Pants?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andrew, Apr 26, 2003.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Now this is not an expletive this time.

    If it is not too intimate to reveal what do people do whilst cycling, pants wise?

    After a long ride cotton ones seem so soggy its like wearing a nappy.

    Is there a more comfy solution? Commando is an obvious one.

    --
    Andrew

    "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
    stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

    Tags:

  2. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    andrew wrote:
    > Now this is not an expletive this time.
    >
    > If it is not too intimate to reveal what do people do whilst cycling, pants wise?
    >
    > After a long ride cotton ones seem so soggy its like wearing a nappy.
    >
    > Is there a more comfy solution? Commando is an obvious one.

    Depends what and how I'm going to ride.

    If it's with the wife and kids, almost anything will do .. If it's a race then full lycra, if I'm
    out 'playing' then baggy shorts and 'proper' padded undergarment works well.

    --

    Completed 1611 Seti work units in 12319 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  3. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 21:20:22 +0100, andrew wrote:

    > Now this is not an expletive this time.
    >
    > If it is not too intimate to reveal what do people do whilst cycling, pants wise?
    >
    > After a long ride cotton ones seem so soggy its like wearing a nappy.
    >
    > Is there a more comfy solution? Commando is an obvious one.

    I normally wear baggy shorts from Parrot. I think these are really good - they are made of a
    quick drying fabric (I think it is Tactel), have pockets and come to just above my knees. As Paul
    says, underneath you can wear padded 'shorts liners'. I wear shorts liners, or a pair of lycra
    cycling shorts.

  4. Msa

    Msa Guest

    John Hearns <[email protected]> wrote in message news:q%[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 21:20:22 +0100, andrew wrote:
    >
    > > Now this is not an expletive this time.
    > >
    > > If it is not too intimate to reveal what do people do whilst cycling,
    pants
    > > wise?
    > >
    > > After a long ride cotton ones seem so soggy its like wearing a nappy.
    > >
    > > Is there a more comfy solution? Commando is an obvious one.
    >
    > I normally wear baggy shorts from Parrot. I think these are really good - they are made of a
    > quick drying fabric (I think it is Tactel), have pockets and come to just above my knees. As Paul
    > says, underneath you can wear padded 'shorts liners'. I wear shorts liners, or a pair of lycra
    > cycling shorts.

    Anything more than 40km in the saddle.....Commando...there is no other way.

    --
    Mark

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    andrew wrote:
    > Is there a more comfy solution? Commando is an obvious one.

    Not supposed to wear anything underneath lycra cycling shorts (although I don't think you'll get
    arrested if you do!).

    Non-cotton underpants are available, eg: http://tinyurl.com/ae3g .

    If wearing baggy shorts/trousers, you could try padded cycling undershorts, eg. Madison or Ozzo (I
    tried Madison's and thought they were awful but plenty of people like them).

    See: www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp?no_category=15&text_company=UNDERCLOTHES for some undershorts with
    and without padding.

    ~PB

  6. >Not supposed to wear anything underneath lycra cycling shorts (although I don't think you'll get
    >arrested if you do!).

    Personally I wear me knickers under me shorts as I find it more comfortable. Vernon goes commando
    (large weapon - did I say that???) but Nathan is shy and is covered up ;-) Each to what he or she
    finds most comfortable I think. With the proviso, of course, that b*bs are abhorrant whether
    commando or otherwise.

    Cheers, paving slab fairy

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  7. Nc

    Nc Guest

    "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Now this is not an expletive this time.
    >
    > If it is not too intimate to reveal what do people do whilst cycling,
    pants
    > wise?
    >
    > After a long ride cotton ones seem so soggy its like wearing a nappy.
    >
    > Is there a more comfy solution? Commando is an obvious one.

    Outdoor (walking/climbing) shops sell pants made from synthetics which wick sweat better
    than cotton.

    NC

  8. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

    > b*bs are abhorrant whether commando or otherwise.

    What will you do when Nathan goes through his rebellious stage?
    --
    remove remove to reply

  9. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, andrew wrote

    > Boobs? Que?
    >
    > Abhorrant?
    >
    > I'm confused.

    bibshorts.

    --
    ----------------------+ Alex Graham | [email protected] | ----------------------+

  10. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    . With
    > the proviso, of course, that b*bs are abhorrant whether commando or
    otherwise.

    Boobs? Que?

    Abhorrant?

    I'm confused.

    --
    Andrew

    "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
    stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

  11. Terry

    Terry Guest

    "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Now this is not an expletive this time.
    >
    > If it is not too intimate to reveal what do people do whilst cycling,
    pants
    > wise?
    >
    > After a long ride cotton ones seem so soggy its like wearing a nappy.
    >
    > Is there a more comfy solution? Commando is an obvious one.
    >

    > --
    > Andrew
    >

    > "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to
    do
    > with the ball, just stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

    Bib shorts everytime..........................

    >ducks out of the way<

  12. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

    >>What will you do when Nathan goes through his rebellious stage?
    >
    >Actually, he doesn't like b*bs - I have indoctrinated, sorry, trained him well. We mothers are
    >expert at inducing guilt trips - comes with the job description ;-)

    I was indoctrinated to believe that phoning home if out after 11 pm was the right thing to do... But
    when in the embrace of a young lady in the tender teens phoning home was the last thing on my mind.
    Actually, the subject title was more to do with what was on my mind!
    --
    remove remove to reply

  13. "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Now this is not an expletive this time.
    >
    > If it is not too intimate to reveal what do people do whilst cycling,
    pants
    > wise?
    >
    > After a long ride cotton ones seem so soggy its like wearing a nappy.
    >
    > Is there a more comfy solution? Commando is an obvious one.

    Commando is the only way! Truly.

    Rich

  14. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Now this is not an expletive this time.
    >
    > If it is not too intimate to reveal what do people do whilst cycling,
    pants
    > wise?
    >
    > After a long ride cotton ones seem so soggy its like wearing a nappy.
    >
    > Is there a more comfy solution? Commando is an obvious one.
    >

    > --
    > Andrew

    On my recent <yawn> E2E, I wore running shorts under lycra leggings, then Ron Hill bikesters on top.
    This was for the first 5 days and was working well apart from a 'scrunching up' effect early on in
    each days ride. This soon passed and was only a minor irritant. On day 6 I decided to try without
    the running shorts....Ouch! received painful chafing and reverted to running shorts the following
    day, no further problems. These are the running shorts that are superlight / almost not there with
    their own built in pants. This was for a hundred mile a day ride for 9 consecutive days though, had
    to make sure it was as comfortable as possible. Ordinarily quite happy to go commando though ;-)
    Cheers, Dave.

  15. wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    >> Not supposed to wear anything underneath lycra cycling shorts (although I don't think you'll get
    >> arrested if you do!).
    >
    > Personally I wear me knickers under me shorts as I find it more comfortable. Vernon goes commando
    > (large weapon - did I say that???) but Nathan is shy and is covered up ;-) Each to what he or she
    > finds most comfortable I think. With the proviso, of course, that b*bs are abhorrant whether
    > commando or otherwise.
    >
    > Cheers, paving slab fairy

    Why are bibbed shorts loathed so much?

    --
    StainlessSteelRat "An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." -- Mohandas Gandhi

  16. wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    >> Why are bibbed shorts loathed so much?
    >
    > Because they are foul objects - spawn of satan - objects designed to make the wearers look like
    > rejects from a Mr Muscle advert, and I just don't like them (mental trauma from seeing a metallic
    > silver Lycra pair for sale). All entirely objective reasons ;-)

    So is wearing them because they feel comfy (and hide my fat stomach) allowed? :)

    I'm a big fan of bibbed shorts, but the Mr. Muscle bits are hidden under T-shirts 'n stuff. Shame I
    can't get a thinner pair as I could hide my fat stomach when I go on dates!

    --
    StainlessSteelRat "The critic is a man who prefers the indolence of opinion to the trials of
    action." -- John Mason Brown

  17. andrew wrote:
    > Now this is not an expletive this time.
    >
    > If it is not too intimate to reveal what do people do whilst cycling, pants wise?
    >
    > After a long ride cotton ones seem so soggy its like wearing a nappy.
    >
    > Is there a more comfy solution? Commando is an obvious one.

    I usually wear the ole pants, although something with a "minimal profile"
    i.e. not boxers. Although recently of late I feel a little castrated by the devils, so I might
    switch to commando.

    --
    StainlessSteelRat Lois Einhorn: Listen pet dick, how you like me to make your life a living hell?
    Ace Ventura: Well I'm not really ready for a relationship Lois, but thank you for asking.

  18. Mal

    Mal Guest

    news:20030426173416.19783[email protected]...
    > >What will you do when Nathan goes through his rebellious stage?
    >
    > Actually, he doesn't like b*bs - I have indoctrinated, sorry, trained him
    well.
    > We mothers are expert at inducing guilt trips - comes with the job
    description
    > ;-)

    Er, at the risk of Christ knows what . . . why on earth would a male choose waisted shorts, other
    than perhaps financial reasons?

    Mal

  19. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 21:20:22 +0100, "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is there a more comfy solution?

    Absolutely. Recument riders have no such problems :-D

    >Commando is an obvious one.

    That is the Approved Method with padded Lycra, especially bibshorts [banking on the
    paving slab fairy not being able to read HTML glyphs]

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  20. "Mal" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Er, at the risk of Christ knows what . . . why on earth would a male choose waisted shorts, other
    > than perhaps financial reasons?

    Nipple chafe? I dunno

    -dan

    --