OT: Tipping when you pickup food to go?

pgluth1 wrote:

> As I said above - it isn't the customer's fault - it's just a crappy
> system. Bartenders just grumble when tipping restaurant guests have to
> wait because they are stuck back in the kitchen boxing up orders for 20.
> The restaurant owners are just too cheap to care.

F! the owner. Let him take care of takeout orders if the bartender is
busy tending bar. Or he can hire someone to handle takeouts.

You're right; it's not my problem, and I don't leave a tip for takeout.
But I also don't order takeout at the bar, I'll order at some other
fine establishment.

Bob

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:30:14 -0500, "Dee Randall"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Chuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:51:03 -0500, "Dee Randall"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>"Chuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>I get frozen fillets of mahi mahi at Costco -- really reasonable price.
>>>Could/would you make this dish yourself?
>>>I've ordered a grill -- so I will be grilling it as soon as it gets here.
>>>Dee Dee
>>>

>> I'll bring the salad fixin's then.. what time? which coast?!
>> Oh wait.. tin foil hat subject again!
>>
>> I recently joined "sam's club".. .. haven't seen it there..
>> The closest costco is 90 miles away in Charlotte NC.. and I do go by
>> there often.. just hate the idea of "paying to be a customer" again..
>>

>> Thanks for the feedback everyone..
>> Chuck (in SC)

>I don't pay to belong to Costco -- I paid $100 for a membership and got back
>$400 for the trouble of saving myself money. Two + two = five.
>Dee Dee

so.. the memberships there are $100?..
You figure saving $400 per year.. shopping for how many?

Me being single.. I wonder if I'll save that much..
I do think I saved buying my kitchenaid mixer at Sams' Club
I could buy a separate deep freeze.. I'd like to have the room to make
cheesecakes in advance.. BUT.. i'd need generator to be safe from the
longer power outages.. (other than frozen cheesecakes)
Ice storms sometimes knocks out power for 3 or 4 days.. last time I
lost enough in my side by side to have paid for a small generator..
Chuck (inSC)

"Chuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:30:14 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Chuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>> I'll bring the salad fixin's then.. what time? which coast?!
>>> Oh wait.. tin foil hat subject again!
>>>
>>> I recently joined "sam's club".. .. haven't seen it there..
>>> The closest costco is 90 miles away in Charlotte NC.. and I do go by
>>> there often.. just hate the idea of "paying to be a customer" again..
>>>

>>> Thanks for the feedback everyone..
>>> Chuck (in SC)

>>I don't pay to belong to Costco -- I paid $100 for a membership and got
>>back
>>$400 for the trouble of saving myself money. Two + two = five.
>>Dee Dee
>>

> so.. the memberships there are $100?..
> You figure saving $400 per year.. shopping for how many?
>
> Me being single.. I wonder if I'll save that much..
> I do think I saved buying my kitchenaid mixer at Sams' Club
> I could buy a separate deep freeze.. I'd like to have the room to make
> cheesecakes in advance.. BUT.. i'd need generator to be safe from the
> longer power outages.. (other than frozen cheesecakes)
> Ice storms sometimes knocks out power for 3 or 4 days.. last time I
> lost enough in my side by side to have paid for a small generator..
> Chuck (inSC)

Chuck, there are two of us. We pay $100 for the more expensive membership.
You get 2% back from Costco and 2% back from American Express (2% of
anything you buy with that cc). The 4% equals a little over $400 rebate,
thus earning $300 because we shop there. That amount has nothing to do with
the amount of money we save on products we buy there.

Hey, there's a nice little deep freeze there; too compact for me, but it's
only $179. I would've bought it, but DH is a little more conservative. We
do buy things like you mention: a generator. I am cautious about prices, so
I always comparison shop. With food, I don't usually comparison shop; if
it's there and I think I might like it, I buy it. I might have to convince
DH, but it doesn't matter because he usually ends up eating 3/4 of what we
bring home. Later he thanks me for my suggestion.

But it doesn't stop at Costco with our membership shopping. We also pay for
a membership at BJ's. I believe it's not as big a percentage, but we always
get rebated more than enough to pay for our membership. BJ's has some
things that Costco doesn't have and I don't want to be limited. BJ's is
about 70 miles away, so it's not as convenient.

Sams is another matter. I have a mental block there. It doesn't matter,
there's none around anyway.
Dee Dee

On Mon 20 Feb 2006 09:42:19a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Anthony?

> Chuck wrote:
>> Local restaurant (not big city) You must place any "to go" orders at
>> the bar..
>> I ordered a salad to go (char grilled mahi, mahi greek salad.. )
>> I was never asked if I wanted a drink while I waited.. etc. It was
>> obvious that I was there just for my order..
>> Should I have tipped? No "service" was offered.. They took my order,,
>> then took my money.. Didn't really think about it till after I left..
>>

> Tipping is proliferating - used to be barber, cab driver,
> waitstaff/bartenders and folk who carry luggage or get you a cab: but
> now tip jars are all over. Two opposing points of view are:
>
> 1. As a matter of principle I'm not going to be part of the spread of
> this pernicious and degrading practice.
>
> 2. By spreading a few bucks around I can get a lot nicer treatment,
> and the folks who get the money are not generally getting rich in the
> jobs they do.
>
> I hold to the second view out of some combination of weakness and a
> desire for the easiest ride possible through life.

I don't see this as being much different from my putting a tip jar on the
corner of my desk. You're welcome to stop by anytime!

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

pgluth1 <[email protected]> writes:

>As someone who has worked as a bartender and was given the responsibility
>to handle carry out food, I must put in my two cents worth. I have worked
>at 4 different establishments, including a major chain (Friday's) and
>none of these places gave the bartenders an extra penny to handle the
>extra work - it was just considered "part of the job."

But if it's considered part of the job then by definition it is NOT
extra work. At chain restaurants the bartenders are expected to handle
carry out orders. I'm not saying it's a great system, but I am saying
that it's not "extra" work, it's part of the job.
I know the server wage is **** -- I was a waitress for a time and it's
a joke, here in Kansas they make you deduct your tips from the $3/hour
server wage you make, therefore many days you work just for tips. If
your boss thinks you're fibbing about tips, he'll turn you into the IRS.
Happened twice while I was a waitress at Pizza Hut. How the IRS could
audit someone who made $6K a year was beyond me.

Stacia

Chuck wrote:
> Local restaurant (not big city) You must place any "to go" orders at
> the bar..
> I ordered a salad to go (char grilled mahi, mahi greek salad.. )
> I was never asked if I wanted a drink while I waited.. etc. It was
> obvious that I was there just for my order..
> Should I have tipped? No "service" was offered.. They took my order,,
> then took my money.. Didn't really think about it till after I left..

> Chuck,

I usually tip at a flat rate of 15% regardless of the situation. If
your take out salad was $4.50 that would mean just throwing down a $5,
smile and say keep it.

You speak like one who has been there...

I guess the, well, "it's part of the job" is the rub. Because it is "part
of the job" doesn't make it any easier to do with a smile. At the end of
the day, it was all the non-bartending work that ****** off the bartenders
the most - selling gift certificates at Christmas (some guy on a busy
Saturday night wanted 75 - $5 gift cerfticates - each one had to be
validated and run through the computer......slowly), carry out food,
washing dishes, signing up "rewards cards" and the like. Many places I have
worked at make the servers / bartenders wash dishes and cook food during
the slow times because it is cheaper than hiring extra cooks. Frankly most
employees like their jobs, it's when they have to do other's jobs it's gets
frustrating.

The money was almost always excellent overall. But at $3.00 an hour, the
boss loved to find extra work for us to do. He said, "you wanna work here?
you make money? you do the work." I asked a guy who sold new cars for a
living about the same scenario. Suppose you make a decent living and like
selling cars. One day the boss says, "we've decided to fire the custodian
to save some money, can you clean up the bathrooms after we close?" A month
later, the boss says, "we've decided to cut back a little, can you detail
all your own cars? Maybe wash the windows of the showroom? Those mechanics
make a ton of money, can you help with the routine oil changes?" It's just
part of the job......

I worked for a small chain called Nick & Tony's in Geneva, Illinois. One
lunch, I sold over $3000 in gift certificates - mostly in $25 increments. I
had to pay taxes on all the sales. My boss bought me a appetizer. It may be
"just part of the job," but I quit.

"jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Chuck wrote:
>> Local restaurant (not big city) You must place any "to go" orders at
>> the bar..
>> I ordered a salad to go (char grilled mahi, mahi greek salad.. )
>> I was never asked if I wanted a drink while I waited.. etc. It was
>> obvious that I was there just for my order..
>> Should I have tipped? No "service" was offered.. They took my order,,
>> then took my money.. Didn't really think about it till after I left..

>> Chuck,

> I usually tip at a flat rate of 15% regardless of the situation. If
> your take out salad was $4.50 that would mean just throwing down a $5,
> smile and say keep it.

Never mnd that $0.50 is 11% of $4.50.

I applaud generosity but there are places where tips are not appropriate and
I think take-out is one of them. If you buy prepared food at Whole Foods,
say, do you tip? The same is true of any counter service. I think that the
tip jars you see at coffee houses and the like are sleazy and greedy.

--
Peter Aitken

On 21-Feb-2006, "jim" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I usually tip at a flat rate of 15% regardless of the situation. If
> your take out salad was $4.50 that would mean just throwing down a $5,
> smile and say keep it.

Hmmm; maybe I'm not good at doing math in my head, but I came up with 11%,
not 15%.

I tip based upon service received; takeout involves them handing me a bag or
box - not much service, not much tip, if any. Same is true of a buffet,
where I might tip 10% where an "attendant" comes by regularly with plates,
bread and/or drink refills

In a sit-down-and-be-waited-on restaurant, I'll typically tip (maybe that
should be "tipically") 10-25% depending on service. In very rare
circumstances I will leave less than 10%, or nothing at all. Also, on an
occasion or two I have left a tip as high as 50%.

--
"Better Things for Better Living … Through Chemistry." - DuPont, or Timothy
Leary?

Sorry,
My Texas Instuments Scientific TI-30Xa Solar Calculater must have bin
on the blink this a.m. We dont get much sunlight in Ohio this time of
year.
v\r

"jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sorry,
> My Texas Instuments Scientific TI-30Xa Solar Calculater must have bin
> on the blink this a.m. We dont get much sunlight in Ohio this time of
> year.
> v\r

"bin"?

--
Peter Aitken

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

> I don't see this as being much different from my putting a tip jar on the
> corner of my desk. You're welcome to stop by anytime!

I'm still trying to figure this one out, a place sells food/drink,
that's their business, but if you actually want to *take* the food
from the people selling it, you should tip. What, I'm supposed
to come back there and eat it? Or am I supposed to come back
there and pour my own coffee/cook my own food?

Very strange concept.

nancy

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
>

>>I don't see this as being much different from my putting a tip jar on the
>>corner of my desk. You're welcome to stop by anytime!

> I'm still trying to figure this one out, a place sells food/drink,
> that's their business, but if you actually want to *take* the food
> from the people selling it, you should tip. What, I'm supposed
> to come back there and eat it? Or am I supposed to come back
> there and pour my own coffee/cook my own food?
>
> Very strange concept.
>
> nancy

The counter help is not so much greedy so just desperate because wages
are so low.

Bob

"zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> I'm still trying to figure this one out, a place sells food/drink,
>> that's their business, but if you actually want to *take* the food
>> from the people selling it, you should tip. What, I'm supposed
>> to come back there and eat it? Or am I supposed to come back
>> there and pour my own coffee/cook my own food?

> The counter help is not so much greedy so just desperate because wages are
> so low.

Well ... I know people who have been really desperate for money,
they didn't get to put a tip jar on their desk. Know what I'm saying?
Anyway, a tip is for service, not for just patronizing a store. Ringing
up my order and taking my money in payment is not a service, it's how
businesses sell stuff. Just taking it for yourself is frowned upon.

nancy

Opps,

Was reading a story about Bin Laden before I wrote this post. Simple
things for simple minds.

On 20-Feb-2006, Chuck <[email protected]> wrote:

> Me being single.. I wonder if I'll save that much..
> I do think I saved buying my kitchenaid mixer at Sams' Club
> I could buy a separate deep freeze.. I'd like to have the room to make
> cheesecakes in advance.. BUT.. i'd need generator to be safe from the
> longer power outages.. (other than frozen cheesecakes)
> Ice storms sometimes knocks out power for 3 or 4 days.. last time I
> lost enough in my side by side to have paid for a small generator..

You might be surprised by modern freezers. Earlier this winter, I had a
four day power outage - I did not open the freezer door until the power came
back on. Immediately after power came back, I opened the freezer to see how
bad the damage was - not a single item had defrosted, everything was still
frozen rock-hard. The key was not opening the door; new freezers are
extremely well insulated.

I should have checked with a thermometer to see what the interior
temperature was, but didn't think to do it at the time. I'm sure there had
been a several degree rise, but still below freezing.

--
To email, replace Cujo with Juno

Nancy Young wrote:

> > The counter help is not so much greedy so just desperate because wages are
> > so low.

> Well ... I know people who have been really desperate for money,
> they didn't get to put a tip jar on their desk. Know what I'm saying?

Hey, I know.......they can start a website and then start spamming
groups trying to convince people to give them money.........

"Jude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> > The counter help is not so much greedy so just desperate because wages
>> > are
>> > so low.

>> Well ... I know people who have been really desperate for money,
>> they didn't get to put a tip jar on their desk. Know what I'm saying?

> Hey, I know.......they can start a website and then start spamming
> groups trying to convince people to give them money.........

It's easy to feel selfish for not putting some money in the cup when a young
person is serving you. I know they will always appreciate it. I feel it is
probably a community cup and they divvey-it-up at the end of the day.

What is amusing is the apparent placement of the cup so as to 'almost'
interfere with the purchased item as they sit it down on the counter; or if
they count out your change, it is counted almost directly over the community
cup. Or so it seems -- making me feel even more selfish if I don't
'accidentally' drop a few coins in there -- tee hee.

The thing is, there is no rhyme or reason why I will or will not drop a few
coins in the cup. But, definitely not, if someone is intentionally snotty;
being a senior, they might think I would never tip - "So what the hell -
let's give her some real service!" ha ha
Dee Dee

Nancy Young wrote:

> Well ... I know people who have been really desperate for money,
> they didn't get to put a tip jar on their desk. Know what I'm saying?
> Anyway, a tip is for service, not for just patronizing a store. Ringing
> up my order and taking my money in payment is not a service, it's how
> businesses sell stuff. Just taking it for yourself is frowned upon.

That's very true. The kids who work in convenience stores and gas stations
probably don't make any more than minimum wage and you never see tip jars in
those places.