pedal bearings -- standard or not?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dvt, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Dvt

    Dvt Guest

    I'd like to know if there is a standard setup for ball bearings in a pedal. A de facto standard
    exists for the sizes and number of balls in wheels and bottom brackets, and I hope the same exists
    for pedals.

    Here's my story. I opened up a long-forgotten cage pedal last night. It was used long and hard from
    about 1992 to 1998, and I maintained it not. The grease was all gone and when I loosened the cones,
    1/8" balls spilled out everywhere. I counted a total of 23, but I may have lost a few of those tiny
    balls. And the two sides of the pedal don't appear symmetric, so I don't know how many of those
    balls go in each side.

    In case it matters, it's a Sakae Low Fat MTP-129 pedal. If all else fails, I can try to be
    extremely careful with the second pedal and count the bearings as they come out. Thanks for your
    help on this oddity.

    Dave dvt at psu dot edu

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, "dvt" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I'd like to know if there is a standard setup for ball bearings in a pedal.

    Forgive me if I'm oversimplifying things, but:

    Isn't the standard means of determining the correct number of ball bearings simply to fill the
    available space and then to remove one bearing?

    Art

  3. I don't believe there is a 'standard' for pedal bearings, just as there is no 'standard' for pedals.

    The easy, and correct, way to figure out the number of ball bearings used (assuming you have the
    correct size) is to put balls in the race until it is filled, then remove one ball.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:41:01 -0500, dvt wrote:

    > I'd like to know if there is a standard setup for ball bearings in a pedal. A de facto standard
    > exists for the sizes and number of balls in wheels and bottom brackets, and I hope the same exists
    > for pedals.

    Does there? I have two rear wheels. They use different numbers of different-sized bearings (Campy
    Chorus and Campy Record). Shimano front hubs use different size (# I can't recall) from Campy. No
    real standard there. For loose cup&cone bottom brackets the 11-ball 1/4" is kind of determined by
    the shell size -- except maybe for larger axles.

    Campy pedals used to use 5/32 balls -- and a lot of them. Cheapies used
    1/8.

    > Here's my story. I opened up a long-forgotten cage pedal last night. It was used long and hard
    > from about 1992 to 1998, and I maintained it not. The grease was all gone and when I loosened the
    > cones, 1/8" balls spilled out everywhere. I counted a total of 23, but I may have lost a few of
    > those tiny balls. And the two sides of the pedal don't appear symmetric, so I don't know how many
    > of those balls go in each side.

    No, they are not the same.

    > In case it matters, it's a Sakae Low Fat MTP-129 pedal. If all else fails, I can try to be
    > extremely careful with the second pedal and count the bearings as they come out. Thanks for your
    > help on this oddity.

    Why don't you get new bearings, and some grease, and try to pack the balls in there. You want as
    many as the race will hold without binding. Simple as that.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a _`\(,_ | conclusion. --
    George Bernard Shaw (_)/ (_) |