Pace In Training

Olsilverback

Jul 14, 2005
If on a serious training ride in a large pack you dont like the pace will you sit in the pack or will you break away? Just wondering because I dont like the pace the other riders in the pack ride at. The only trouble is I don't want to look like a try-hard to the A and B grade riders and I just cant stand riding at a pace below what I would normally ride at. What would you do?

Thats the problem, on the first half of the ride they are serious and we keep a great pace but after the turn around they take it as more of a social ride and the couple of us who actually want to train have to decide. If they wanted I know that most in the pack could leave me for dead but they just dont commit.

Talking in a bunch makes it more interesting WHILE training. You dont have to ride flat out to get a good workout. Lower intensity and longer workouts build endurance.

Olsilverback said:
Thats the problem, on the first half of the ride they are serious and we keep a great pace but after the turn around they take it as more of a social ride and the couple of us who actually want to train have to decide. If they wanted I know that most in the pack could leave me for dead but they just dont commit.

Put yourself on the front going out and really hurt yourself. Do some hard stuff before or after you meet the bunch. Turn around after the bunch does and t.t back to them. Spin an easier gear. If all else fails get on the front heading home with somoene else who wants to have a bit of a go and gradually lift up the pace and then see how everyone reacts.

if there going 30k/h and you want 34 get up there and show them how ,if they say slow down keep going. if they get angry what the hell!!! if its a race go 4 ya life! however you might be getting confused between a race and a training ride in which case dont bother.

after the turnaround, here are two great ways to provide race simulation:
1, a hill that provides a death march attrition of the non climbers

2, a sprint point, sign or landmark

3, a combination of the above, such as a hilltop sprint.

if you can turn the heat up here, it might cause a stir and become a ride tradition.

Olsilverback said:

macca1234 said:
if there going 30k/h and you want 34 get up there and show them how ,if they say slow down keep going. if they get angry what the hell!!! if its a race go 4 ya life! however you might be getting confused between a race and a training ride in which case dont bother.
Going in we are around 35-38 for most of the way in, if somebody brakes away as I usually do, we can be over 40 for 10km, then we have sprints along the way, the problem is coming out. They dont push, they sit on 30 all the way back home, I dont ride with them out, its to slow, there is usually another guy who I ride with going home but he crashed heavily several weeks ago so I've been alone. Finally last weekend I had one guy stick with me and for the 25km back home we didnt drop below 40.