Packing a bike transport bag

Chris Nowak

Guest
Im taking my bike by air to Finland soon. This may sound a daft question: I
have a Pro ace nylon bag with a pocket for the wheels. What I'm not sure
about is how to pack my bike into it. Do I just take the wheels, pedals off
and rotate the hadle bars. Should I take the rear mech off as well?
Any help to prevent damage in transit will help.
Chris

In message <[email protected]>
"Chris Nowak" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm taking my bike by air

<Snip>

Depressurise the tyres.
(And shocks if you have them).

I know that now luggage is put in bomb resistant boxes, but an
exploding car tyre can take out a C130 Hurcules.

Martin.

--
Typed by monkey #27662472869676 on typewriter #7552416572242
When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.

Martin Dann wrote:

> Depressurise the tyres.
> (And shocks if you have them).

Absolute rubbish. The excess pressure in a hold is about 5psi or within
the tolerance to which to inflate your tyres anyway. When was the last
time you had a tyre explode on you and did it take out your garage when
it did? To quote British Airways:

"It is not necessary from a safety perspective to deflate typical tyres
found on bikes and wheelchairs."

Ditto shocks.

--
Tony

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)