Ouch, my f*!&&!&# knee!!

DJJ

Nov 22, 2004
Hi everyone,
Getting out of bed on Saturday morning, I felt my left knee cap "pop out" then "pop back in" again. (I don't know the technical terms yet, but it hurt quite a lot). I then went out for my weekend ride.

Later back at home, it happened again 3 more times, until I went out to buy a support bandage for my knee. (it's been OK since putting on the elasticated bandage)

I'm 39 now, but have never had any problems with my knees before, and wonder where this problem came from. I plan to see a physio soon, but I would be really pleased to hear from anyone who has had similar problems, or advice...

In particular if anyone has any comments on the following, that would be great...
- presumably cycling is OK, what about running?
- will my knee fix itself or do I need to do something more?

Thanks for anyone with information
(maybe I'm just getting old!)

I'm not any kind of an expert, but I do know that running causes more stress to the knee joints than cycling does (assuming you are properly fit on your bike), simply due to the amount of weight being placed on the joint (I guess this may not be true of the super skinny 130lb types though). If you are a gear masher, you may want to look into changing that, and trying to spin at a cadence of 80-100 rpm. Hope your knee gets better!!

You are either subluxating (partial dislocation) or dislocating your knee cap/patella. Sometimes the wear-n-tear of activity can cause this to happen, sometimes it is just congenital. Your patella slides in a groove on your femur (think of tongue and groove joint) and do to various reasons, this can become compromised. Keep wearing your sleeve and definitely get in to a physio/physical therapist to work on some rehab. Good Luck.

Thanks Martin and Doc,

After reading around a bit more, it seems to be a "subluxating patella". (the thing just pops out a bit, then pops back in)

I'll give up the running, (this seems to have caused it), and see what the physio says about specific excercises to increase the strength of some of the muscles around my knee.

Thanks again!