court of law is not you watching bad
video on TV or reading usenet. It's a process of examining the evidence and presenting it to a jury.

Brian Rodenborn

"ravinwulf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

*based*
shows.

> >> Give me a break.
> >
> >Why? Does rationality get in the way of the lynching?
> >
> >> You sound like a lawyer for the defense trying to weasel a guilty man out of a conviction.
> >
> >No, I sound like a rational human being trying to come to a *rational* conclusion and not like an
> >irrational person looking to string up the
first
> >person that looks guilty enough to get a mob fired up.
> >
> >> What are the odds that this kid met up with not one, but two nutcases in one day?
> >
> >If it's greater than 0 (which it is) then you have to start looking. How
do
> >you know, for example, that Smith wasn't part of a conspiracy to do this? Kill him now and you
> >won't find the co-conspirators.
> >
> >> Anyone with a lick of common sense knows he did it.
> >
> >Based on what objective evidence do you make this claim? "I just know" is *not* evidence.
>
> The standard in this country is beyond a reasonable doubt, keyword here being reasonable. The
> standard is not "beyond any possible doubt, zero chance that someone else could have done it." It
> is not, IMO, reasonable to believe that this guy kidnapped her, released her unharmed, and that
> she had the incredible bad luck to run into a homicidal maniac later in the same day. It is
> possible that Mr. Smith could have had an accomplice; but no evidence has come to light that
> suggests that was the case. Furthermore, if there had been a co-conspirator, don't you think he
> would have named that individual in an attempt to save his own worthless ass? It's not like guys
> who assault kids are known for being all that brave or self-sacrificing, and he's looking at the
> death penalty. He's a repeat offender who knows how the system works, who knows it's possible to
> make a deal with the DA for a better outcome, if you have something to trade. It's "reasonable"
> (that problematic word again) to assume that he'd try to make a deal, if indeed he had a partner,
> particularly if he really wasn't the one who did the killing. But he hasn't done that. Ergo, it's
> "reasonable" to believe no partner exists.
>
> I have been following this case pretty closely since before Smith was arrested. Numerous people,
> including several of his own family members, have identified the person on the video as Smith;
> NASA has enhanced the photos to make identification clearer. The car seen in the video was loaned
> to him by a friend who has come forward and is identifiable by dings and scrapes on the vehicle as
> being the same car he borrowed. He has a history of attempted kidnapping/assault similar to this
> one. His admissions led to the discovery of the body. The evening of the kidnapping, state
> troopers saw him coming from the bushes where the body was later found and stopped to talk to him.
> (They quite rightly did not arrest him because the child was still listed as a runaway and he
> wasn't under suspicion at that time; he told them he had just pulled over to take a leak.) Based
> on all that, I can honestly say that there is no "reasonable" doubt in my mind that he is the
> guilty party. If you disagree, well, that's up to you; but that kind of thinking is part of the
> reason this bozo was free on the streets and a kid is dead.
>
> Tracy R.

Thank you! I am so glad to see such a reasonable <g> person responding!

kimberly

ravinwulf wrote:

>>It's also this kind of thinking that has helped to ensure that somebody who didn't do a crime
>>didn't end up dead because everybody thought he was guilty and deserved to be punished. I would
>>rather err on the side of letting a guilty man go free than on the side of killing an innocent man
>>"just in case".
>
> A noble sentiment to be sure; but would you still feel that way if the guilty guy who got off
> "just in case" killed your child or your wife the following week?

It shouldn't matter *who* was killed: the system should still be designed to protect the innocents.
Your relationship to the victim shouldn't make a difference in that respect.

Tell me, do you think killing someone that you're not sure is guilty would make things better? Do
you think killing someone who might or might be guilty is justice? That's a rather barbaric point
of view...

--
Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]> Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

On 02/11/2004 6:15 PM, in article
[email protected], "Darryl L. Pierce,,,"
<[email protected]> opined:

> ravinwulf wrote:
>
>>> Tell me, do you think killing someone that you're not sure is guilty would make things better?
>>> Do you think killing someone who might or might be guilty is justice?
>>
>> Of course not. What seems to be escaping you is the fact that I am certain Smith is guilty. You
>> have your doubts. Fine. I don't.
>
> No, that you think he's guilty hasn't escaped me. The only thing escaping anyone, apparently, is
> that your certainty is based on the little bits that the media has fed to all of us; i.e., your
> threshold for certainty is significantly lower than mine. What's been made available to us on the
> news is nowhere near enough to prove that he's guilty of the crime of murder.

So ********** release him so he can do it again..........................
In the world of advertising there¹s no such thing as a lie, there¹s only the expedient exaggeration.

Default User wrote:

>> I'm thinking a variation on the Napoleonic code. If someone gets arrested and damning evidence is
>> provided by the police, the suspect gets to prove they were somewhere else or that someone else
>> did it, or do jail time. I believe that, most of the time, the police arrest the right people and
>> that more innocents would be protected that way.
>
> NO THANKS!
>
> We have enough of a police state as it stands.

I'm in full agreement with you. In addition, I think it would be better if we revisited all of those
things that are illegal but not immoral (i.e., all of the victimless crimes) and strike them from
the books as well.

--

Nexis wrote:

>> > No it is based on the testimony of the person he attempted to kidnap stating that he told her
>> > he would "cut" her.
>>
>> And is that a case of he-said-she-said? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the details of that previous
>> case. But, as with the case of the arsonist, that is indicative (assuming it's truthful) that he
>> *has* done such in the past but is not evidence that *did* do something this time. As with the
>> case of the arsonist I described earlier, a house burning down in his neighborhood is not
>> automatically proof that *he* did it.
>
> True enough, but when you add a video of the arsonist near the house with a can of gasoline in his
> hand, and a confession of where he hid the evidence, then it's pretty easy to believe he did it
> isn't it.

To *believe* he did it, but that's not evidence he *did* do it. But, yes, if you had evidence that
linked him to that specific fire, then you have proof he was involved and can build a case that
proves he's responsible. But, him simply being nearby and having done something similar in the past
would only be cause for suspicion, not conviction.

The same is the case with Smith. That he allegedly (since he wasn't convincted) attempted to kidnap
a girl previously does not mean he definitely murdered a girl this time. That a man who matches his
description is shown on video taking the girl away by the arm indicates that he was *probably*
involved in kidnapping her (it's not definitive that that's him in the video, but it definitely
seems to be him). But, that video evidence is not anything to do with her murder, and can be used to
build a case *for* convicting him, but is not sufficient evidence to skip the trial and punish him
for her death.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]> Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

"Darryl L. Pierce,,," <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >>Based on what objective evidence do you make this claim? "I just know"
is
> >>*not* evidence.
> >
> > The standard in this country is beyond a reasonable doubt, keyword here being reasonable. The
> > standard is not "beyond any possible doubt, zero chance that someone else could have done it."
> > It is not, IMO, reasonable to believe that this guy kidnapped her, released her unharmed, and
> > that she had the incredible bad luck to run into a homicidal maniac later in the same day.
>
> In your *opinion*. Opinion based not on fact is not *rational* opinion.
Yes,
> the standard is "reasonable doubt" but reasonable requires *rational* opinion, opinion based on
> *fact* not intuition.

No, what is irrational is to try to contrive improbable situations and then say that is cause for
reasonable doubt, when in fact it is just what I called it: improbable.

> > It is possible that Mr. Smith could have had an accomplice; but no evidence has come to light
> > that suggests that was the case.
>
> You're right. I'm not saying he *did* have an accomplice. I'm saying that
> rush to judgement will preclude us from finding out *definitively* if he acted alone or worked
> with someone else. My position has never been to defend him, but has solely been to defend the
> system where he gets a fair an impartial trial *before* he's convicted, sentenced and punished.
> Anything less is irrational and lynch mob mentality.

Being able to make a conclusion beyond a REASONABLE doubt is not irrational or a lynch mob
mentality.

> > Furthermore, if there had been a co-conspirator, don't you think he would have named that
> > individual in an attempt to save his own worthless ass?
>
> Not necessarily. He's still claiming *he* is innocent, as far as official reports are concerned.
> He's not admitted to the authorities that *he* has information, let alone that he was involved or
> that he had an accomplice.

Perhaps.

> > It's not like guys who assault kids are known for being all that brave or self-sacrificing, and
> > he's looking at the death penalty.
>
> That's irrational. Look at OJ. All of the evidence points to him, yet he still claims he's
> innocent. To claim that someone who did a crime would necessarily have to admit to it once
> confronted with overwhelming evidence is not in line with reality, where criminals *after*
> conviction by overwhelming evidence still plead their own innocence.

Interesting viewpoint, but not really a response to the statement above it. You can blame someone
else without implicating yourself. Ask half the people in jail.

> > He's a repeat offender
>
> Not of this type of crime. He was acquitted previously.

He is a repeat offender...he was arrested and charged. It is on his record. The outcome of the trial
doesn't negate the fact that the trial happened.

> > who knows how the system works, who knows it's possible to make a deal with the DA for a better
> > outcome, if you have something to trade. It's "reasonable" (that problematic word again) to
> > assume that he'd try to make a deal,
>
> Not really. If there's no evidence to directly link him to the crime,
could
> very well be hedging his bets that he can claim innocence and get away
with
> it if he did it. To assume he'd point fingers to save himself is to assume he's already given up
> on trying to get away with the crime in the first place.

Again, it is quite easy to implicate someone else and claim your own innocence. Trying to make a
deal is part of the game that you so admirably refer to as our legal system. It's all a game to the
vast majority of the people playing. I'll trade you a lighter sentence here for dropping that felony
to a misdemeanor. I've seen in many times. With all of the overload on the system, people become
nothing but numbers and folders, and guilt or innocence is far too often an afterthought. It's all
about the deals. The deals keep the courts from being overwhelmed. And cons know all too well, as
the previous poster stated, about the fine art of making a deal.

> > if indeed he had a partner, particularly if he really wasn't the one who did the killing. But he
> > hasn't done that. Ergo, it's "reasonable" to believe no partner exists.
>
> It's reasonable, but it's not definitive. He's not admitted guilt, and he would have to admit
> *some* guilt in order to name a coconspirator. I'm
more
> inclined to believe that, if he did it, he's still playing the odds game that he can't be
> convicted.
>
> > I have been following this case pretty closely since before Smith was arrested. Numerous people,
> > including several of his own family members, have identified the person on the video as Smith;
> > NASA has enhanced the photos to make identification clearer. The car seen in the video was
> > loaned to him by a friend who has come forward and is identifiable by dings and scrapes on the
> > vehicle as being the same car he borrowed.
>
> All damning, no doubt. Let it go to trial and convict him properly. I'm
all
> for that. If he did it, he's going to go down for it by trial.

I don't remember anyone saying there shouldn't be a trial? What I recall was more about the
erm...sentencing, shall we say?

> > He has a history of attempted kidnapping/assault similar to this one.
>
> That's not an indicator in *this* case of anything more than he's potentially capable of the act.
> He never commited a murder before (to our knowledge) so it's not rational to conclude he did it
> this time based on that previous indictment.

Now we're back to Oh he may have kidnapped her, but he didn't kill her, yet he told someone where to
find her body? The improbability of that one has got to be clear, even to you.

> > His admissions led to the discovery of the body.
>
> That admission is, currently, questionable since it came by way of hearsay and not a confession.
> The point is that the inmate who came forward may have gotten the information from someone else.
> We don't know...yet.
>
> > The evening of the kidnapping, state troopers saw him coming from the bushes where the body was
> > later found and stopped to talk to him. (They quite rightly did not arrest him because the child
> > was still listed as a runaway and he wasn't under suspicion at that time; he told them he had
> > just pulled over to take a leak.) Based on all that, I can honestly say that there is no
> > "reasonable" doubt in my mind that he is the guilty party.
>
> That leaves little room for reasonable doubt, yes. There's plenty of circumstantial evidence to
> point fingers to him as the likely perpetrator. I never said there wasn't. I've been saying that
> he deserves a trial that proves his guilt before he's punished for the crime. All those who want
> to skip the trial because "it's obvious he did it" need to step back and get some perspective is
> all I'm saying.

Again, I don't recall anyone saying the trial should be skipped. Be done quickly, yes, but not
skipped. And it should be done quickly. All these delays of years and years do nothing to help our
society, the system, the victims, or anyone if you ask me. But then again, that all goes back to the
game. It's like the football player who runs out of bounds with 3 seconds left on the clock.

> > If you disagree, well, that's up to you; but that kind of thinking is part of the reason this
> > bozo was free on the streets and a kid is dead.
>
> It's also this kind of thinking that has helped to ensure that somebody
who
> didn't do a crime didn't end up dead because everybody thought he was guilty and deserved to be
> punished. I would rather err on the side of letting a guilty man go free than on the side of
> killing an innocent man "just in case".

Ahh if only that was the case. I suggest you check out the Innocence Project, which is all about
wrongfully convicted people. People who had your lengthy and fair trial. It doesn't guarantee
anything...and that's the sad fact of it. And I would never prefer to let a child killer go free.
Ever. If he is innocent the sysytem you exhalt should be able to find that out...but the fact is the
system isn't what you think. It is very imperfect.

The Wolf wrote:

>> No, that you think he's guilty hasn't escaped me. The only thing escaping anyone, apparently, is
>> that your certainty is based on the little bits that the media has fed to all of us; i.e., your
>> threshold for certainty is significantly lower than mine. What's been made available to us on the
>> news is nowhere near enough to prove that he's guilty of the crime of murder.
>
> So **********

Still have your fixation with penises, eh?

> release him so he can do it again..........................

If you had the capacity to read what I've said, you would notice that I'm *not* arguing in Smith's
defense. I've said that I think he's probably the guy who killed the girl. I'm arguing in defense of
the system that gives people a trial *before* they are punished and which assumes they are
*innocent* and puts the burden of proof on those who make the accusations. That may escape you since
it means having to think *before* acting, something you're probably incapable of doing since
thinking brings up for

If you go back and read ravinwulf's post, you'll see that s/he wants to have some system where
you're assumed to be guilty when accused of a crime and have to prove your own innocence. I'm sure
having that great double-digit IQ you're going to ponder that for months before coming close to
losing your grip on the conclusion that such a system is *tyrranical* (to translate for you, it
would be "bad").

So, why don't you go back to the mall, sit on a bench, and dream about being able to join up with
your fellow man in those secret ways that you like to talk about online. Your secret's safe with us,
big boy...

--

"Darryl L. Pierce,,," wrote:

> Default User wrote:

> > We have enough of a police state as it stands.
>
> I'm in full agreement with you. In addition, I think it would be better if we revisited all of
> those things that are illegal but not immoral (i.e., all of the victimless crimes) and strike them
> from the books as well.

I have to agree with you there.

nancy

Nexis wrote:

>> In your *opinion*. Opinion based not on fact is not *rational* opinion.
> Yes,
>> the standard is "reasonable doubt" but reasonable requires *rational* opinion, opinion based on
>> *fact* not intuition.
>
> No, what is irrational is to try to contrive improbable situations and then say that is cause for
> reasonable doubt, when in fact it is just what I called it: improbable.

What it all boils down to is this: neither you nor I know the facts of the case except for the most
sensational bits the news media has broadcast repeatedly. He might be (probably is) guilty. Or, he
might not be guilty of murder. We *don't* know. I have said, from the beginning in this thread, that
he needs to be tried in a court of law and his guilt definitely proven before he's sentenced. It was
parents should "shove a shotgun up his ass". My statements were purely in response to very barbaric,
irrational sentiments.

>> > It is possible that Mr. Smith could have had an accomplice; but no evidence has come to light
>> > that suggests that was the case.
>>
>> You're right. I'm not saying he *did* have an accomplice. I'm saying that
>> rush to judgement will preclude us from finding out *definitively* if he acted alone or worked
>> with someone else. My position has never been to defend him, but has solely been to defend the
>> system where he gets a fair an impartial trial *before* he's convicted, sentenced and punished.
>> Anything less is irrational and lynch mob mentality.
>
> Being able to make a conclusion beyond a REASONABLE doubt is not irrational or a lynch mob
> mentality.

And "beyond a reasonable doubt" also assumes that you have *all* of the facts to consider before
making your judgement. Jumping the gun and killing him because he *seems to be* the guy is neither
reasonable nor rational.

<sni>

>> > It's not like guys who assault kids are known for being all that brave or self-sacrificing, and
>> > he's looking at the death penalty.
>>
>> That's irrational. Look at OJ. All of the evidence points to him, yet he still claims he's
>> innocent. To claim that someone who did a crime would necessarily have to admit to it once
>> confronted with overwhelming evidence is not in line with reality, where criminals *after*
>> conviction by overwhelming evidence still plead their own innocence.
>
> Interesting viewpoint, but not really a response to the statement above it. You can blame someone
> else without implicating yourself. Ask half the people in jail.

In order to blame someone else you have to have some knowledge *about* the crime in order to know
who's involved. How can he point a finger to someone else without implicating himself as, at the
minimum, an accessory after the fact?

>> > He's a repeat offender
>>
>> Not of this type of crime. He was acquitted previously.
>
> He is a repeat offender...he was arrested and charged.

And not convicted. Being arrested for something and being charged but acquitted is not the same as
being a repeat offender. Again, you're showing an irrational prejudice in assuming that you know
more about his guilt in that previous case than the jury who were *there*, who *had* the details and
came to a different conclusion. How can you assume that you know better his guilt than the people
who were involved in the case? Your statement is irrational; i.e., it has no rational foundation.

> It is on his record. The outcome of the trial doesn't negate the fact that the trial happened.

So? Plenty of people can be tried who aren't guilty (and I'm *not* saying he's not guilty of the
previous crime; I'm saying that he was not convicted and, as such, is *not* a "repeat offender"; to
be a repeat offender you have to have a prior *conviction*, not just a prior indictment). That he
was accused of a crime does not make him automatically guilty; that kind of thinking is pure,
unadulterated lynchmob mentality.

>> > who knows how the system works, who knows it's possible to make a deal with the DA for a better
>> > outcome, if you have something to trade. It's "reasonable" (that problematic word again) to
>> > assume that he'd try to make a deal,
>>
>> Not really. If there's no evidence to directly link him to the crime,
> could
>> very well be hedging his bets that he can claim innocence and get away
> with
>> it if he did it. To assume he'd point fingers to save himself is to assume he's already given up
>> on trying to get away with the crime in the first place.
>
> Again, it is quite easy to implicate someone else and claim your own innocence.

I didn't say it was hard. But, to do so you have to now involve *yourself* in the crime itself in
some way. Not the best thing to do when you're being accused of the crime.

> Trying to make a deal is part of the game that you so admirably refer to as our legal system. It's
> all a game to the vast majority of the people playing. I'll trade you a lighter sentence here for
> dropping that felony to a misdemeanor. I've seen in many times. With all of the overload on the
> system, people become nothing but numbers and folders, and guilt or innocence is far too often an
> afterthought. It's all about the deals. The deals keep the courts from being overwhelmed. And cons
> know all too well, as the previous poster stated, about the fine art of making a deal.

Yeah, that's all well and good. That doesn't mean that *every* person accused of a crime will
automatically start trying to negotiate lighter sentences. Look at the similar case of that guy in
California who kidnapped and killed Danielle Van Damm(sp?). The evidence was overwhelming against
him, yet he continued to plead his innocence, even today. Your claim that "everybody knows how to do
it" doesn't mean that everybody *does* do it, nor does it mean that someone who *doesn't* do it is
automatically guilty of a crime. Again, that's not a line of argumentation based on anything
rational. It's illogical.

>> > I have been following this case pretty closely since before Smith was arrested. Numerous
>> > people, including several of his own family members, have identified the person on the video as
>> > Smith; NASA has enhanced the photos to make identification clearer. The car seen in the video
>> > was loaned to him by a friend who has come forward and is identifiable by dings and scrapes on
>> > the vehicle as being the same car he borrowed.
>>
>> All damning, no doubt. Let it go to trial and convict him properly. I'm
> all
>> for that. If he did it, he's going to go down for it by trial.
>
> I don't remember anyone saying there shouldn't be a trial?

Those were the people I originally replied to, the ones who wanted him passed around from inmate to
inmate to be tortured, and then have a shotgun shoved up his ass by the parents of the victim.

> What I recall was more about the erm...sentencing, shall we say?

Their whole point was to bypass the trial because he "obviously did it". The point I've taken to
task is this "obviously" claim. Of all the claims I've heard, none of them are based on any *actual*
evidence but are all assumptions made based on that one video and a past accusation. Accusations are
not convictions, and accusing someone doesn't mean they're guilty.

>> > He has a history of attempted kidnapping/assault similar to this one.
>>
>> That's not an indicator in *this* case of anything more than he's potentially capable of the act.
>> He never commited a murder before (to our knowledge) so it's not rational to conclude he did it
>> this time based on that previous indictment.
>
> Now we're back to Oh he may have kidnapped her, but he didn't kill her, yet he told someone where
> to find her body?

No, actually we're solely at a point where the claim is "of course he did it, he's done it before"
which is absolutely a logical fallacy and an irrational argument.

> The improbability of that one has got to be clear, even to you.

The improbability of *what*?

>> > The evening of the kidnapping, state troopers saw him coming from the bushes where the body was
>> > later found and stopped to talk to him. (They quite rightly did not arrest him because the
>> > child was still listed as a runaway and he wasn't under suspicion at that time; he told them he
>> > had just pulled over to take a leak.) Based on all that, I can honestly say that there is no
>> > "reasonable" doubt in my mind that he is the guilty party.
>>
>> That leaves little room for reasonable doubt, yes. There's plenty of circumstantial evidence to
>> point fingers to him as the likely perpetrator. I never said there wasn't. I've been saying that
>> he deserves a trial that proves his guilt before he's punished for the crime. All those who want
>> to skip the trial because "it's obvious he did it" need to step back and get some perspective is
>> all I'm saying.
>
> Again, I don't recall anyone saying the trial should be skipped. Be done quickly, yes, but not
> skipped. And it should be done quickly.

But not too quickly, otherwise evidence will be overlooked in haste.

> All these delays of years and years do nothing to help our society, the system, the victims, or
> anyone if you ask me. But then again, that all goes back to the game. It's like the football
> player who runs out of bounds with 3 seconds left on the clock.
>>
>> > If you disagree, well, that's up to you; but that kind of thinking is part of the reason this
>> > bozo was free on the streets and a kid is dead.
>>
>> It's also this kind of thinking that has helped to ensure that somebody
> who
>> didn't do a crime didn't end up dead because everybody thought he was guilty and deserved to be
>> punished. I would rather err on the side of letting a guilty man go free than on the side of
>> killing an innocent man "just in case".
>
> Ahh if only that was the case. I suggest you check out the Innocence Project, which is all about
> wrongfully convicted people. People who had your lengthy and fair trial. It doesn't guarantee
> anything...

It's a guarantee only that someone isn't quickly railroaded through a trial and then executed for a
crime they didn't commit. That's the guarantee that can be safely kept.

> and that's the sad fact of it. And I would never prefer to let a child killer go free. Ever.

The problem is, if you don't know *for sure* based on *evidence* then you can't rightly imprison or
execute someone merely based on "I just know". You might be *wrong* and then what?

> If he is innocent the sysytem you exhalt

Careful. You're making a *huge* assumption with your repeated insinuations of the above.

> should be able to find that out...but the fact is the system isn't what you think.

And what is it that you believe I think about the system? Perhaps you're making yet another
irrational conclusion?

> It is very imperfect.

"The system" is nothing but people, and people are absolutely fallible. I never said otherwise. But,
that doesn't mean that we shouldn't make our best effort to be as sure as possible.

--

Nancy Young wrote:

>> > We have enough of a police state as it stands.
>>
>> I'm in full agreement with you. In addition, I think it would be better if we revisited all of
>> those things that are illegal but not immoral
>> (i.e., all of the victimless crimes) and strike them from the books as well.
>
> I have to agree with you there.

A friend recommended a series of audios by Robert LeFevre that I've been listening to while working
out. The one that's gotten my attention lately is called "The Right Amount of Government" where he
describes how the government cannot protect but can only prohibit and then punish crime. It's very
interesting and I would recommend it to anybody. You can find them online at http://www.mises.org
under LeFevre.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]> Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

"Darryl L. Pierce,,," <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <SNIP>
> > Interesting viewpoint, but not really a response to the statement above it. You can blame
> > someone else without implicating yourself. Ask half
the
> > people in jail.
>
> In order to blame someone else you have to have some knowledge *about* the crime in order to know
> who's involved. How can he point a finger to
someone
> else without implicating himself as, at the minimum, an accessory after
the
> fact?

The person to whom he confessed implicated him, without implicating himself. That's how.

<SNIP>

> > Trying to make a deal is part of the game that you so admirably refer to as our legal system.
> > It's all a game to the vast majority of
the
> > people playing. I'll trade you a lighter sentence here for dropping that felony to a
> > misdemeanor. I've seen in many times. With all of the
overload
> > on the system, people become nothing but numbers and folders, and guilt
or
> > innocence is far too often an afterthought. It's all about the deals.
The
> > deals keep the courts from being overwhelmed. And cons know all too
well,
> > as the previous poster stated, about the fine art of making a deal.
>
> Yeah, that's all well and good. That doesn't mean that *every* person accused of a crime will
> automatically start trying to negotiate lighter sentences. Look at the similar case of that guy in
> California who
kidnapped
> and killed Danielle Van Damm(sp?). The evidence was overwhelming against him, yet he continued to
> plead his innocence, even today. Your claim that "everybody knows how to do it" doesn't mean that
> everybody *does* do it, nor does it mean that someone who *doesn't* do it is automatically guilty
> of a crime. Again, that's not a line of argumentation based on anything rational. It's illogical.

First, I didn't say "everybody knows how to do it". I said cons do, and they do. Anyone who's been
through the courts knows how it works unless they are daft. It's really just that simple. And
second, I said they know how, I didn't say they DO it. You're arguing illogic that you yourself are
making up. The person who killed Danielle Van Dam did offer to lead the prosecution to her body in
exchange for a "deal", so that wasn't the best example for you to go with.

kimberly

Nexis wrote:

>> In order to blame someone else you have to have some knowledge *about* the crime in order to know
>> who's involved. How can he point a finger to
> someone
>> else without implicating himself as, at the minimum, an accessory after
> the
>> fact?
>
> The person to whom he confessed implicated him, without implicating himself. That's how.

Did you read your post before sending it? Go give it another once over to see why your above
sentence is irrelevant to what I said about implicating one's self.

>> Yeah, that's all well and good. That doesn't mean that *every* person accused of a crime will
>> automatically start trying to negotiate lighter sentences. Look at the similar case of that guy
>> in California who
> kidnapped
>> and killed Danielle Van Damm(sp?). The evidence was overwhelming against him, yet he continued to
>> plead his innocence, even today. Your claim that "everybody knows how to do it" doesn't mean that
>> everybody *does* do it, nor does it mean that someone who *doesn't* do it is automatically guilty
>> of a crime. Again, that's not a line of argumentation based on anything rational. It's illogical.
>
> First, I didn't say "everybody knows how to do it". I said cons do, and they do.

So, are you a con? *You* know how to do it.

> Anyone who's been through the courts knows how it works unless they are daft. It's really just
> that simple.

If there's anything I've learned in my years, it's that as soon as someone says "it's that simple",
you *know* that it's *not* or that they don't know what they're talking about of the implications of
their position.

You invoked this "cons make deals" business as a way of claiming he worked alone. Granted, I see no
reasons to assume he had a conspirator at this point, I was taking the stance of "do we know?" to
which you replied with yet *another* jump to a conclusion: "if there was someone else, he would have
pointed a finger by now" a conclusion *not* supported by any rational argument.

> And second, I said they know how, I didn't say they DO it.

You said that Smith would have done it by now if there were a co-conspirator, an assertion not
supported by any line of reasoning presented. Why would he have had to have done it by now?

> You're arguing illogic that you yourself are making up.

What illogic is that, exactly?

> The person who killed Danielle Van Dam did offer to lead the prosecution to her body in exchange
> for a "deal", so that wasn't the best example for you to go with.

Really? Funny, he was claiming through the *trial* he was innocent. Can you provide a citation for
your assertion?

--
Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]> Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:56:56 GMT, "Darryl L. Pierce,,,"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>ravinwulf wrote:
>
>>>What's been made available to us on the news is nowhere near enough to prove that he's guilty of
>>>the crime of murder.
>>
>> Unless you are suggesting the tape of him taking the child was phoney, there's plenty of
>> evidence. Even in the unlikely event he didn't actually kill the kid, he is the reason she
>> is dead.
>
>Whatever you want to believe you're going to believe, despite any rational reasoning presented to
>you. You have only a handful of evidence, no information on anything *else* discovered during the
>investigation, and you've assumed your conclusion. All I can say is, I'm glad you're not on the
>jury, because you would be an unfair juror.

As would you, because despite the evidence, you think this guy is innocent.

Tracy R.