Perhaps someone should tell "BICYCLING" mag's "Style Man" about this...

WTF indeed. I ride more than 5K miles/year (and more than that this year) on a steel bike priced
like titanium and gold that I bought just so that I don't need to BUY BUY BUY bike specific rags.

Bike retailers' biggest enemy is their marketing philosophy.

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/special_events/cycling/newsid_30300
> 00/3030160.stm
>

> "If you ride more than a couple of miles a day and have a high-performance racing or mountain
> bike, then it's worth forking out the extra cash for
the
> proper gear."
>
> WTF?!?
>

> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Does anybody who's ridden for any amount of time still read BuyCycling for Whitey magazine?

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace When this load is DONE I think I'll wash
it AGAIN ...

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:46:27 -0400, "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> from wrote:

>Now there's a subtle way to introduce race into the non-issue. Are you Nigerian?

On the contrary. Look through BuyCycling magazine and see how many non-white people you see, then
look up from the magazine and see how many you see in the real world. BuyCycling, indeed Rodale in
general in all of their publications, seem to go out of their way to exclude minorities. Recently,
the only black people I've seen in the magazine have been in ads for charity bike rides. Asians?
Hispanics? Forget it.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace Sign my PETITION.
8:55:25 PM 16 July 2003

"On the contrary. Look through BuyCycling magazine and see how many non-white people you see, then
look up from the magazine and see how many you see in the real world."

Maybe there are few in the magazine, but when I look up, I don't see everyone riding bikes. -- When I do go to my weekend rides, I see very FEW non-whites on bikes.
Maybe YOU should encourage more minorities to ride bikes.
I have NEVER thought about it on rides before but thanks to you, race has again become a topic. Maybe if people such as yourself weren't always making it an issue -- it wouldn't be an issue.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/special_events/cycling/newsid_30300
> > 00/3030160.stm "If you ride more than a couple of miles a day and have a
high-performance
> > racing or mountain bike, then it's worth forking out the extra cash for
> the
> > proper gear."

> "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> perspicacious as always, wrote in
message
> news:[email protected]...
> > WTF?!?

"Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> WTF indeed. I ride more than 5K miles/year (and more than that this year) on a steel bike priced
> like titanium and gold that I bought just so that I don't need to BUY BUY BUY bike specific rags.
>
> Bike retailers' biggest enemy is their marketing philosophy.

_OUR_ 'marketing philosophy'??? WTF?!?

Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:

> >Now there's a subtle way to introduce race into the non-issue. Are you Nigerian?
>
> On the contrary. Look through BuyCycling magazine and see how many non-white people you see, then
> look up from the magazine and see how many you see in the real world. BuyCycling, indeed Rodale in
> general in all of their publications, seem to go out of their way to exclude minorities. Recently,
> the only black people I've seen in the magazine have been in ads for charity bike rides. Asians?
> Hispanics? Forget it.

Actually, the more serious problem is that Bicycling is now more about selling cars than bikes.
Count up how many full page ads they run, at around $25,000 each, for cars and trucks, relative to
bikes, bike gear and bicycle advocacy.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

> Actually, the more serious problem is that Bicycling is now more about selling cars than bikes.
> Count up how many full page ads they run, at around $25,000 each, for cars and trucks, relative to
> bikes, bike gear and bicycle advocacy.

Yeah they could at least run a full page B&W add for LAB.

> Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:
> > >Now there's a subtle way to introduce race into the non-issue. Are you Nigerian?
> > On the contrary. Look through BuyCycling magazine and see how many
non-white
> > people you see, then look up from the magazine and see how many you see
in
> > the real world. BuyCycling, indeed Rodale in general in all of their publications, seem to go
> > out of their way to exclude minorities. Recently, the only
black
> > people I've seen in the magazine have been in ads for charity bike
rides.
> > Asians? Hispanics? Forget it.

"Ted Bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Actually, the more serious problem is that Bicycling is now more about selling cars than bikes.
> Count up how many full page ads they run, at around $25,000 each, for cars and trucks, relative to
> bikes, bike gear and bicycle advocacy.

For an eye opening experience with Buycycling's advertising structure, page through a subscription
copy and a bike shop copy together. Thye used to get hate mail from dealers about the deep
discount ads, being on the rack right in the bike shop. Now LBS copies just show 'filler' ads .
Problem solved.

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:14:55 -0500, Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:

>Does anybody who's ridden for any amount of time still read BuyCycling for Whitey magazine?

Does anybody who's ridden for any amount of time know how your message ties into the BBC
site I posted?

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:56:17 -0500, Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:

>Asians?

In almost every issue... Nelson Lu, one of their bike reviewers, is of Asian heritage.

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:31:12 +0000, Garrison Hilliard <[email protected]> from Oregon Public
Networking wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:14:55 -0500, Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:
>
>>Does anybody who's ridden for any amount of time still read BuyCycling for Whitey magazine?
>
>Does anybody who's ridden for any amount of time know how your message ties into the BBC site
>I posted?

Does it have to?
--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace The PINK SOCKS were ORIGINALLY from 1952!!
But they went to MARS around 1953!!

x-no-archive:yes

"Doug Huffman" > Now there's a subtle way to introduce race into the non-issue. Are you
> Nigerian?

Doug, he's still smarting because last year he wrote a rant to and about Bicycling Magazine
demanding they put a dark-skinned rider on their February issue because it is Black History month in
the U.S. They ignored him and that hurt his ego big time.

Pat in TX

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:46:27 -0400, "Doug Huffman"
<[email protected]> from
> wrote:
>
> >Now there's a subtle way to introduce race into the non-issue. Are you Nigerian?
>
> On the contrary. Look through BuyCycling magazine and see how many
non-white
> people you see, then look up from the magazine and see how many you see in
the
> real world. BuyCycling, indeed Rodale in general in all of their
publications,
> seem to go out of their way to exclude minorities. Recently, the only
black
> people I've seen in the magazine have been in ads for charity bike rides. Asians? Hispanics?
> Forget it.

They are aiming for their target demographic. Recreational and competitive cycling are, to use your
term, "Whitey" sports. I've done several charity rides and have never seen an African-American.
Never. The only African-Americans I see riding bikes are riding Wal-Mart specials. If you want to
see Latinos and African-Americans in a bicycling magazine, buy "Lowrider Bicycle". Believe me, if
there were lots of African-American and Latino recreational cyclists, they would be targeted. Money
is green, no matter from whom it comes, Kevvie.

Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:
>
> > >Now there's a subtle way to introduce race into the non-issue. Are you Nigerian?
> >
> > On the contrary. Look through BuyCycling magazine and see how many non-white people you see,
> > then look up from the magazine and see how many you see in the real world. BuyCycling, indeed
> > Rodale in general in all of their publications, seem to go out of their way to exclude
> > minorities. Recently, the only black people I've seen in the magazine have been in ads for
> > charity bike rides. Asians? Hispanics? Forget it.
>
> Actually, the more serious problem is that Bicycling is now more about selling cars than bikes.
> Count up how many full page ads they run, at around $25,000 each, for cars and trucks, relative to
> bikes, bike gear and bicycle advocacy.

That's why I quit buying Autoweek and started buying BuyCycling. I love seeing the new cars.

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:58:53 GMT, "Slider2699" <[email protected]> from RoadRunner - Tampa
Bay wrote:

>They are aiming for their target demographic. Recreational and competitive cycling are, to use your
>term, "Whitey" sports. I've done several charity rides and have never seen an African-American.
>Never. The only African-Americans I see riding bikes are riding Wal-Mart specials.

Imagine what it would do for LBSes if BuyCycling broadened their target market to ALL cyclists
instead of a monied, white elite. Imagine what it would do for the sport. At the very least,
Bicycling should change its name to Expensive Bicycling or something.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I left my WALLET in the BATHROOM!!
10:33:53 AM 18 July 2003

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:58:53 GMT, "Slider2699" <[email protected]> from RoadRunner - Tampa
> Bay wrote:
>
> >They are aiming for their target demographic. Recreational and
competitive
> >cycling are, to use your term, "Whitey" sports. I've done several charity rides and have never
> >seen an African-American. Never. The only African-Americans I see riding bikes are riding
> >Wal-Mart specials.
>
> Imagine what it would do for LBSes if BuyCycling broadened their target
market
> to ALL cyclists instead of a monied, white elite. Imagine what it would do
for
> the sport. At the very least, Bicycling should change its name to
Expensive
> Bicycling or something.

But people who buy bikes as cheap transportation don't spend money on cycling. Guys on DUI specials
don't buy Castelli shorts, or fancy Giro helmets. They also don't care about training tips, or
nutrition tips, or articles on cycling destinations. The people who currently read Bicycling
do. Hence, the preponderance of monied white people in Bicycling. As I stated before, if you want to
see minorities in a bicycle-oriented magazine, read "Lowrider Bicycle".

> >They are aiming for their target demographic. Recreational and competitive cycling are, to use
> >your term, "Whitey" sports. I've done several charity rides and have never seen an
> >African-American. Never. The only African-Americans I see riding bikes are riding Wal-Mart
> >specials.

that's 100% contrary to my experience in d.c. i'd say half of the people i see, regardless of race,
are on their wal-mart specials. titanium isn't just the white man's (financial) burden. i've no
doubt that tampa is a different world.

> Imagine what it would do for LBSes if BuyCycling broadened their target market to ALL cyclists
> instead of a monied, white elite. Imagine what it would do for the sport. At the very least,
> Bicycling should change its name to Expensive Bicycling or something.

they've leaned that way for at least the last 15 years. it's the unobtanium frame that gets the
enthusiast drooling, so that's naturally what they feature. but they should feature at least one
bike a month for the population that can't drop $3K on a bike.