OT - Obnoxious customers & limits

"Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:
>
>> Better yet, say "Your tantrum is important to us. Please continue to
>> blather
>> like a bombastic twit. Someone will be with you shortly."

> We had a friend who worked, among other things, with lost baggage in
> an airline. He would get people who would yell at him, like it was
> his
> fault their bag was lost. There was a fellow once, who got on a
> different plane to a different destination (missed a flight or gave up
> his seat, can't remember which), and expected his bag to follow him.
> Our friend, after being yelled at and abused for some time, calmly
> told
> this man that there were only two people on the planet who cared about
> where his bag was and one of them was rapidly losing interest.

LOL

Ranee Mueller wrote:

> We had a friend who worked, among other things, with lost baggage in
> an airline. He would get people who would yell at him, like it was his
> fault their bag was lost. There was a fellow once, who got on a
> different plane to a different destination (missed a flight or gave up
> his seat, can't remember which), and expected his bag to follow him.
> Our friend, after being yelled at and abused for some time, calmly told
> this man that there were only two people on the planet who cared about
> where his bag was and one of them was rapidly losing interest.

His luggage wasn't lost. He was.

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:
>
> > I think your first error was to "smile" so when he ragged on you. A
> > serious face, while he ranted might have given him more feeling that you
> > were hearing his complaints, invalid as they might have been? Just saying
> > something like "I'm sorry to inconvenience you by asking again but I'm
> > more than happy to take your order." and let him make the move.

> Better yet, say "Your tantrum is important to us. Please continue to blather
> like a bombastic twit. Someone will be with you shortly."
>
> Bob

One of my favorites: Just stare calmly at the ranter. When the angry
person stops, wait about 2 or 3 seconds, and then say, "Have you found
that in the past, this type of reaction really gets you what you want?
Because I've never found it terribly effective, myself."

N.

In article <[email protected]>,
Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Dan Abel <[email protected]> wrote:

> > The "F" stands for "screw". Commissioned salespeople screw you. That's
> > what they do. The ones not on commission are just waiting to find a
> > real job.
> >
> > Of course, there are a lot of exceptions.

> Does it count if you're screwed and don't know it? What constitutes
> being screwed? The bottom line? Is "the bottom line" always a dollar
> number and only a number? Are you allowed to factor in anything else,
> like service?

I'm sorry. I guess I was just in a bad mood or something. I've had a
lot of good experiences with salespeople, of both kinds.

--
Dan Abel
[email protected]

In article <[email protected]>,
The Ranger <[email protected]> wrote:

> As far as my participation in the work force: My employers are the
> harshest task mistresses I've ever had. 24-7, no paid holidays,
> and no sick leave. I wouldn't trade them for anything I've seen or
> experienced.

I was a stay at home parent myself for a while.

--
Dan Abel
[email protected]

Glitter Ninja wrote:

> Someone also said that they expected their boss to stand up for them.
> I've NEVER had a boss stand up for me.

Yep and that's why LONG ago I got out of public - contact work...

I used to be in the hotel business, customers could come in and treat
the help as nastily and abusively as they desired. "Customers" would
lie, throw tantrums, and even act all outraged when we turned them away
for credit reasons (credit card declined, no way to pay the bill,
etc.), outrageous behavior (drunk, harrassing, you name it). Corp
NEVER backed up their employees, they would only listen to the lousy
friggin' "customers". Most feared were the negative customer comment
cards, if we got one that mentioned an employee's name that employee
was AUTOMATICALLY written up...no asking "What happened here?".

One of our desk clerks even got a potted plant thrown at her by some
azzhole, she was told to "just forget about it". Luckily nowadays she
could sue the jerk AND the hotel and get a generous settlement...

I got canned when some deadbeat came in trying to palm off the same Do
Not Honor credit card (DNH = REVOKED) for the third time in as many
weeks. He stomped off and called the general manager the next day who
COMPED this deadbeat's stay! I told the GM, "Hey, why require payment
for rooms, maybe we should just give away the place..." I got the boot
for "poor attitude"...lol.

[I heard later that this deadbeat had somehow arranged a large line of
credit with the hotel's credit manager, of course the hotel was left
with a $5000.00 bill that they could not collect on... :))) ]

Never again, I got into a different and better line of work after
that...oh and BTW it was Holiday Inn I worked for, to this day I won't
patronise their properties because I saw how badly they shat on their
front - line workers...but this I guess this is the norm in Korporate
Amerika.

I don't like electronic surveillance per se but I've come to the
conclusion that most all customer transactions should be videotaped,
that way it's easy to disprove the lying scumbags that try to take
advantage...

--
Best
Greg

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> The Ranger <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>As far as my participation in the work force: My employers are the
>>harshest task mistresses I've ever had. 24-7, no paid holidays,
>>and no sick leave. I wouldn't trade them for anything I've seen or
>>experienced.

> I was a stay at home parent myself for a while.

LOL - it took me a minute to get that - when I re-read that I almost
fell over laughing

Roberta (SAHM of a 3 and 5 year old)

Last night I wrote a long post answering most of the concerns brought up
in this thread. Then it disappeared into who knows where when I tried
to send it. I won't try to recreate it, will just sum up with this:

First, thank you all. I wanted thoughts and perspective, and I got it.
I wanted some idea of what the limits should be, and I got it. I know
I'm better able to deal with anything if I know what I should reasonably
be expected to put up and what I shouldn't. Thanks.

Second, I did want to address one comment. I don't work on commission,
and I'm not an idiot. I like my job and do it well. I've worked on
commission in the past and hated it. As it is, my co-workers and I can
work as a team without being in the position of competing for the
customers we know buy a lot. We all stock and clean and weigh cheese
and help customers and carry packages out to the parking lot and operate
the cash register with equal good grace without worrying about who gets
the commission. I'm much happier that way.

--Lia

In article <[email protected]>,
Dan Abel <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Dan Abel <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > The "F" stands for "screw". Commissioned salespeople screw you. That's
> > > what they do. The ones not on commission are just waiting to find a
> > > real job.
> > >
> > > Of course, there are a lot of exceptions.

> > Does it count if you're screwed and don't know it? What constitutes
> > being screwed? The bottom line? Is "the bottom line" always a dollar
> > number and only a number? Are you allowed to factor in anything else,
> > like service?

> I'm sorry. I guess I was just in a bad mood or something. I've had a
> lot of good experiences with salespeople, of both kinds.

Well, good thing *I've* never posted when I was in a bad mood, Dan. <g>
It's not a hanging offense. Service interests me a lot. Humor The Old
Broad. I've bought four computers in 14 years from the same guy. Not
much haggling - the Macs are pretty much the same price, dictated by
Apple. Maybe I could do better online -- I don't know because I've
never looked. I like to support local businesses when possible because
I've got a name, a face, and address, and a phone number if I need help.
I bought a scanner locally after almost buying it from Amazon for $20
less. A hassle to get it up and running that the local vendor took care
of for me. I wouldn't have gotten that from Canon. If there's a big
price differential, I ask if the local can meet the lower price from
afar. Sometimes they can. Sometimes they can't. Depending on the
item, that makes a difference or it doesn't. For me, "the bottom line"
isn't only about a number.

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Ho Ho Dessert

Recipe By : posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 12-20-05
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts

1 box Hostess HoHos
1 quart vanilla ice cream
Whipped cream
Melted chocolate chips
1 clear glass dessert bowl

Slice HoHos into small circles (like cookie dough). Layer glass
bowl with HoHos and ice cream. When the bowl is nearly full, cover with
whip cream
and drizzle with melted chocolate chips for a delicious, good-looking
dessert.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 1061 Calories; 58g Fat (48%
calories from fat); 18g Protein; 125g Carbohydrate; 232mg Cholesterol;
422mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 11 1/2 Fat; 8 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : rec.food.cooking 10/28/98 - didn't record poster's details.

_____
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-18-05 - Church review (I think
I'll become a critic - Rob's been calling me one for years!)

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
>
> Ho Ho Dessert
>
> Recipe By : posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 12-20-05
> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Desserts

> 1 box Hostess HoHos

1 quart vanilla ice cream
Whipped cream
Melted chocolate chips
1 clear glass dessert bowl

OMIgod, you are channeling Sandra Lee.

(Actually, the recipe doesn't sound half bad!)

gloria p

Puester wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

>> * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
>>
>> Ho Ho Dessert
>>
>> Recipe By : posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 12-20-05
>> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Desserts
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 box Hostess HoHos

> 1 quart vanilla ice cream
> Whipped cream
> Melted chocolate chips
> 1 clear glass dessert bowl
>

> OMIgod, you are channeling Sandra Lee.
>

> gloria p

LOL LOL LOL.. I was thinking the VERY same thing!!!! LOL
<snort!>

Puester wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

>> * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
>>
>> Ho Ho Dessert
>>
>> Recipe By : posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 12-20-05
>> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Desserts
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 box Hostess HoHos

> 1 quart vanilla ice cream
> Whipped cream
> Melted chocolate chips
> 1 clear glass dessert bowl
>

> OMIgod, you are channeling Sandra Lee.
>
> (Actually, the recipe doesn't sound half bad!)
>
> gloria p

no, sandra lee would mash up the ho-hos and mix them with cool whip and
almonds.

:)

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Ranee Mueller wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:
>
> > Better yet, say "Your tantrum is important to us. Please continue to blather
> > like a bombastic twit. Someone will be with you shortly."

> We had a friend who worked, among other things, with lost baggage in
> an airline. He would get people who would yell at him, like it was his
> fault their bag was lost. There was a fellow once, who got on a
> different plane to a different destination (missed a flight or gave up
> his seat, can't remember which), and expected his bag to follow him.
> Our friend, after being yelled at and abused for some time, calmly told
> this man that there were only two people on the planet who cared about
> where his bag was and one of them was rapidly losing interest.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee
>
> Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.
>
> "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13
>
> http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
> http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

That's wonderful. Good for him.

Elaine, too

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 06:31:30 -0800, The Ranger
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Enough that I don't want 'r need for nothin'.

Not even a new fruit tree defense?

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge

"Elaine Parrish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Shaun aRe wrote:

> > Sorry, but I really do not understand why all the qualifiers like
> > 'personally' and 'I think' and 'maybe' that I'm seeing in this thread

WRT
> > sexual harassment. Well ANY kind of abusive harassment really. It is

wrong,
> > and you do not have to put up with it - period.

> It is wrong. But "wrong" is a moral judgement unless there are laws on the
> books that say it is wrong, adequate evidence to win in a court of law,
> and money to pay an attorney, etc. Your opinion is correct - in a perfect
> world.

> >The boss wants to fire you
> > for refusing to take abuse? Sue the **** for wrongful dissmissal and

win -

> This simply is not the case in the US. Many states, including the one in
> which I live, have *NO* laws on the books to protect workers - called
> Labor Laws. The only federal law specifies "discrimination based on race,
> creed, color, national origin, or sex". Most of the "sympathies" of the
> governing bodies lay with business, so Labor laws are almost impossible to
> get passed and even harder to keep.
>
> This is not to say that employees are not protected under other laws, such
> as the statutes against assault, fraud, or sexual harrassment. However,
> they are not protected as "employees", but as regular citizens.
>
> > there is no law says You have to put yourself through psycho-emotional
> > trauma - not from bosses, not from co-workers, not from customers. The

boss
> > may not like this one bit and may use the fact they hold your job as a

lever
> > to have you do their bidding no matter how traumatic, but that's not a

law,
> > not a legal requirement of you to put up with it - it's their tough ****
> > should you decide you've had enough and take appropriate action.

> You are mistaken here as regards most of the states in the US.
> In many states, the employee has only one viable option - find another
> job.
>
> Union jobs, usually, build in some kind of protections for their members,
> but unions don't even offer the level of protection they once did.
>
> The larger companies that have "handbooks" or "policy books" or "rules
> books" can use the policies to fire an employee, but the books (or
> pamphlets, or handouts, etc) are only binding on the employee, not the
> employer. The courts do recognize the policies books as a defense for
> employers in firing an employee, but the courts do not recognize them if
> presented by employees as proof of anything. The policy books do not
> constitute a contract. Employment does not constitute a contract. This is
> the law in much of the US and many companies have begun to state on many
> forms, etc, "Employment does not constitute a contract"(which would fall
> under "Contract" Law).
>
> The only exception is legal, written contracts - as are negociated by a
> unions or by some individuals, etc.
>
> Elaine, too

This saddens and sickens me to hear, Elaine ',;~{~

Shaun aRe

In article
<[email protected]>,
Puester <[email protected]> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
> >
> > Ho Ho Dessert
> >
> > Recipe By : posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 12-20-05
> > Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
> > Categories : Desserts
> >
> > Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> > -------- ------------ --------------------------------
> > 1 box Hostess HoHos

> 1 quart vanilla ice cream
> Whipped cream
> Melted chocolate chips
> 1 clear glass dessert bowl
>

> OMIgod, you are channeling Sandra Lee.
>
> (Actually, the recipe doesn't sound half bad!)
>
> gloria p

I've only got about four good recipes, G. I love Ho Hos. And they're
seasonal!! "0-)
--

Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote:

> Puester wrote:
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >

> >> * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
> >>
> >> Ho Ho Dessert
> >>
> >> Recipe By : posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 12-20-05
> >> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
> >> Categories : Desserts
> >>
> >> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> >> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
> >> 1 box Hostess HoHos

> > 1 quart vanilla ice cream
> > Whipped cream
> > Melted chocolate chips
> > 1 clear glass dessert bowl
> >

> > OMIgod, you are channeling Sandra Lee.
> >

> > gloria p

> LOL LOL LOL.. I was thinking the VERY same thing!!!! LOL
> <snort!>

You're poking fun at me. Well, FINE, Goomba! Snort yourself! <Barb, in
her best imitation of The Kid at 3-1/2, turns and flounces away!>
Sounds like I'm supposed to be offended. Who's Sandra Lee?
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-18-05 - Church review (I think
I'll become a critic - Rob's been calling me one for years!)
and a toffee recipe.

> Who's Sandra Lee?
> --

If you don't know you're much better off, trust me!

kili

"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> Puester <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> >
>> > * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
>> >
>> > Ho Ho Dessert
>> >
>> > Recipe By : posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 12-20-05
>> > Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
>> > Categories : Desserts
>> >
>> > Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> > -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> > 1 box Hostess HoHos

>> 1 quart vanilla ice cream
>> Whipped cream
>> Melted chocolate chips
>> 1 clear glass dessert bowl
>>

>> OMIgod, you are channeling Sandra Lee.
>>
>> (Actually, the recipe doesn't sound half bad!)
>>
>> gloria p

> I've only got about four good recipes, G. I love Ho Hos. And they're
> seasonal!! "0-)

and there... I thought a ho in US was something completely different
<WEG>

O who has seen the Jerry Springer show

On Wed 21 Dec 2005 05:39:19a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ophelia?

> "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> In article
>> <[email protected]>,
>> Puester <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> 1 quart vanilla ice cream
>>> Whipped cream
>>> Melted chocolate chips
>>> 1 clear glass dessert bowl
>>>

>>> OMIgod, you are channeling Sandra Lee.
>>>
>>> (Actually, the recipe doesn't sound half bad!)
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> I've only got about four good recipes, G. I love Ho Hos. And they're
>> seasonal!! "0-)

> and there... I thought a ho in US was something completely different
> <WEG>
>
> O who has seen the Jerry Springer show

Then you can just imagine what a ho ho is!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*