Perhaps someone should tell "BICYCLING" mag's "Style Man" about this...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Garrison Hillia, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    WTF indeed. I ride more than 5K miles/year (and more than that this year) on a steel bike priced
    like titanium and gold that I bought just so that I don't need to BUY BUY BUY bike specific rags.

    Bike retailers' biggest enemy is their marketing philosophy.

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/special_events/cycling/newsid_30300
    > 00/3030160.stm
    >

    > "If you ride more than a couple of miles a day and have a high-performance racing or mountain
    > bike, then it's worth forking out the extra cash for
    the
    > proper gear."
    >
    > WTF?!?
    >

    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

  2. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    Does anybody who's ridden for any amount of time still read BuyCycling for Whitey magazine?

    --
    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace When this load is DONE I think I'll wash
    it AGAIN ...

  3. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Now there's a subtle way to introduce race into the non-issue. Are you Nigerian?

    "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anybody who's ridden for any amount of time still read BuyCycling for Whitey magazine?
    >

    > --
    > http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace When this load is DONE I think I'll wash it
    > AGAIN ...
    > 1:14:21 PM 16 July 2003

  4. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:46:27 -0400, "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]bellsouth.net> from wrote:

    >Now there's a subtle way to introduce race into the non-issue. Are you Nigerian?

    On the contrary. Look through BuyCycling magazine and see how many non-white people you see, then
    look up from the magazine and see how many you see in the real world. BuyCycling, indeed Rodale in
    general in all of their publications, seem to go out of their way to exclude minorities. Recently,
    the only black people I've seen in the magazine have been in ads for charity bike rides. Asians?
    Hispanics? Forget it.

    --
    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace Sign my PETITION.
    8:55:25 PM 16 July 2003

  5. Goldenboy

    Goldenboy New Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2003
    "On the contrary. Look through BuyCycling magazine and see how many non-white people you see, then
    look up from the magazine and see how many you see in the real world."

    Maybe there are few in the magazine, but when I look up, I don't see everyone riding bikes. -- When I do go to my weekend rides, I see very FEW non-whites on bikes.
    Maybe YOU should encourage more minorities to ride bikes.
    I have NEVER thought about it on rides before but thanks to you, race has again become a topic. Maybe if people such as yourself weren't always making it an issue -- it wouldn't be an issue.

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/special_events/cycling/newsid_30300
    > > 00/3030160.stm "If you ride more than a couple of miles a day and have a
    high-performance
    > > racing or mountain bike, then it's worth forking out the extra cash for
    > the
    > > proper gear."

    > "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> perspicacious as always, wrote in
    message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > WTF?!?

    "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > WTF indeed. I ride more than 5K miles/year (and more than that this year) on a steel bike priced
    > like titanium and gold that I bought just so that I don't need to BUY BUY BUY bike specific rags.
    >
    > Bike retailers' biggest enemy is their marketing philosophy.

    _OUR_ 'marketing philosophy'??? WTF?!?

  7. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:

    > >Now there's a subtle way to introduce race into the non-issue. Are you Nigerian?
    >
    > On the contrary. Look through BuyCycling magazine and see how many non-white people you see, then
    > look up from the magazine and see how many you see in the real world. BuyCycling, indeed Rodale in
    > general in all of their publications, seem to go out of their way to exclude minorities. Recently,
    > the only black people I've seen in the magazine have been in ads for charity bike rides. Asians?
    > Hispanics? Forget it.

    Actually, the more serious problem is that Bicycling is now more about selling cars than bikes.
    Count up how many full page ads they run, at around $25,000 each, for cars and trucks, relative to
    bikes, bike gear and bicycle advocacy.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

  8. > Actually, the more serious problem is that Bicycling is now more about selling cars than bikes.
    > Count up how many full page ads they run, at around $25,000 each, for cars and trucks, relative to
    > bikes, bike gear and bicycle advocacy.

    Yeah they could at least run a full page B&W add for LAB.

  9. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:
    > > >Now there's a subtle way to introduce race into the non-issue. Are you Nigerian?
    > > On the contrary. Look through BuyCycling magazine and see how many
    non-white
    > > people you see, then look up from the magazine and see how many you see
    in
    > > the real world. BuyCycling, indeed Rodale in general in all of their publications, seem to go
    > > out of their way to exclude minorities. Recently, the only
    black
    > > people I've seen in the magazine have been in ads for charity bike
    rides.
    > > Asians? Hispanics? Forget it.

    "Ted Bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Actually, the more serious problem is that Bicycling is now more about selling cars than bikes.
    > Count up how many full page ads they run, at around $25,000 each, for cars and trucks, relative to
    > bikes, bike gear and bicycle advocacy.

    For an eye opening experience with Buycycling's advertising structure, page through a subscription
    copy and a bike shop copy together. Thye used to get hate mail from dealers about the deep
    discount ads, being on the rack right in the bike shop. Now LBS copies just show 'filler' ads .
    Problem solved.

  10. On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:14:55 -0500, Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:

    >Does anybody who's ridden for any amount of time still read BuyCycling for Whitey magazine?

    Does anybody who's ridden for any amount of time know how your message ties into the BBC
    site I posted?

  11. On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:56:17 -0500, Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:

    >Asians?

    In almost every issue... Nelson Lu, one of their bike reviewers, is of Asian heritage.

  12. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:31:12 +0000, Garrison Hilliard <[email protected]> from Oregon Public
    Networking wrote:

    >On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:14:55 -0500, Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:
    >
    >>Does anybody who's ridden for any amount of time still read BuyCycling for Whitey magazine?
    >
    >Does anybody who's ridden for any amount of time know how your message ties into the BBC site
    >I posted?

    Does it have to?
    --
    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace The PINK SOCKS were ORIGINALLY from 1952!!
    But they went to MARS around 1953!!

  13. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    "Doug Huffman" > Now there's a subtle way to introduce race into the non-issue. Are you
    > Nigerian?

    Doug, he's still smarting because last year he wrote a rant to and about Bicycling Magazine
    demanding they put a dark-skinned rider on their February issue because it is Black History month in
    the U.S. They ignored him and that hurt his ego big time.

    Pat in TX

  14. Slider2699

    Slider2699 Guest

    "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:46:27 -0400, "Doug Huffman"
    <[email protected]> from
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Now there's a subtle way to introduce race into the non-issue. Are you Nigerian?
    >
    > On the contrary. Look through BuyCycling magazine and see how many
    non-white
    > people you see, then look up from the magazine and see how many you see in
    the
    > real world. BuyCycling, indeed Rodale in general in all of their
    publications,
    > seem to go out of their way to exclude minorities. Recently, the only
    black
    > people I've seen in the magazine have been in ads for charity bike rides. Asians? Hispanics?
    > Forget it.

    They are aiming for their target demographic. Recreational and competitive cycling are, to use your
    term, "Whitey" sports. I've done several charity rides and have never seen an African-American.
    Never. The only African-Americans I see riding bikes are riding Wal-Mart specials. If you want to
    see Latinos and African-Americans in a bicycling magazine, buy "Lowrider Bicycle". Believe me, if
    there were lots of African-American and Latino recreational cyclists, they would be targeted. Money
    is green, no matter from whom it comes, Kevvie.

  15. R.White

    R.White Guest

    Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:
    >
    > > >Now there's a subtle way to introduce race into the non-issue. Are you Nigerian?
    > >
    > > On the contrary. Look through BuyCycling magazine and see how many non-white people you see,
    > > then look up from the magazine and see how many you see in the real world. BuyCycling, indeed
    > > Rodale in general in all of their publications, seem to go out of their way to exclude
    > > minorities. Recently, the only black people I've seen in the magazine have been in ads for
    > > charity bike rides. Asians? Hispanics? Forget it.
    >
    > Actually, the more serious problem is that Bicycling is now more about selling cars than bikes.
    > Count up how many full page ads they run, at around $25,000 each, for cars and trucks, relative to
    > bikes, bike gear and bicycle advocacy.

    That's why I quit buying Autoweek and started buying BuyCycling. I love seeing the new cars.

  16. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:58:53 GMT, "Slider2699" <[email protected]> from RoadRunner - Tampa
    Bay wrote:

    >They are aiming for their target demographic. Recreational and competitive cycling are, to use your
    >term, "Whitey" sports. I've done several charity rides and have never seen an African-American.
    >Never. The only African-Americans I see riding bikes are riding Wal-Mart specials.

    Imagine what it would do for LBSes if BuyCycling broadened their target market to ALL cyclists
    instead of a monied, white elite. Imagine what it would do for the sport. At the very least,
    Bicycling should change its name to Expensive Bicycling or something.

    --
    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I left my WALLET in the BATHROOM!!
    10:33:53 AM 18 July 2003

  17. Slider2699

    Slider2699 Guest

    "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:58:53 GMT, "Slider2699" <[email protected]> from RoadRunner - Tampa
    > Bay wrote:
    >
    > >They are aiming for their target demographic. Recreational and
    competitive
    > >cycling are, to use your term, "Whitey" sports. I've done several charity rides and have never
    > >seen an African-American. Never. The only African-Americans I see riding bikes are riding
    > >Wal-Mart specials.
    >
    > Imagine what it would do for LBSes if BuyCycling broadened their target
    market
    > to ALL cyclists instead of a monied, white elite. Imagine what it would do
    for
    > the sport. At the very least, Bicycling should change its name to
    Expensive
    > Bicycling or something.

    But people who buy bikes as cheap transportation don't spend money on cycling. Guys on DUI specials
    don't buy Castelli shorts, or fancy Giro helmets. They also don't care about training tips, or
    nutrition tips, or articles on cycling destinations. The people who currently read Bicycling
    do. Hence, the preponderance of monied white people in Bicycling. As I stated before, if you want to
    see minorities in a bicycle-oriented magazine, read "Lowrider Bicycle".

  18. H. Guy

    H. Guy Guest

    > >They are aiming for their target demographic. Recreational and competitive cycling are, to use
    > >your term, "Whitey" sports. I've done several charity rides and have never seen an
    > >African-American. Never. The only African-Americans I see riding bikes are riding Wal-Mart
    > >specials.

    that's 100% contrary to my experience in d.c. i'd say half of the people i see, regardless of race,
    are on their wal-mart specials. titanium isn't just the white man's (financial) burden. i've no
    doubt that tampa is a different world.

    > Imagine what it would do for LBSes if BuyCycling broadened their target market to ALL cyclists
    > instead of a monied, white elite. Imagine what it would do for the sport. At the very least,
    > Bicycling should change its name to Expensive Bicycling or something.

    they've leaned that way for at least the last 15 years. it's the unobtanium frame that gets the
    enthusiast drooling, so that's naturally what they feature. but they should feature at least one
    bike a month for the population that can't drop $3K on a bike.