PC RANT

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Sandy Morton, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. JBB

    JBB Guest

    "John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:49:47 +0100, Tim Hall wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:12:32 +0100, David Martin
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On 30/3/05 6:08 pm, in article [email protected], "wafflycat"

    >>>I seem to have forgotten most of it now, but love watching programs like
    >>>Rough Science..
    >>>

    >> Kathy Sykes does it for me, too......

    > Oooh yes.
    > And they were building rockets tonight (didn't get to see the end).
    > Dare I say it's not rocket science....

    Only the compressed air rocket made it past the testing stages and the egg
    survived the landing only to be splatted on camera to prove it was a fresh
    egg!

    HTH
    Julia

  2. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Ian Smith wrote:
    > My daughter likes Tikkabilla. I haven't a clue what it is (she sees
    > it at teh child-minders).

    It's the current equivalent of Playschool. It even has the square,
    round and arched windows. I'd hazard a guess that Sandy's bikes were to
    have been viewed through one of the windows.

    It's presented by a purple dragon and, among others, the droolworthy
    Sarah Jane Honeywell.

    <URL:http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/tikkabilla/>

  3. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:56:31 +0100 someone who may be Keith
    Willoughby <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >Apparently, there are some people who can actually learn from other
    >people's mistakes, obviating the need to make them themselves.

    I believe it is Napoleon Bonaparte who is credited with saying,
    "only a fool learns from their mistakes. I learn from other people's
    mistakes."

    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  4. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 30/3/05 10:20 pm, in article [email protected], "wafflycat"
    <wafflesATv21netDOTcoDOTuk> wrote:

    > My brother went to the local secondary modern and I still spoke to him, so I
    > can't be *that* snobby ;-)

    My brother went to the local private grammar school[1], I was at the
    (selective) state school the other side of the road.

    Both our schools and the slective girls school, and both local
    comprehensives used to meet on the river, proving that rowing was not
    necessarily a class-based sport[2].

    ...d

    [1] Well, it was called one and it did have an entrance exam. He went
    because he got a full scholarship till sixth form and then an RAF cadetship.

    [2] Due to a bequest from an old boy, the private school had a budget twice
    that of all the other schools put together. Needless to say they also did
    rather well, one of his former crews including a certain James Cracknell.

  5. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:45:12 +0100 someone who may be Brian Wakem
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >>>Electrocution.
    >>>Pupils, teaches, ourselves.
    >>>Inspection of condition prior to setup. RCD.

    >I think I would have answered:-
    >
    >Paper cut from filling in this form.
    >Me.
    >Destroy form.

    I should have thought of that. However, as I was typing into a
    Microshit Word document I didn't think of that. Perhaps next year,
    when I fill in the same form.

    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  6. On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:57:55 +0100, Michael MacClancy
    <[email protected]>:

    >I wonder then why wafflycat included a reference to her grammar school?

    As a personal slight to you, obviously.

    For the record, the best and most eagerly anticipated lesson of the
    year in thousand-year-old-public-school chemistry was the annual
    "explosions and coloured smoke" lesson from Mr Croker. He was a
    superb teacher, sadly I was an appalling pupil...

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  7. On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:21:50 +0100, JLB <[email protected]> wrote
    in message <[email protected]>:

    >I'd have probably got the
    >point just as well if we'd thought about it beforehand and put on
    >suitable face protection.

    If it worked. I know one bloke who had a winchester of conc nitric
    blow up in his face. He retained his face and most of his sight, but
    his full-face shield certainly did not work as advertised.

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  8. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:28:11 +0100, "JBB" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Only the compressed air rocket made it past the testing stages and the egg
    >survived the landing only to be splatted on camera to prove it was a fresh
    >egg!

    Ooooooh! That sentence caused a whooshing big nostalgic flashback.
    Made me remember the Great Egg Race, with Professor Heinz Wolff. I
    loved that when I was a kid, sort of Scrapheap Challange, Rough
    Science and Adam Hart Davis all rolled into one.

    And now writing this message has made me think of the word "boffin",
    which always puts a smile on my face. Crackin' word, boffin.

    --

    "Bob"

    Email address is spam trapped.
    To reply directly remove the beverage.

  9. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Ooooooh! That sentence caused a whooshing big nostalgic flashback.
    > Made me remember the Great Egg Race, with Professor Heinz Wolff. I
    > loved that when I was a kid, sort of Scrapheap Challange, Rough
    > Science and Adam Hart Davis all rolled into one.

    OOOH!!! Prof, Heinz Wolff the *real* mad scientist!! He is *great*. As a kid
    I was *fascinated* by his TV stuff. Heinz Wolff looks like wot a scientist
    should look like - a true boffin indeed. And it seems he is still of this
    planet! See http://www.sfb.co.uk/cgi-bin/profile.cgi?s=81 I was transfixed
    by Young Scientist Of The Year when I was a kid.

    Cheers, helen s

    > And now writing this message has made me think of the word "boffin",
    > which always puts a smile on my face. Crackin' word, boffin.
    >

    > --
    >
    > "Bob"
    >

    > Email address is spam trapped.
    > To reply directly remove the beverage.

  10. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > If it worked.

    Chemistry should work.

    Remember the rules:
    It it wriggles it's biology.
    If it stinks it's chemistry.
    If it doesn't work it's physics.

    Although My A' Level physics teacher /did/, to our great surprise, get a
    practical to work once. It was a demonstration of gravity.

  11. Andy Morris

    Andy Morris Guest

    Michael MacClancy wrote:

    > Similar things happened in my comprehensive school. Indeed, I'm sure
    > the type of school has no relevance. I wonder then why wafflycat
    > included a reference to her grammar school?

    Shes a posh bint, but she hangs round here for a bit of rough?

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

    Love this:

  12. On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:56:23 +0100, Michael MacClancy
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:14:01 +0100, wafflycat wrote:
    >
    >> "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>

    >>> ... and not because you're one of those snooty grammar school snobs? ;-)
    >>>

    >> I do believe you've been watching too much "Tricia", you read into things
    >> what is not there.
    >>

    >Oh, I wouldn't agree with that. The word 'grammar' was there and I assume
    >that it had a purpose. You could have referred to 'school chemistry' or
    >even 'secondary school chemistry', each of which would have been more
    >egalitarian than 'grammar school chemistry'.
    >
    >I only picked up on it because it's not the first time I've noticed this
    >usage of yours.

    Have you tried drinking Banks' Bitter?

    --
    Microsoft Sam speaks his mind:
    www.artybee.net/sam_speaks_his_mind.mp3

  13. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

  14. On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:24:45 +0100, "wafflycat"
    <wafflesATv21netDOTcoDOTuk> wrote:

    >"Andy Morris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Shes a posh bint, but she hangs round here for a bit of rough?
    >>

    >I need a new keyboard ;-)
    >
    >Cheers, helen s

    What on earth are you doing on the net at half past eleven at night.
    Should you not be reading Tolstov, or listening to The Archers in
    Latin or something?

    --

  15. "Andy Morris" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Michael MacClancy wrote:
    >>
    >> Similar things happened in my comprehensive school. Indeed, I'm
    >> sure the type of school has no relevance. I wonder then why
    >> wafflycat included a reference to her grammar school?

    > Shes a posh bint, but she hangs round here for a bit of rough?

    I got the distinct impression a bit of smoooooth was more her thing ;)

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck
    MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/

  16. JLB

    JLB Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:21:50 +0100, JLB <[email protected]> wrote
    > in message <[email protected]>:
    >

    >>I'd have probably got the
    >>point just as well if we'd thought about it beforehand and put on
    >>suitable face protection.

    > If it worked. I know one bloke who had a winchester of conc nitric
    > blow up in his face. He retained his face and most of his sight, but
    > his full-face shield certainly did not work as advertised.

    Fair point. Did it really not do what its specification promised, or
    were excessive demands being made of it? There are plenty of examples of
    unrealistically optimistic beliefs about the performance of PPE; it is
    not only cycle helmets that are treated as talismanic objects rather
    than devices of defined and limited functionality. Ear plugs can only
    reduce noise, not eliminate it; safety glasses are not a complete
    substitute for goggles, and some goggles can take greater impact than
    others; some people apparently imagine a cheap crude dust mask can
    protect at least partially against toxic or suffocating gases; and so on.

    --
    Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

  17. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > What on earth are you doing on the net at half past eleven at night.
    > Should you not be reading Tolstov, or listening to The Archers in
    > Latin or something?

    PAH! That was last night. If I'm restless tonight, it'll be solving the
    grand unifying theory & write it up in mandarin for publication ;-)

    Cheers, posh bint.

    > --
    > Microsoft Sam speaks his mind:
    > www.artybee.net/sam_speaks_his_mind.mp3

  18. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Chris Eilbeck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I got the distinct impression a bit of smoooooth was more her thing ;)

    Certainly as regards the leg of the male cyclist!

    > Chris

    And being a grammar snob, I'd have had you to Mars already me laddo ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

    > --
    > Chris Eilbeck
    > MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/
    > UKRA #1108 Level 2 UYB
    > Tripoli UK Member #9527 LSMR

  19. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:05:47 +0100, wafflycat wrote:

    > "John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]
    >>> Kathy Sykes does it for me, too......

    >> Oooh yes.
    >> And they were building rockets tonight (didn't get to see the end).
    >> Dare I say it's not rocket science....
    >>

    > There's something deeply Freudian going on here ;-)

    Freudian nothing.
    You stick with Heinz Wolff in his bow tie.
    We'll stick with Kathy Sykes in a T-shirt and shorts.

  20. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > Freudian nothing.
    > You stick with Heinz Wolff in his bow tie.
    > We'll stick with Kathy Sykes in a T-shirt and shorts.

    Somehow I don't think I view Heinz Wolff with anything like the degree of
    lust you lot have towards Ms Sykes ;-)

    Cheers, helen s