OT: Grocery Greetings

On Thu 24 Mar 2005 05:17:59p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> (snip)
>> > LOL! Gravy...that's even worse! <g> Never understood why anyone
>> > put gravy on something crisp.
>> >
>> > Wayne Boatwright

>> I like sour cream on crispy potato latkes... is sour cream considered
>> gravy?
>>
>> Sheldon

> No. Not even close. Not even if you've stirred it to soup.

I love sour cream on potato latkes!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:31:32 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Terry Pulliam
>Burd <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Wait a sec: if the buzzer didn't cause anyone to flinch and there's
>> this Dana Buchman outfit I really can't afford, maybe I oughta
>> try...or not <g>

>Go for it. How do you like your chicken soup? And what ARE the
>visiting hours?

Uh, can you put a file in that soup, please?

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:37:55 GMT, Dog3 <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz>
wrote:

>Tater tots are easier to do than hash browned potatoes. For a quick
>breakfast, tater tots are easier. Besides, I smother 'em in gravy.

The DH's "comfort food" fried potatoes are the ones where I scrub an
Idaho, slice it thin with its skin on (mandoline-perfect), fry 'em in
bacon grease with S & P. OTOH, I think I could have gotten him to
propose sooner if I'd just used eau de bacon perfume! The man does
love his bacon!

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Terry Pulliam Burd <[email protected]>, if that's their real name,
wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:31:32 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Go for it. How do you like your chicken soup? And what ARE the
>>visiting hours?

>Uh, can you put a file in that soup, please?

GROOOOOOOOOOOOOAN!

Good one! ;)
Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

On 25 Mar 2005 02:30:33 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I love sour cream on potato latkes!

After years of searching, I finally found the *perfect* potato latkes
recipe - crispy, crispy, crispy - absolutely perfect every time. The
secret is getting as much moisture out of the potatoes as possible:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Potato Latkes

vegetables

4 medium potatoes; peeled
2 large yellow onions
4 large eggs; lightly beaten
1/3 cup matzo meal
2 teaspoons salt
pepper; to taste
3/4 cup peanut oil

Using medium shredding blade of food processor, grate the potatoes,
laying them horizontally in the feed tube to maximize the strand
length. Grate the onions on top of the potatoes. The onions will turn
to mush and their juices will help keep the potatoes from turning
brown.

Lay a clean dishtowel inside a large bowl and transfer the grated
mixture into the towel. Roll the towel lengthwise and wring out as
much liquid as possible (you can do this over the bowl, discarding the
liquid, or right over the sink). Depending on the size of the towel,
you may have to do this in batches.

Transfer the grated mixture to a mixing bowl. Add the eggs, matzo
meal, salt and pepper; mix well.

In a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet, pour about 1/8" of oil and
heat on medium high. The oil is hot enough when a piece of potato
sizzles when added. Form a trial latke with a tablespoon of the
mixture. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Taste and, if needed,
add salt and pepper to the potato mixture.

To form the latkes, scoop up about 1/2 C. of the mixture with your
hands and loosely pat it into a pancake about 1/2" thick, leaving a
few straggly strands along the edge. (As you work, liquid will
accumulate in the bowl. Squeeze out the excess. The last couple of
latkes may need a really firm squeeze.) after shaping each latke, slip
it into the hot oil and flatten it gently with the back of a spatula.
Fry until deep golden brown, at least 5 mins. on each side to be sure
the center is fully cooked. If the edges darken very quickly, lower
the heat. To prevent excess oil absorption, flip each latke only once.
Add oil between batches as needed, making sure the oil heats up again
before frying more latkes. Drain on paper towels or a clean brown
paper bag. Serve immediately.

May be rejeated in a 300F oven. Set the latkes directly on the oven
rack and back 8 - 10 mins.

Contributor: Fine Cooking Magazine

Yield: 8 servings

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

On Thu 24 Mar 2005 07:35:42p, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 25 Mar 2005 02:30:33 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I love sour cream on potato latkes!

> After years of searching, I finally found the *perfect* potato latkes
> recipe - crispy, crispy, crispy - absolutely perfect every time. The
> secret is getting as much moisture out of the potatoes as possible:
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Potato Latkes
>
> vegetables
>
> 4 medium potatoes; peeled
> 2 large yellow onions
> 4 large eggs; lightly beaten
> 1/3 cup matzo meal
> 2 teaspoons salt
> pepper; to taste
> 3/4 cup peanut oil
>
> Using medium shredding blade of food processor, grate the potatoes,
> laying them horizontally in the feed tube to maximize the strand
> length. Grate the onions on top of the potatoes. The onions will turn
> to mush and their juices will help keep the potatoes from turning
> brown.
>
> Lay a clean dishtowel inside a large bowl and transfer the grated
> mixture into the towel. Roll the towel lengthwise and wring out as
> much liquid as possible (you can do this over the bowl, discarding the
> liquid, or right over the sink). Depending on the size of the towel,
> you may have to do this in batches.
>
> Transfer the grated mixture to a mixing bowl. Add the eggs, matzo
> meal, salt and pepper; mix well.
>
> In a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet, pour about 1/8" of oil and
> heat on medium high. The oil is hot enough when a piece of potato
> sizzles when added. Form a trial latke with a tablespoon of the
> mixture. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Taste and, if needed,
> add salt and pepper to the potato mixture.
>
> To form the latkes, scoop up about 1/2 C. of the mixture with your
> hands and loosely pat it into a pancake about 1/2" thick, leaving a
> few straggly strands along the edge. (As you work, liquid will
> accumulate in the bowl. Squeeze out the excess. The last couple of
> latkes may need a really firm squeeze.) after shaping each latke, slip
> it into the hot oil and flatten it gently with the back of a spatula.
> Fry until deep golden brown, at least 5 mins. on each side to be sure
> the center is fully cooked. If the edges darken very quickly, lower
> the heat. To prevent excess oil absorption, flip each latke only once.
> Add oil between batches as needed, making sure the oil heats up again
> before frying more latkes. Drain on paper towels or a clean brown
> paper bag. Serve immediately.
>
> May be rejeated in a 300F oven. Set the latkes directly on the oven
> rack and back 8 - 10 mins.
>
> Contributor: Fine Cooking Magazine
>
> Yield: 8 servings

Thanks for posting this, Terry. Will have to try this one.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

In article <[email protected]>, Terry Pulliam
Burd <[email protected]> wrote:
(snippage)
> >> Wait a sec: if the buzzer didn't cause anyone to flinch and there's
> >> this Dana Buchman outfit I really can't afford, maybe I oughta
> >> try...or not <g>

> >Go for it. How do you like your chicken soup? And what ARE the
> >visiting hours?

> Uh, can you put a file in that soup, please?

Your command is my wish. You'll want to be checking the chocolate cake,
too.

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:24:05 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Terry Pulliam
>Burd <[email protected]> wrote:
>(snippage)

>> >Go for it. How do you like your chicken soup? And what ARE the
>> >visiting hours?

>> Uh, can you put a file in that soup, please?

>Your command is my wish. You'll want to be checking the chocolate cake,
>too.

Cake first, please <g> Double fudge chocolate?

Wish you were comin' to the Sandy Eggo cookin in June, girlie.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

On Sat 26 Mar 2005 04:04:44a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> On Thu 24 Mar 2005 10:37:55a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in
>>> news:[email protected]:

>>> Tater tots are easier to do than hash browned potatoes. For a quick
>>> breakfast, tater tots are easier. Besides, I smother 'em in gravy.
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>

>> LOL! Gravy...that's even worse! <g> Never understood why anyone put
>> gravy on something crisp.
>>

> I love it. I don't know why and don't ask. I just like it.
>
> Michael

That's okay. I'm sure there are things I like that no one else does.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

OK, OK, to make a long story long (but I will get to the greeting thing)---

Mr. Grabau and I are in the process of moving from Minnesota (Twin Cities
[specifically, St. Paul outer tier suburbs) to Colorado (Woodland
Park---essentially west of Colorado Springs and up Ute Pass to the 8500-ft
level). This is a slow process---we now own two homes---as of 12/17/2004.
Like I said, this is a slow process.

We Twin Citians are a very spoiled lot when it comes to grocery stores. We
have some beauties. Sad to say, I think that they've been moving to the
Safeway/Albertson's/whatever side in recent months. Be that as it may, up
to now, we are bleeding spoiled rotten within the Twin Cities (Minnesota)
area when it comes to grocers. Sheesh, we are going to miss this; luckily,
Wholefoods has moved into Colorado Springs---but it's not enough.

I mean, I mean, we went to our local Woodland Park Safeway. The so-called
deli section wasn't any larger than an envelope. We're accustomed (in
Minnesota) to a store that caters to overpaid yuppies who never cook. For
cryin' in the beer, the so-called deli section in our local Minnesota
Byerlys' is darn near a quarter of the store. The store sells USDA PRIME
meat (I buy the little scrap packs for stir fry, hehe). Want fresh
trout---the butcher picks one out of the tank, cleans and dresses it for
you---likewise, lobster. It's truly pathetic how pampered we are, and I
love it! Ah, well, we'll get accustomed to it---eventually.

To the short of the story, the Woodland Park Safeway was in the muddle
(intentional) of a remodel when we met up with it. They had a help-you
shopper person looking out for people who couldn't find their way in the new
layout. Well of course we were blind, we'd never been in the store, much
less before the remodel, so we always had puzzled faces. It took some work
to assure her that we needed to find our own around the store, but she was
truly good and helpful. Our checkout clerk was the supervisory clerk (after
we BROKE THE FEWER THAN LANE RULE by not seeing the stupid sign hanging from
the ceiling---we quickly reloaded and moved---we are mostly nice people).
She was a sweetie, and really good at the welcome-to-our-store thing

The shorter part of the story is that a few days later, we were notified
that a dearly beloved uncle died after a virulent form of lymphoma. Ed and
I were in scream mode to get from essentially Colorado Springs to north of
Grand Forks, ND, for the funeral. I rushed into that Safeway just for a
sympathy card. The GD stripling checkout clerk made me feel like I was part
of the Spanish Inquisition.

Long story short and short story long---training, training, training and
experience, experience, experience.

Pam