OT: Grocery Greetings

Dave Smith <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:

>It's nice to be genuinely welcomed into a store, but to have someone
>standing at the door with a smiley face pasted on and a superficial display
>of welcome is meaningless. Don't have some pleasant old retired person
>welcoming me into the store for minimum wage.

The welcomers at our store just sit there like lumps. I smile and say hi
each and every time we walk into the store. This one greeter just scowls
at me. Not sure that that's preferable to receiving unasked-for help.

>Have someone working on the
>floor who can help me when I need help. Treat me with respect when I come
>in through the doors, instead of having a phoney smile and want to staple
>my bags closed with a tag on so that you won't have reason to think I have
>shoved things into my bags without paying for them. I refuse to enter a
>store where they take pre-emptive steps to prevent me from shoplifting when
>I had no intention of stealing anything.

Where does that happen? :(

Carol

--
Coming at you live from beautiful Lake Woebegon!

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> aem wrote:
>
>> Went to the market today with a longer list than normal so I found
>> myself in every section of the store, spending more than twice my
>> normal time. No fewer than six employees greeted me: "Hi, how are
>> you? How're you doing? How's it going? How are you? Can I help you
>> find anything? Is there anything I can help you with?"

For some reason this reminded me of a silly story. I was in a pet store,
thinking what could I get to amuse my pets. So, I'm meandering about,
I here this very soft spoken, polite cashier say, hello. Little store, they
had a big rabbit hopping around, cute place.

So, I said, hello. Kept looking around. Again, hello. Okay, hello. She
didn't even look up. Whatever. Few minutes go by, hello. Jaysus, lady,
hello already! Okay I didn't say it like that but come on!

That's when I noticed the cockatiel on a perch, hanging out. hello.
(laughing) Was so cute. What a sweet bird.

At any rate, it would bug me to have people talking to me for no
apparent reason. Believe me, I will let you know if I need help.

> It's nice to be genuinely welcomed into a store, but to have someone
> standing at the door with a smiley face pasted on and a superficial
> display
> of welcome is meaningless. Don't have some pleasant old retired person
> welcoming me into the store for minimum wage. Have someone working on the
> floor who can help me when I need help. Treat me with respect when I come
> in through the doors, instead of having a phoney smile and want to staple
> my bags closed with a tag on so that you won't have reason to think I have
> shoved things into my bags without paying for them. I refuse to enter a
> store where they take pre-emptive steps to prevent me from shoplifting
> when
> I had no intention of stealing anything.

Boy is that annoying. I guess if there is a problem where you shop, they
have to protect themselves. I wouldn't like that, myself.

nancy

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> The welcomers at our store just sit there like lumps. I smile and say hi
> each and every time we walk into the store. This one greeter just scowls
> at me. Not sure that that's preferable to receiving unasked-for help.
>
> >Have someone working on the
> >floor who can help me when I need help. Treat me with respect when I come
> >in through the doors, instead of having a phoney smile and want to staple
> >my bags closed with a tag on so that you won't have reason to think I have
> >shoved things into my bags without paying for them. I refuse to enter a
> >store where they take pre-emptive steps to prevent me from shoplifting when
> >I had no intention of stealing anything.

> Where does that happen? :(

The only stores around here that have welcomers are the Walmart stores. If you
walk in with a bag from another store they want to staple it closed. Obviously
the intention is that if the bag is stapled closed you can't stick anything in
and sneak out without paying. I prefer not to deal with stores are assuming
that I am there to steal.

Tina Marrie wrote:

> Personally, I like the kind words. We need MORE politeness and kindness in
> this world. I was taught to be kind and polite because it is a mark of
> character.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate kind words. I prefer sincerity. That means
prompt and friendly service at the meat counter, fish counter, deli counter,
people to direct me to things I cannot find. And I prefer the service with a
smile. I don't want to be made to feel that I have inconveniences a stock clerk
because he is in the middle of a big restocking job and has to take a few
seconds of his time to point out where something is. That goes a lot further
with me than having some happy old retiree who has found something to do with
his spare time and doesn't mind working for minimum wage because he is getting a
pension anyway.

I should add that I sympathize with some people in retail. I have done it.
Sometimes you just can't win. Sometimes things go wrong and you just can't
please the reasonable customers. And then there are the unreasonable customers,
the people who love to ***** and complain and there is no way to please them
anyway. I know people like that and hate to go into stores with them. It's too
embarrassing.

> I'm sorry if you misunderstood my intentions of the post. Many people do not
> realize that retail employees must be polite to keep their jobs. If the
> customer is having a bad day it doesn't make it "right" to take it out on the
> employee.

Some of them keep their jobs for a surprisingly long time. There was one stock
clerk in a local grocery store who was quite rude. When the store was bought out
by another chain most of the other people keep their jobs but they dumped him.
My wife made the mistake of asking him where she could find the Worcestershire
sauce, but pronounced it the way most people elide through it. When he finally
found it he made a point of what he thought was the correct pronunciation,
enunciating each syllable clearly. "Oh, why didn't you say Wor ces ter shire
sauce?" He was even worse a few weeks later when she asked if they carreed
Agnostura Bitters. "Lady, I don't know what the hell you are talking about".
Apparently his ignorance of his own business and the goods generally sold in
the department in which he worked was somehow a bad reflection on her.

In article <[email protected]>, "aem"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> normal time. No fewer than six employees greeted me: "Hi, how are

> I got to the checkout line where the checker thanks me by name (off the

> To whom do I express my preference not to be spoken to unless I ask a
> question? And, if enough people stated a similar preference, could we
> get them to stop? -aem

I don't mind them asking, but six is way too many. I would write a polite
note to the manager saying that it has gotten excessive.

I would just as soon not have them say my name. When they first started
that, I complained, since the name they called me by wasn't mine, and the
name on the receipt was obviously female. The checker assumed (I guess)
that I was going to give her a fake name anyway, so she trashed my old
account and set up a new one with no name and no address, just the phone
number, since you can use your phone number if you forget your card. Now
when they look for my name on the receipt, it isn't there, so they just
thank me and I'm on my way.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

In article <[email protected]>,
"aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Went to the market today with a longer list than normal so I found
> myself in every section of the store, spending more than twice my
> normal time. No fewer than six employees greeted me: "Hi, how are
> you? How're you doing? How's it going? How are you? Can I help you
> find anything? Is there anything I can help you with?" This is before
> I got to the checkout line where the checker thanks me by name (off the
> receipt) and the bagger asks if I want help out. I am so friggin sick
> of this fake personalizing of what is in fact an impersonal business
> transaction I could barf. I have lived in a small town, so I know what
> genuine personal recognition is, and this corporate management-directed
> bonhomie is not it. So here are my questions.
>
> To whom do I express my preference not to be spoken to unless I ask a
> question? And, if enough people stated a similar preference, could we
> get them to stop? -aem

First, they might be doing it on penalty of losing their job if they
don't -- like waitstaff in restaurants who are *trained* to write their
names upside down on my paper tablecloth. Not their fault. Mail the
store manager. Address to Store Manager if you can't get a name. Or
the regional manager of the chain, if it's a chain. Or the President of
the United . . . oh, no, that would be too much. Consider the first
and second choices. Will it change if enough people state a similar
preference? Probably not unless their sales drop dramatically and they
can make a correlation between what you perceive to be false sincerity
and civility and the loss of revenue.

Make a game of it -- "Hi, how are you?" "Really crabby today and
wanting to get my stuff and get the hell out of here. Yourself?"
"Can I help you find anything?" "Sure, I need four new tires for my
car. Are you buying?" When the checker asks me if I've found
everything I came for, I just say "More or less, thanks." Or just
smile and acknowledge their interest and keep shopping. Don't make eye
contact. Or shop more frequently so they DO know you without looking
at the receipt. "-)

Or ask to see the store manager and explain that several of the staff
keep accosting you while you're trying to shop and they make you
uncomfortable and you'd like them to please cease and desist. (There
was a produce guy at my local Cub store who used to follow me from
Produce into Chips and Snacks, wanting to chat me up. He doesn't work
there anymore. I ran into him once in a different store and he said he
got fired for sexual harrassment. I didn't turn him in, but clearly
there were complaints about his behavior. He didn't "get" that his
behavior was inappropriate.)

I hope you can figure out a peaceful resolution for yourelf.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.

In article <p%_%[email protected]>, "MJ"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> As an employee of a grocery store i am speaking on behalf of them. We
> are not able to please everyone...if we dont acknowledge you we get
> condemned for not being polite..and if we are having a bad day and
> look miserable we hear "i can tell someone doesnt like her job"
> Therefore we do what we are recommended to do by our employer to save
> our jobs and to try and keep everyone happy. So if all everyone can
> do is think about how we make them feel..think about how you make us
> feel?..when we do ask you if you need help with anything (not knowing
> that you have already been asked of course) we get looked at like we
> are stupid and rude when all we are trying to do is help. Now look at
> it this way..if you went to a store not knowing what you were looking
> for and not a single person asked you if you needed help. Then when
> you do ask for help you come across that one person who is having a
> bad day and instead of being phony they let their true colors come
> through. Now you tell me if you would go back to that store again? So
> therefore it might just be good that we put on a front for the
> customers and try to be nice wether we are in a good mood or not
> cause trust me you wouldnt want to come across me on a bad day. So
> maybe you all just might want to think of the store clerks also and
> not just about how you are being treated by overly nice grocery
> personal.

> MJ

That was pretty well said, MJ. Thanks. In some jobs, you're damned if
you do and damned if you don't. Pleasantries are just that and nothing
to get twisty about, IMO.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.

> "aem" <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
> >To whom do I express my preference not to be spoken to unless I ask
> >a question? And, if enough people stated a similar preference,
> >could we get them to stop?

> I wish I were there to teach you "The Look." I used to take the bus
> to and from work. When I was concentrating intensely and staring
> blankly out the window, the seat next to mine would be the only empty
> seat on the bus, and I noticed that people would stand in the aisle
> rather than sit with me. I must look dangerous or something.

Reminds me of Chris. :) He came home for a visit once with a godawful
fu manchu moustache and beard combo, unshaven face (tender flesh; I
don't think he shaves daily) -- and he hasn't had a haircut in about 13
years. This is my precious firstborn child, OK? We got home and were
chatting and I said that he looked pretty scary -- like Charlie Manson
on a bad day -- and when he rode the bus to work, did people pretty much
leave him alone? He grinned and said, "Pretty much, Mom. And that's
not necessarily a BAD thing."
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.

Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]>, if that's their real name,
wrote:

>Make a game of it -- "Hi, how are you?"
>"Can I help you find anything?"

Yes. My mind. Have you seen it?

>When the checker asks me if I've found
>everything I came for, I just say "More or less, thanks."

I say that, "Yes, we found too much!"

Carol

--

carbuff wrote:

> > I'm with you. I'm sure everyone won't agree, but I personally don't
> > like being forced to interact with a total stranger for no reason, and
> > when 5 or 6 employees have played this game I'm ready to leave, and
> > sometimes do. My response to is to blatantly ignore them, which is a
> > cold response to a rude intrusion.
> >
> > This doesn't apply to sincere people who are _actually_ trying to be
> > helpful...only to the corporate automatrons.
> >
> > Jeneen

> Nice attitude, ladies! At what point in your lives did you conclude that
> your **** doesn't stink?
> If it's any consolation, the clerks that greet you are probably less
> inclined to do so than you are to hear it. It's corporate doctrine in most
> cases.

You've lost me here. They both referred to the corporate automatons, and after
insinuating in the rudest terms possible that they are being snobs you say
yourself that it is corporate policy. I think that was exactly the point ...
paying someone minimum wage or maybe a little bit more to stand at the door
with a pasted on smile to welcome people. Only a portion of the population is
dumb enough to consider that superficial display of goodwill as a substitute
for genuine care and concern. We want good products and good service in the
store, not a shallow display of good will.

"Dave Smith" wrote
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> The welcomers at our store just sit there like lumps. I smile and say hi
>> each and every time we walk into the store. This one greeter just scowls
>> at me. Not sure that that's preferable to receiving unasked-for help.
>>
>> >Have someone working on the
>> >floor who can help me when I need help. Treat me with respect when I
>> >come
>> >in through the doors, instead of having a phoney smile and want to
>> >staple
>> >my bags closed with a tag on so that you won't have reason to think I
>> >have
>> >shoved things into my bags without paying for them. I refuse to enter a
>> >store where they take pre-emptive steps to prevent me from shoplifting
>> >when
>> >I had no intention of stealing anything.

>> Where does that happen? :(

> The only stores around here that have welcomers are the Walmart stores.
> If you
> walk in with a bag from another store they want to staple it closed.
> Obviously
> the intention is that if the bag is stapled closed you can't stick
> anything in
> and sneak out without paying. I prefer not to deal with stores are
> assuming
> that I am there to steal.

I relate to what you're saying Dave, BUT ... one (notice I say one; there
are many) contributing factors to high retail markups is the shoplifting
factor. Do a bit of research---the dollar loss from shoplifting is a wow
factor. Because this factor has many causes and runs the scale of suspects
from extreme poverty to the Mercedes/sable crowd, retailers have to treat
one and all as possibles. I know this is difficult not to take personally.

In my younger years, this really freaked me and I told my older bro, the
pharmacist. He explained the facts of shoplifting life to me. Now, I
volunteer for the store's prevention with smile and thanks and proceed on my
way.

Pam

"Dog3" <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote in message
>> Try a sly wink and a kissy face in the direction of the false
>> sincerity.....usually scares the hell out of them, especially if they
>> are younglings and you are, alas, a middle aged, slightly lumpy
>> adult....makes them wonder what they started and probably couldn't
>> stop. -Ginny
>>

> ROFLMAO... This just might work. Too funny.
>
> Michael

I'd try it myself, but the guy might just wink back at me.

"Tina Marrie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ions ago, I did "mystery shopping" at a Kroger. The corporate stores

require
> their employees to communicate with you if you within so may feet of them.
> The corporate office then hires "mystery shoppers" to visit the store,

every
> department to check up on these requirements. The rules are many and yes
> annoying. If a mystery shopper comes into the store, and they are not

spoken
> to, the "spy" then takes down their name and department (located on name
> tag) and puts it into the report. Of course the low paid worker then gets
> called in to the office after the report has been released...
>
> So annoying as it may be, many of these workers rely heavily on this job

> support their families. Take it with a grain of salt.

snip

Being that I am disguised as a productive and usefull employee of Wally
world, I can divulge that Walmart has was is called the 10 foot rule....if
someone is within ten feet of you it is imperative that you speak to them,
preferrably by first name if it is known, no matter what their age (having
been brought up Southern, this galls me.......you were taught to respect
your elders). If you are seen to diregard this directive, you will be
'coached for improvement' ....three coachings and you are history. This
is a biggie they enforce. Sleep on the job, or steal, no big deal, but you
better address the little old man chosing which can of cat food to have for
dinner by name.
-Ginny

Thank you.... i was worried i would offend some people..but thats how it
is..damned if you do damned if you dont...lol
"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <p%_%[email protected]>, "MJ"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > As an employee of a grocery store i am speaking on behalf of them. We
> > are not able to please everyone...if we dont acknowledge you we get
> > condemned for not being polite..and if we are having a bad day and
> > look miserable we hear "i can tell someone doesnt like her job"
> > Therefore we do what we are recommended to do by our employer to save
> > our jobs and to try and keep everyone happy. So if all everyone can
> > do is think about how we make them feel..think about how you make us
> > feel?..when we do ask you if you need help with anything (not knowing
> > that you have already been asked of course) we get looked at like we
> > are stupid and rude when all we are trying to do is help. Now look at
> > it this way..if you went to a store not knowing what you were looking
> > for and not a single person asked you if you needed help. Then when
> > you do ask for help you come across that one person who is having a
> > bad day and instead of being phony they let their true colors come
> > through. Now you tell me if you would go back to that store again? So
> > therefore it might just be good that we put on a front for the
> > customers and try to be nice wether we are in a good mood or not
> > cause trust me you wouldnt want to come across me on a bad day. So
> > maybe you all just might want to think of the store clerks also and
> > not just about how you are being treated by overly nice grocery
> > personal.

> > MJ

> That was pretty well said, MJ. Thanks. In some jobs, you're damned if
> you do and damned if you don't. Pleasantries are just that and nothing
> to get twisty about, IMO.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
> "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
> say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
> performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

OK, OK, to make a long story long (but I will get to the greeting thing)---

Mr. Grabau and I are in the process of moving from Minnesota (Twin Cities
[specifically, St. Paul outer tier suburbs) to Colorado (Woodland
Park---essentially west of Colorado Springs and up Ute Pass to the 8500-ft
level). This is a slow process---we now own two homes---as of 12/17/2004.
Like I said, this is a slow process.

We Twin Citians are a very spoiled lot when it comes to grocery stores. We
have some beauties. Sad to say, I think that they've been moving to the
Safeway/Albertson's/whatever side in recent months. Be that as it may, up
to now, we are bleeding spoiled rotten within the Twin Cities (Minnesota)
area when it comes to grocers. Sheesh, we are going to miss this; luckily,
Wholefoods has moved into Colorado Springs---but it's not enough.

I mean, I mean, we went to our local Woodland Park Safeway. The so-called
deli section wasn't any larger than an envelope. We're accustomed (in
Minnesota) to a store that caters to overpaid yuppies who never cook. For
cryin' in the beer, the so-called deli section in our local Minnesota
Byerlys' is darn near a quarter of the store. The store sells USDA PRIME
meat (I buy the little scrap packs for stir fry, hehe). Want fresh
trout---the butcher picks one out of the tank, cleans and dresses it for
you---likewise, lobster. It's truly pathetic how pampered we are, and I
love it! Ah, well, we'll get accustomed to it---eventually.

To the short of the story, the Woodland Park Safeway was in the muddle
(intentional) of a remodel when we met up with it. They had a help-you
shopper person looking out for people who couldn't find their way in the new
layout. Well of course we were blind, we'd never been in the store, much
less before the remodel, so we always had puzzled faces. It took some work
to assure her that we needed to find our own around the store, but she was
truly good and helpful. Our checkout clerk was the supervisory clerk (after
we BROKE THE FEWER THAN LANE RULE by not seeing the stupid sign hanging from
the ceiling---we quickly reloaded and moved---we are mostly nice people).
She was a sweetie, and really good at the welcome-to-our-store thing

The shorter part of the story is that a few days later, we were notified
that a dearly beloved uncle died after a virulent form of lymphoma. Ed and
I were in scream mode to get from essentially Colorado Springs to north of
Grand Forks, ND, for the funeral. I rushed into that Safeway just for a
sympathy card. The GD stripling checkout clerk made me feel like I was part
of the Spanish Inquisition.

Long story short and short story long---training, training, training and
experience, experience, experience.

Pam

hubert liverman wrote:

> I am a partially sighted,Piano Tuner.

Does that mean you're only half as good as the more famous blind piano
tuners then?

Do you offer a discount?

Dave Smith wrote:

> It's nice to be genuinely welcomed into a store, but to have someone
> standing at the door with a smiley face pasted on and a superficial

display
> of welcome is meaningless. Don't have some pleasant old retired

person
> welcoming me into the store for minimum wage. Have someone working on

the
> floor who can help me when I need help. Treat me with respect when I

come
> in through the doors, instead of having a phoney smile and want to

staple
> my bags closed with a tag on so that you won't have reason to think I

have
> shoved things into my bags without paying for them. I refuse to

enter a
> store where they take pre-emptive steps to prevent me from

shoplifting when
> I had no intention of stealing anything.

What I hate worse are the stores who have snot-nosed kids standing at
the exit door to check your bags and recipts to make sure you don't
have stolen goods in them (Fry's, best Buy, etc.). I hate to believe
this society has deteriorated to the point where we have to treat
everybody as a criminal.

-L.

Ions ago, I did "mystery shopping" at a Kroger. The corporate stores require
their employees to communicate with you if you within so may feet of them.
The corporate office then hires "mystery shoppers" to visit the store, every
department to check up on these requirements. The rules are many and yes
annoying. If a mystery shopper comes into the store, and they are not spoken
to, the "spy" then takes down their name and department (located on name
tag) and puts it into the report. Of course the low paid worker then gets
called in to the office after the report has been released...

So annoying as it may be, many of these workers rely heavily on this job to
support their families. Take it with a grain of salt.
news:eek:4_%[email protected]...
> aem wrote:
>> Went to the market today with a longer list than normal so I found
>> myself in every section of the store, spending more than twice my
>> normal time. No fewer than six employees greeted me: "Hi, how are
>> you? How're you doing? How's it going? How are you? Can I help you
>> find anything? Is there anything I can help you with?" This is
>> before I got to the checkout line where the checker thanks me by name
>> (off the receipt) and the bagger asks if I want help out. I am so
>> friggin sick of this fake personalizing of what is in fact an
>> impersonal business transaction I could barf. I have lived in a
>> small town, so I know what genuine personal recognition is, and this
>> corporate management-directed bonhomie is not it. So here are my
>> questions.
>>
>> To whom do I express my preference not to be spoken to unless I ask a
>> question? And, if enough people stated a similar preference, could we
>> get them to stop? -aem

> It's a store policy. They are paid to be polite and greet you. And they
> aren't paid very much. However, it does get annoying. Just say "hi" and
> offer me a cart or a basket, then... go away.
>
> Jill

I read in a magazine years ago- It was called " Do you Re-act or Act?

If you meet someone- do you say "hello"; or do you wait for them to
say "hello".

I alway say "hi" or "hello" even if a person I meet does not. So I Act.

Some people are very moody especially in the morning.