OTish- Radio 2 soon (ie 1-2pm) - asylum seeker and manslaughter

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:22:16 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>With two convictions for assault following on from what are, after all, the perfectly normal
>frustrations of driving, plus a token suicide attempt on conviction, he seems to me to be a
>dangerously unstable character who will always be a ticking bomb when behind the wheel of a car.

The jail sentence was derisory, and clearly he should have been banned from driving for life.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:13:46 +0000, Nathaniel David Porter
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)W K wrote: ) )>Well, someone thinks he should be done for manslaughter. )>I really really hate
:this show as it seems to contain nothing but unthinking )>knee jerk reactions. )> )>But might have
:some insights. )> )> )> )> )Well, he did kill somone whilst driving very recklessly, so why
:)shouldn't he be done for manslaughter?

Because murder's more appropriate. *

Some of you may have heard that a very popular radio presenter's been killed in Birmingham last week
by burglars driving the man's own car (I believe).

I'd accept they get either a life or death sentence, nothing less.

It's not just a case of punishing the culprit, but showing that such behaviour will not be
tolerated at all.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:07:27 +0000 (UTC), "W K" <[email protected]> wrote:

:)Its an accident with fairly simple causes, in many ways a rather clear cut )case. )Two boys run
:across a road, a third follows them. )The first two were behaving in an extremely risky way - and
:gave their side )of the story. ) )It was the kind of accident that will happen for as long as we
:have cars or )children. )

* Unless of course it wasn't the driver's fault.
--
Comm again, Mike.

On 12 Feb 2004 14:39:44 GMT, [email protected]
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote:

:)For the life of me, I can't imagine leaving the scene where you might have just )killed someone.
:If, please god forbid, I am ever in that situation when driving )- of having knocked someone over,
:I cannot see me running away. And even if I )could, hand on heart, truthfully say it wasn't my
:fault, it would still be an )enormous guilt I would never be able to get rid of. I cannot
:understand the )mentality or morality of hit and run.

Until you understand the human body/mentality better.

I don't, but have been involved in "pathetic" incidents, and believe me, normality is the last thing
you think of & do. For one thing, you immediately think everyone else is against you and you become
defensive.
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:14:44 -0000, "Eatmorepies"
<[email protected]> wrote:

:) )" )> > Well, he did kill somone whilst driving very recklessly, so why )> > shouldn't he be done
:for manslaughter? )> )> Hidden in all this emotional baggage is the FACT that he was not driving )>
:recklessly. )> Evidence from the three other witnesses clearly suggest he was driving in )a )>
:perfectly normal way. ) )If normal driving includes having no licence, insurance, tax and MOT. Such
:)lack of regard for the rules does imply a certain lack of regard for other )road users. I can
:imagine a situation where a child may run out in front of )my car and be hurt - a less than
:pleasant thought. However, I set out to )work with all rules obeyed, surely a signal that I intend
:to do the right )thing with my vehicle. What I do know is that if I am unlucky (unskilled at
:)driving?) to damage a person then my insurance policy will be in force and )will offer some
:financial support to them for the rest of their life. If a )driver has no operative insurance then
:they are demonstrating a scant regard )for other people and deserve a hefty punishment. I think 6
:months too short.

If the death wasn't his fault, then he should only be punished for his failings to be legal.
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 00:06:29 GMT, limpet
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)I am sick and tired of the excuses made about this kind of offence ) )1, He had no licence 2, He
:had no insurance ) )ergo, If he had abided by the law he wouldn`t have been on the road.

Or had a licence & insurance.

:) )3, He was speeding. Saying he was speeding a little bit is like saying )the boy is a little
:bit dead.

He could have been under the speed limit say doing 20 in a 40 limit resulting in the boy being 50%
dead. Same difference.
:) )Regardless of him being an asylum seeker or not, ignorance as we all )know is no excuse. It`s
:about time people started taking responsibility )for their own actions.

Absolutely - those child's parents should have educated him into being safe around roads.

The items indicated above show that he could
:)hardly have been driving any more unlawfully. I think manslaughter is a )reasonable charge. I
:wouldn`t have baulked at murder.......it might have )made a few of the other idiots driving around
:in similar circumstances )think twice.......merry christmas.

The good news is, the boy won't do it again.
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:18:43 +0000 (UTC), "j"
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)Honestly, I am not a racist, but the tabloids highlighting this sort of )thing is good for road
:safety in the long run I think. Maybe the law can get )changed to make people in charge of
:dangerous machinery act responsibly.

Yes, there should be barriers on all roads to stop pedestrians walking into the road.
Problem solved.
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:30:55 +0000 (UTC), "W K" <[email protected]>
wrote:

:) )"Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:)news:eek:[email protected]... )> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:07:27 +0000 (UTC), W K
:<[email protected]> wrote: )> )> > )> > "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers"
:<[email protected]> wrote )in )> > message news:20040212093944.24788.00001794@mb-
:m16.aol.com... )> > )> >> You are completely correct that it's a disgrace the boy was )> >> killed.
:)> > )> > Said by three people - but why? )> )> He admitted, in court, he was speeding. ) )By a
:small margin. ) )> > Its an accident with fairly simple causes, in many ways a rather clear )> >
:cut )> > case. )> > Two boys run across a road, a third follows them. )> > The first two were
:behaving in an extremely risky way - and gave their )> > side )> > of the story. )> > )> > It was
:the kind of accident that will happen for as long as we have cars )> > or )> > children. )> )> It
:is the kind of 'accident' that would be less likely to happen or have )> less serious consequences
:if drivers didn't speed

Even better if peds used common sense.
:) )No doubt true in many cases, but it doesn't look like it in this one. )The same set of
:circumstances could easily have happened at the speed limit. ) )

--
Comm again, Mike.

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 01:43:08 GMT, pmailkeey
<[email protected]> wrote:

> :) )"Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> :)news:eek:[email protected]...

> :)> It is the kind of 'accident' that would be less likely to happen or
> have
> :)> less serious consequences if drivers didn't speed
>
> Even better if peds used common sense.

It was a child. Children do unpredictable things.

Colin

news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 01:43:08 GMT, pmailkeey <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > :) )"Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > :)news:eek:[email protected]...
>
> > :)> It is the kind of 'accident' that would be less likely to happen or
> > have
> > :)> less serious consequences if drivers didn't speed
> >
> > Even better if peds used common sense.
>
> It was a child. Children do unpredictable things.

It should be a disturbing point for anyone that drives. Any one of us could have had that
same accident.

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 01:43:07 GMT, [email protected]
(pmailkeey) wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>He could have been under the speed limit say doing 20 in a 40 limit resulting in the boy being 50%
>dead. Same difference.

Actually about 5% dead.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 01:43:06 GMT, [email protected]
(pmailkeey) wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>Yes, there should be barriers on all roads to stop pedestrians walking into the road.
>Problem solved.

How about putting the barriers /across/ the road so the pedestrians who live in places can move
freely and the /car drivers/ get the inconvenience?

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:34:35 -0000, Colin Blackburn
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 01:43:08 GMT, pmailkeey )<[email protected]> wrote: ) ) )> :) )>
::)"Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message )>
::)news:eek:[email protected]... ) )> :)> It is the kind of 'accident' that would be
:less likely to happen or )> have )> :)> less serious consequences if drivers didn't speed )> )>
:Even better if peds used common sense. ) )It was a child. Children do unpredictable things.

Because parents let them.
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 02:06:10 GMT, [email protected]
(pmailkeey) wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>:)It was a child. Children do unpredictable things.
>Because parents let them.

Because they are children. Parents might seek increasingly to control this tendency, but
unpredictability is a trait of children the world over and always has been.

Guy
===

pmailkeey wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:34:35 -0000, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> :)On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 01:43:08 GMT, pmailkeey ) )It was a child. Children do unpredictable things.
>
> Because parents let them.

Its in the nature of childhood. A child that is denied the chance to do unpredicatable and stupid
things will grow up to be a very timid and miserable individual.

To steal our childrens worlds to give the driver the freedom to drive were they wish, when they
wish, as fast as they wish and as carelessly as the wish?

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:46:35 -0000, "AndyMorris"
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)pmailkeey wrote: )> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:34:35 -0000, Colin Blackburn )>
:<[email protected]> wrote: )> )> :)On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 01:43:08 GMT, pmailkeey )> :) )>
::)It was a child. Children do unpredictable things. )> )> Because parents let them. ) )Its in the
:nature of childhood. A child that is denied the chance to do )unpredicatable and stupid things will
:grow up to be a very timid and )miserable individual. ) )To steal our childrens worlds to give the
:driver the freedom to drive were )they wish, when they wish, as fast as they wish and as carelessly
:as the )wish? )

There's a time and a place for everything.
--
Comm again, Mike.