OT: Short funny GRS

Phil, Squid-in-Training

Guest
There was a customer who came in to get fitted on his new $1700 road/tri
bike. Apparently he hadn't used clipless or a trainer ever. He tried so
hard to clip in that he offset the balance of the bike/trainer way over,
crashing onto his side. I laughed inside.

--
Phil

Ahh, I remember getting used to clipless pedals. I was all over that
patch of prickly pear. Long afterwards, I laughed also. Tom

tom wrote:
> Ahh, I remember getting used to clipless pedals. I was all over that
> patch of prickly pear. Long afterwards, I laughed also. Tom
> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>
>>There was a customer who came in to get fitted on his new $1700 road/tri
>>bike. Apparently he hadn't used clipless or a trainer ever. He tried so
>>hard to clip in that he offset the balance of the bike/trainer way over,
>>crashing onto his side. I laughed inside.
>>
>>--
>>Phil

I fell off too. Come to lights. Stop. Take foot out of pedal. Foot no
come out of pedal. CRASH! I felt ashamed at the time.
Now I just laugh it off as part of the learning curve.

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> There was a customer who came in to get fitted on his new $1700 road/tri
> bike. Apparently he hadn't used clipless or a trainer ever. He tried so
> hard to clip in that he offset the balance of the bike/trainer way over,
> crashing onto his side. I laughed inside.
>
> --
> Phil

What made it even funnier is that the person in question is a wannabe
tri-geek.

JD

JD wrote:
> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> > There was a customer who came in to get fitted on his new $1700 road/tri
> > bike. Apparently he hadn't used clipless or a trainer ever. He tried so
> > hard to clip in that he offset the balance of the bike/trainer way over,
> > crashing onto his side. I laughed inside.
> >
> > --
> > Phil

> What made it even funnier is that the person in question is a wannabe
> tri-geek.
>
> JD

No offence to Tri geeks... but I find them to be the least able road
riders I have ever met...
They have no idea how to ride in a group and as far as I have seen do
not value good body mechanics on the bike...
While on a ride with Carla we had a group of tri geeks pass at a high
rate of speed, sweep in front of us and en mass apply the brakes...
Nothing like trying so stop a fixie or crash into a group... I think I
mastered skidding at that moment.
I yelled at them but they just told me that everyone of them crashes
regularly and I should just get used to crashing.
I didn't realize road riding required regular bouncing off the pavemrnt
lessons.

Jimbo(san)

"Jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> JD wrote:
>> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>> > There was a customer who came in to get fitted on his new $1700
>> > road/tri
>> > bike. Apparently he hadn't used clipless or a trainer ever. He tried
>> > so
>> > hard to clip in that he offset the balance of the bike/trainer way
>> > over,
>> > crashing onto his side. I laughed inside.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Phil

>> What made it even funnier is that the person in question is a wannabe
>> tri-geek.
>>
>> JD

> No offence to Tri geeks... but I find them to be the least able road
> riders I have ever met...
> They have no idea how to ride in a group and as far as I have seen do
> not value good body mechanics on the bike...
> While on a ride with Carla we had a group of tri geeks pass at a high
> rate of speed, sweep in front of us and en mass apply the brakes...
> Nothing like trying so stop a fixie or crash into a group... I think I
> mastered skidding at that moment.
> I yelled at them but they just told me that everyone of them crashes
> regularly and I should just get used to crashing.
> I didn't realize road riding required regular bouncing off the pavemrnt
> lessons.
>

> Jimbo(san)

Maybe they just wanted to get a second look at the tattooed skank

Jimbo(san) wrote:
> JD wrote:
> > Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> > > There was a customer who came in to get fitted on his new $1700 road/tri
> > > bike. Apparently he hadn't used clipless or a trainer ever. He tried so
> > > hard to clip in that he offset the balance of the bike/trainer way over,
> > > crashing onto his side. I laughed inside.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Phil

> > What made it even funnier is that the person in question is a wannabe
> > tri-geek.
> >
> > JD

> No offence to Tri geeks... but I find them to be the least able road
> riders I have ever met...
> They have no idea how to ride in a group and as far as I have seen do
> not value good body mechanics on the bike...
> While on a ride with Carla we had a group of tri geeks pass at a high
> rate of speed, sweep in front of us and en mass apply the brakes...
> Nothing like trying so stop a fixie or crash into a group... I think I
> mastered skidding at that moment.
> I yelled at them but they just told me that everyone of them crashes
> regularly and I should just get used to crashing.
> I didn't realize road riding required regular bouncing off the pavemrnt
> lessons.
>

> Jimbo(san)

The tri guys I KNOW come from cycling, so they're not problematic and
know to stay out of the extensions (or whatever it's called) if they're
in a pack. A lot of the tri guys I MEET in nyc are type-A me-firsters
who think of cyclists as one-trick ponies. They largely seem to come
from competitive swimming. Yet another bunch of cluebie idiots on
overly specialized $5K bikes who consider riding a bicycle another
cherished opportunity to be an elitist asshole. (Yeah, my rant is
reverse elitism, which would be laughable if the pack you ran into
weren't close to putting a raspberry on your ass.)
Crashing is a natural part of mtb'ing, but if somebody riding long
enough to know better skipped apologizing for their poor judgement by
telling me that getting cut off an inherent part of road riding, it's
highly likely that person would get a quick lesson in learning how to
ride into a curb.

/s

Jimbo(san) wrote:
> JD wrote:
>
>>Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>>
>>>There was a customer who came in to get fitted on his new $1700 road/tri
>>>bike. Apparently he hadn't used clipless or a trainer ever. He tried so
>>>hard to clip in that he offset the balance of the bike/trainer way over,
>>>crashing onto his side. I laughed inside.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Phil

>>What made it even funnier is that the person in question is a wannabe
>>tri-geek.
>>
>>JD

> No offence to Tri geeks... but I find them to be the least able road
> riders I have ever met...
> They have no idea how to ride in a group and as far as I have seen do
> not value good body mechanics on the bike...
> While on a ride with Carla we had a group of tri geeks pass at a high
> rate of speed, sweep in front of us and en mass apply the brakes...
> Nothing like trying so stop a fixie or crash into a group... I think I
> mastered skidding at that moment.
> I yelled at them but they just told me that everyone of them crashes
> regularly and I should just get used to crashing.
> I didn't realize road riding required regular bouncing off the pavemrnt
> lessons.
>

> Jimbo(san)

Some are definitely like that. As Scott points out, these are usually
the Tri Geeks who don't have a cycling background.
Since we're such a cycling town, most of our Tri Geeks have prior
cycling experience, and many are long time mountain bikers. I think the
problem for the cycling newbie Tri Geek is that they aren't allowed to
ride in packs in competition so many never figure it out.
I think regular crashes should only be a part of BAD cycling, and I want
no part of that, whether is comes from dudes in swim suits on TT bikes
with aero bars or anyone else.

Matt

MattB wrote:
> Jimbo(san) wrote:
>> JD wrote:

>>> What made it even funnier is that the person in question is a
>>> wannabe tri-geek.
>>>
>>> JD

>> No offence to Tri geeks... but I find them to be the least able road
>> riders I have ever met...
>> They have no idea how to ride in a group and as far as I have seen do
>> not value good body mechanics on the bike...
>> While on a ride with Carla we had a group of tri geeks pass at a high
>> rate of speed, sweep in front of us and en mass apply the brakes...
>> Nothing like trying so stop a fixie or crash into a group... I think
>> I mastered skidding at that moment.
>> I yelled at them but they just told me that everyone of them crashes
>> regularly and I should just get used to crashing.
>> I didn't realize road riding required regular bouncing off the
>> pavemrnt lessons.
>>

>> Jimbo(san)
>>

> Some are definitely like that. As Scott points out, these are usually
> the Tri Geeks who don't have a cycling background.
> Since we're such a cycling town, most of our Tri Geeks have prior
> cycling experience, and many are long time mountain bikers. I think
> the problem for the cycling newbie Tri Geek is that they aren't
> allowed to ride in packs in competition so many never figure it out.
> I think regular crashes should only be a part of BAD cycling, and I
> want no part of that, whether is comes from dudes in swim suits on TT
> bikes with aero bars or anyone else.

They're not all dudes, you know. Sheesh... so insensitive... ;)

--
Phil

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>>Jimbo(san) wrote:

>>>No offence to Tri geeks... but I find them to be the least able road
>>>riders I have ever met...
>>>They have no idea how to ride in a group and as far as I have seen do
>>>not value good body mechanics on the bike...
>>>While on a ride with Carla we had a group of tri geeks pass at a high
>>>rate of speed, sweep in front of us and en mass apply the brakes...
>>>Nothing like trying so stop a fixie or crash into a group... I think
>>>I mastered skidding at that moment.
>>>I yelled at them but they just told me that everyone of them crashes
>>>regularly and I should just get used to crashing.
>>>I didn't realize road riding required regular bouncing off the
>>>pavemrnt lessons.
>>>

>>>Jimbo(san)
>>>

>>Some are definitely like that. As Scott points out, these are usually
>>the Tri Geeks who don't have a cycling background.
>>Since we're such a cycling town, most of our Tri Geeks have prior
>>cycling experience, and many are long time mountain bikers. I think
>>the problem for the cycling newbie Tri Geek is that they aren't
>>allowed to ride in packs in competition so many never figure it out.
>>I think regular crashes should only be a part of BAD cycling, and I
>>want no part of that, whether is comes from dudes in swim suits on TT
>>bikes with aero bars or anyone else.

> They're not all dudes, you know. Sheesh... so insensitive... ;)

Insensitive is my middle name!

Matt

PS I figured the "or anyone else" part covered the non-dudes.

Jimbo(san) wrote:
> While on a ride with Carla we had a group of tri geeks pass at a high
> rate of speed, sweep in front of us and en mass apply the brakes...
> Nothing like trying so stop a fixie or crash into a group.

You should have plowed just into them.

JD

MattB wrote:
> Some are definitely like that. As Scott points out, these are usually
> the Tri Geeks who don't have a cycling background.
> Since we're such a cycling town, most of our Tri Geeks have prior
> cycling experience, and many are long time mountain bikers. I think the
> problem for the cycling newbie Tri Geek is that they aren't allowed to
> ride in packs in competition so many never figure it out.
> I think regular crashes should only be a part of BAD cycling, and I want
> no part of that, whether is comes from dudes in swim suits on TT bikes
> with aero bars or anyone else.
>
> Matt

I recently had my first legit road biff in over ten years. (Not counting
about a dozen tip-overs and love taps from running out of stopping
room.) But getting to that point of experience and stability (and luck)
involved yards or road rash.

I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
the most insidious of traitors."
George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,