OT: Tipping when you pickup food to go?

Chuck

Guest
Local restaurant (not big city) You must place any "to go" orders at
the bar..
I ordered a salad to go (char grilled mahi, mahi greek salad.. )
I was never asked if I wanted a drink while I waited.. etc. It was
obvious that I was there just for my order..
Should I have tipped? No "service" was offered.. They took my order,,
then took my money.. Didn't really think about it till after I left..

Is mahi, mahi high in calories when grilled? It was damn good... I
was just calculating how many times a month I could afford to get this
salad..
I may go back and tip the people in the kitchen regardless..
Chuck (in SC)

Chuck wrote:

> Local restaurant (not big city) You must place any "to go" orders at
> the bar..
> I ordered a salad to go (char grilled mahi, mahi greek salad.. )
> I was never asked if I wanted a drink while I waited.. etc. It was
> obvious that I was there just for my order..
> Should I have tipped? No "service" was offered.. They took my order,,
> then took my money.. Didn't really think about it till after I left..

No tip, imho.

Bob

Chuck wrote:
> Local restaurant (not big city) You must place any "to go" orders at
> the bar..
> I ordered a salad to go (char grilled mahi, mahi greek salad.. )
> I was never asked if I wanted a drink while I waited.. etc. It was
> obvious that I was there just for my order..
> Should I have tipped? No "service" was offered.. They took my order,,
> then took my money.. Didn't really think about it till after I left..

Tipping is proliferating - used to be barber, cab driver,
waitstaff/bartenders and folk who carry luggage or get you a cab: but
now tip jars are all over. Two opposing points of view are:

1. As a matter of principle I'm not going to be part of the spread of
this pernicious and degrading practice.

2. By spreading a few bucks around I can get a lot nicer treatment,
and the folks who get the money are not generally getting rich in the
jobs they do.

I hold to the second view out of some combination of weakness and a
desire for the easiest ride possible through life.

Chuck wrote:
> Local restaurant (not big city) You must place any "to go" orders at
> the bar..
> I ordered a salad to go (char grilled mahi, mahi greek salad.. )
> I was never asked if I wanted a drink while I waited.. etc. It was
> obvious that I was there just for my order..
> Should I have tipped? No "service" was offered.. They took my order,,
> then took my money.. Didn't really think about it till after I left..

I generally do not.

> Is mahi, mahi high in calories when grilled? It was damn good... I
> was just calculating how many times a month I could afford to get this
> salad..
> I may go back and tip the people in the kitchen regardless..
> Chuck (in SC)

Call the manager or owner and rave about your dish - ask to make sure
your comments are given to the chef.

-L.

"Chuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Local restaurant (not big city) You must place any "to go" orders at
> the bar..
> I ordered a salad to go (char grilled mahi, mahi greek salad.. )
> I was never asked if I wanted a drink while I waited.. etc. It was
> obvious that I was there just for my order..
> Should I have tipped? No "service" was offered.. They took my order,,
> then took my money.. Didn't really think about it till after I left..
>
> Is mahi, mahi high in calories when grilled? It was damn good... I
> was just calculating how many times a month I could afford to get this
> salad..
> I may go back and tip the people in the kitchen regardless..
> Chuck (in SC)

I get frozen fillets of mahi mahi at Costco -- really reasonable price.
Could/would you make this dish yourself?
I've ordered a grill -- so I will be grilling it as soon as it gets here.
Dee Dee

Chuck wrote:
> Local restaurant (not big city) You must place any "to go" orders at
> the bar..
> I ordered a salad to go (char grilled mahi, mahi greek salad.. )
> I was never asked if I wanted a drink while I waited.. etc. It was
> obvious that I was there just for my order..
> Should I have tipped? No "service" was offered.. They took my order,,
> then took my money.. Didn't really think about it till after I left..

I don't tip at take-out places either....
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

"Chuck" <[email protected]> wrote

> Local restaurant (not big city) You must place any "to go" orders at
> the bar..
> I ordered a salad to go (char grilled mahi, mahi greek salad.. )
> I was never asked if I wanted a drink while I waited.. etc. It was
> obvious that I was there just for my order..
> Should I have tipped?

N. O.

nancy

"Chuck" wrote
> Local restaurant (not big city) You must place any "to go" orders at
> the bar..
> I ordered a salad to go (char grilled mahi, mahi greek salad.. )
> I was never asked if I wanted a drink while I waited.. etc. It was
> obvious that I was there just for my order..
> Should I have tipped? No "service" was offered.. They took my order,,
> then took my money.. Didn't really think about it till after I left..

I don't.

Chuck wrote:
> Local restaurant (not big city) You must place any "to go" orders at
> the bar..
> I ordered a salad to go (char grilled mahi, mahi greek salad.. )
> I was never asked if I wanted a drink while I waited.. etc. It was
> obvious that I was there just for my order..
> Should I have tipped? No "service" was offered.. They took my order,,
> then took my money.. Didn't really think about it till after I left..
>
> Is mahi, mahi high in calories when grilled? It was damn good... I
> was just calculating how many times a month I could afford to get this
> salad..
> I may go back and tip the people in the kitchen regardless..
> Chuck (in SC)

I don't tip for take out, it'd be like tipping the cashier at Macys,
IMHO. I do tip on take out when I have a huge order and they get a
busboy to take it out to my car.

Jessica

"Jessica V." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Chuck wrote:
> > Local restaurant (not big city) You must place any "to go" orders at
> > the bar..
> > I ordered a salad to go (char grilled mahi, mahi greek salad.. )
> > I was never asked if I wanted a drink while I waited.. etc. It was
> > obvious that I was there just for my order..
> > Should I have tipped? No "service" was offered.. They took my order,,
> > then took my money.. Didn't really think about it till after I left..
> >
> > Is mahi, mahi high in calories when grilled? It was damn good... I
> > was just calculating how many times a month I could afford to get this
> > salad..
> > I may go back and tip the people in the kitchen regardless..
> > Chuck (in SC)

> I don't tip for take out, it'd be like tipping the cashier at Macys,
> IMHO. I do tip on take out when I have a huge order and they get a
> busboy to take it out to my car.
>
> Jessica

I struggle with this as well. I throw a couple of bucks if it's a big order
or if I am ordering from my usual hangout. Robin

Chuck wrote:
> Local restaurant (not big city) You must place any "to go" orders at
> the bar..
> I ordered a salad to go (char grilled mahi, mahi greek salad.. )
> I was never asked if I wanted a drink while I waited.. etc. It was
> obvious that I was there just for my order..
> Should I have tipped? No "service" was offered.. They took my order,,
> then took my money.. Didn't really think about it till after I left..
>
> Is mahi, mahi high in calories when grilled? It was damn good... I
> was just calculating how many times a month I could afford to get this
> salad..
> I may go back and tip the people in the kitchen regardless..
> Chuck (in SC)

I usually only tip for take-out orders at those places where I'm a
frequent guest (for either eat-in or take-out). But, at those places,
the workers usually recognize us and go out of their way to take good
care of regular customers, so it's a slightly different scenario.

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:24:49 GMT, Chuck <[email protected]> wrote:

>Local restaurant (not big city) You must place any "to go" orders at
>the bar..
>I ordered a salad to go (char grilled mahi, mahi greek salad.. )
>I was never asked if I wanted a drink while I waited.. etc. It was
>obvious that I was there just for my order..
>Should I have tipped? No "service" was offered.. They took my order,,
>then took my money.. Didn't really think about it till after I left..
>
>Is mahi, mahi high in calories when grilled? It was damn good... I
>was just calculating how many times a month I could afford to get this
>salad..
>I may go back and tip the people in the kitchen regardless..
>Chuck (in SC)

I tip for *service* not product. Bringing me the product I ordered isn't service unless
it is a self-service place (imagine a self-cook restaurant?).

If there is an element of personal service in the transaction, above and beyond what is
needed to do the job pleasantly, I might offer a tip. The few times I have tried to tip
for what I felt was over-the-top service it was refused. "It's my job, sir, but thanks
for the thought."

But I wouldn't tip for a take home pizza, why for a take home dinner?

--
Rick R
[email protected]ult

">
> I usually only tip for take-out orders at those places where I'm a
> frequent guest (for either eat-in or take-out). But, at those places, the
> workers usually recognize us and go out of their way to take good care of
> regular customers, so it's a slightly different scenario.

*** for tat -- good system. I like it.
Dee Dee

As someone who has worked as a bartender and was given the responsibility
to handle carry out food, I must put in my two cents worth. I have worked
at 4 different establishments, including a major chain (Friday's) and
none of these places gave the bartenders an extra penny to handle the
extra work - it was just considered "part of the job." (In fact, in most
states, the bartenders at Friday's make minimum SERVER wage plus tips -
$3.00 an hour, not so-called REAL minimum wage. In Chicago, in part from
pressure from the National Restaurant Association, this server pay has
only been increased once in 20 years, not like regular pay)

This is certainly not the customer's problem - they just want service.
However, it might shine some light on why some customers might be on hold
for some time, and why the service might be less than stellar when the
customer asks the bartender to go back in the kitchen for yet another
side of mayo.

Frankly, I think the system stinks. Some restaurants, like Outback,
actually pay people to handle the carry out business. But I have worked a
dead Super Bowl Sunday where the carry out business is double what the
restaurant business is, and the bartender makes $5 in tips for all the
extra work - taking the order, ringing it up, (explaining it to hispanic
cooks), making sure it is boxed and full of condiments, and then handling
the cash end.

Lastly, many bosses (this is usually done on a store by store basis, not
necessarily "policy") make the bartender ring in all carry out food under
their number - therefore, the bartender is responsible for declaring tips
on carry out food - even if stiffed. In some cases, the bartender
actually LOST money taking carry out food.

As I said above - it isn't the customer's fault - it's just a crappy
system. Bartenders just grumble when tipping restaurant guests have to
wait because they are stuck back in the kitchen boxing up orders for 20.
The restaurant owners are just too cheap to care.

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:51:03 -0500, "Dee Randall"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Chuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Local restaurant (not big city) You must place any "to go" orders at
>> the bar..
>> I ordered a salad to go (char grilled mahi, mahi greek salad.. )
>> I was never asked if I wanted a drink while I waited.. etc. It was
>> obvious that I was there just for my order..
>> Should I have tipped? No "service" was offered.. They took my order,,
>> then took my money.. Didn't really think about it till after I left..
>>
>> Is mahi, mahi high in calories when grilled? It was damn good... I
>> was just calculating how many times a month I could afford to get this
>> salad..
>> I may go back and tip the people in the kitchen regardless..
>> Chuck (in SC)

>I get frozen fillets of mahi mahi at Costco -- really reasonable price.
>Could/would you make this dish yourself?
>I've ordered a grill -- so I will be grilling it as soon as it gets here.
>Dee Dee

I'll bring the salad fixin's then.. what time? which coast?!
Oh wait.. tin foil hat subject again!

I recently joined "sam's club".. .. haven't seen it there..
The closest costco is 90 miles away in Charlotte NC.. and I do go by
there often.. just hate the idea of "paying to be a customer" again..

Thanks for the feedback everyone..
Chuck (in SC)

Complete coincidence, it wasn't my idea to have Chinese food
for dinner, and I am never the one to pick it up. Tonight, I did.
I had *plenty* of time to notice (as someone had walked in and
ordered over $80 worth of food and they were slammed), that
they had a Tip Jar! No freakin way am I tipping to pick up the
food I ordered.

Call me a bad, bad cheap person, but I think that is over the
line. What's next, I'll take a Big Mac, oh here's a dollar for
handing it to me? Unlikely.

The bartender situation that someone mentioned, that's just
wrong. No way should someone have to claim takeout orders
on their ticket/whatever. Not right. I reconsider my thinking on
that for that reason, though it's not an issue for me, I don't do that.
Order out from restaurants, aside from Chinese or pizza.

This tipping thing is out of control. At some point people
should just do their job that they are being paid for, that's what
I think. Obviously waitstaff is not paid for that and it's understood.
In the states.

nancy

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:24:49 GMT, Chuck <[email protected]> rummaged among
random neurons and opined:

>Local restaurant (not big city) You must place any "to go" orders at
>the bar..
>I ordered a salad to go (char grilled mahi, mahi greek salad.. )
>I was never asked if I wanted a drink while I waited.. etc. It was
>obvious that I was there just for my order..
>Should I have tipped? No "service" was offered.. They took my order,,
>then took my money.. Didn't really think about it till after I left..

<snip>

I wouldn't tip for the above. An' another thin', Loosey, what's up
with the tip jars at coffee houses and the like? I'm supposed to tip a
barista for doing her job?

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

On Mon 20 Feb 2006 05:28:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Terry
Pulliam Burd?

> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:24:49 GMT, Chuck <[email protected]> rummaged among
> random neurons and opined:
>
>>Local restaurant (not big city) You must place any "to go" orders at
>>the bar..
>>I ordered a salad to go (char grilled mahi, mahi greek salad.. )
>>I was never asked if I wanted a drink while I waited.. etc. It was
>>obvious that I was there just for my order..
>>Should I have tipped? No "service" was offered.. They took my order,,
>>then took my money.. Didn't really think about it till after I left..

> <snip>
>
> I wouldn't tip for the above. An' another thin', Loosey, what's up
> with the tip jars at coffee houses and the like? I'm supposed to tip a
> barista for doing her job?

Now that's something that really pisses me off!

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

"Chuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:51:03 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Chuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>> Local restaurant (not big city) You must place any "to go" orders at
>>> the bar..
>>> I ordered a salad to go (char grilled mahi, mahi greek salad.. )
>>> I was never asked if I wanted a drink while I waited.. etc. It was
>>> obvious that I was there just for my order..
>>> Should I have tipped? No "service" was offered.. They took my order,,
>>> then took my money.. Didn't really think about it till after I left..
>>>
>>> Is mahi, mahi high in calories when grilled? It was damn good... I
>>> was just calculating how many times a month I could afford to get this
>>> salad..
>>> I may go back and tip the people in the kitchen regardless..
>>> Chuck (in SC)

>>I get frozen fillets of mahi mahi at Costco -- really reasonable price.
>>Could/would you make this dish yourself?
>>I've ordered a grill -- so I will be grilling it as soon as it gets here.
>>Dee Dee
>>

> I'll bring the salad fixin's then.. what time? which coast?!
> Oh wait.. tin foil hat subject again!
>
> I recently joined "sam's club".. .. haven't seen it there..
> The closest costco is 90 miles away in Charlotte NC.. and I do go by
> there often.. just hate the idea of "paying to be a customer" again..
>

> Thanks for the feedback everyone..
> Chuck (in SC)

I don't pay to belong to Costco -- I paid $100 for a membership and got back
$400 for the trouble of saving myself money. Two + two = five.
Dee Dee

"Chuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> The closest costco is 90 miles away in Charlotte NC.. and I do go by
> there often.. just hate the idea of "paying to be a customer" again..

Understandable. I put off joining BJ's for a long time. While in theory
you are right, my savings can pay for the membership in one shopping trip on
meats. Good quality and the best prices around. I save about $6 a fill on
propane tanks and I use a couple a month in winter. Some cleaning supplies
and paper goods are just as cheap at WalMart.