Peak Power Output (PPO) Determination

objective

Jul 5, 2005
I'm a CyclingPeaks user and would like to know if there is a way to determin PPO without having to perform a test.

objective said:
I'm a CyclingPeaks user and would like to know if there is a way to determin PPO without having to perform a test.

What do you mean by peak power? Some people use the term peak to define the highest power recorded in a (e.g.) 5-sec sprint test, while others may use the term to define the end result of (e.g.) a MAP test.

Ric

ric_stern/RST said:
What do you mean by peak power? Some people use the term peak to define the highest power recorded in a (e.g.) 5-sec sprint test, while others may use the term to define the end result of (e.g.) a MAP test.

Ric
I'm interested in PPO in the context of 30 sec. micro intervals.

objective said:
I'm interested in PPO in the context of 30 sec. micro intervals.

micro intervals are shorter than 30-secs. Usually between 10 and 15-secs long.
The way i prescribe these intervals is that the 'on' portion is at ~ MAP (or a little higher ~105%). I don't know at what 'on' power Andy would prescribe his? For mine, if you're going to do them at MAP you'd need to know MAP

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
The way i prescribe these intervals is that the 'on' portion is at ~ MAP (or a little higher ~105%). I don't know at what 'on' power Andy would prescribe his?

I don't prescribe them for anyone, I just do them now and again for fun.

objective said:

In a word, no.

Here, BTW, is how Stepto et al. (one of the studies heavily referenced in the 30 s interval thread that I assume has you interested in this question) describe their protocol:

"...each cyclist returned to the laboratory and performed an incremental exercise test to exhaustion on the Lode cycle ergometer, as previously described (9). Briefly, this test commenced at a starting load of 3.3 W·kg-1. This load was maintained for 150 s, then increased first by 50 W, then 25 W every 150 s until the cyclist was exhausted. Exhaustion was defined as a drop in the pedaling rate of > 10 rev·min-1 and/or a rise in respiratory exchange ratio (RER) of >1.1. Peak sustained power output (PP) was defined as the last completed work rate in W plus the fraction of time spent in the final noncompleted work rate multiplied by 25 W."

acoggan said:
In a word, no.

Here, BTW, is how Stepto et al. (one of the studies heavily referenced in the 30 s interval thread that I assume has you interested in this question) describe their protocol:
Ah, okay.

acoggan said:
"...each cyclist returned to the laboratory and performed an incremental exercise test to exhaustion on the Lode cycle ergometer, as previously described (9). Briefly, this test commenced at a starting load of 3.3 W·kg-1. This load was maintained for 150 s, then increased first by 50 W, then 25 W every 150 s until the cyclist was exhausted. Exhaustion was defined as a drop in the pedaling rate of > 10 rev·min-1 and/or a rise in respiratory exchange ratio (RER) of >1.1. Peak sustained power output (PP) was defined as the last completed work rate in W plus the fraction of time spent in the final noncompleted work rate multiplied by 25 W."
Cheers!

ric_stern/RST said:
I meant how you would prescribe them for yourself.

Here's my almost entirely unscientific way of picking the power for the 'on' periods:

1) I pick the average power I want to/know I can maintain
2) I multiply the above by 2
3) I subtract 150

Why do I do it this way? Because I know that my physiological responses, perception of effort, etc., are determined almost entirely by the average power, and that the Velodyne can't lower/control the power below about 150 W if you've got the wheel turning at ~25 mph, which is where I like to keep it to better match the inertial load to outdoor riding conditions.

What the above means is that the highest power I usually use during the 'on' periods is only 450 W, or about 150% of my functional threshold power. However, I have done a workout or two during which I kept the bike in the small chainring, which allowed me to cycle the power between 50 and 500 W.

Next time I'm just not going to pedal during the off periods, which is actually how the original studies were done...

Cool. From MAP, one would use 175%...which is a tough 30 seconds! Or around 200% FT for those working from FT.