Perth Freeway Bike Hike

bjay wrote:

> "Tamyka Bell" wrote
>
> > Is CF so fragile? For half/ironman we need stickers on our bikes and
> > it's really not an issue at all. Oh, except for finding space around all
> > the bidon cages (esp behind the seat), the gu flask and bento box on the
> > top tube, the aeros and computer...

> No, CF isn't so fragile, but I am! It's my baby, how could I possibly do
> anything to it that might hurt it? Bikes have feelings too!!
>
> Bjay

Point taken. I was a bit concerned too, until I saw people with bikes
that cost about 5x mine stickering with no worries

byron27 wrote:

> Duncan Farrow Wrote:
>

>>I'll be taking my steel-is-real yellow Cinelli.
>>
>>Duncan.

> Duncan, you dont ride down the Kwinana freeway bike path down near
> rowley rd, etc do you??. I also have a yellow steel framed proxima
> cinelli and always remember seeing someone else with the exact same
> frame.

Umm, not sure - how far down is Rowley Rd? I used to regularly go
for a ride down the freeway south of Farrington St, turn around after
about 10km (at one of the underpasses - can't remember which road it
is) then head home. This gave me a 30km ride before work.

I've not done this ride for a while as the entry from Farrington Rd has
been shut. I don't remember seeing anyone with the same frame as mine,
at least not a yellow one but there you go, it's a small world.

Someone has planted the seed of doing the Freeway ride on the fixie -
could happen...

Duncan.

Duncan Farrow <[email protected]> wrote in news:d1das2$a96$1
@enyo.uwa.edu.au:

> Not only that, I don't want to put
> a sticker on the tube (as someone else said).

How about wrapping glad wrap round the frame and sticking the sticker to
that?

Graeme

Graeme wrote:

> Duncan Farrow <[email protected]> wrote in news:d1das2$a96$1
> @enyo.uwa.edu.au:
>
> > Not only that, I don't want to put
> > a sticker on the tube (as someone else said).

> How about wrapping glad wrap round the frame and sticking the sticker to
> that?
>
> Graeme

Or only peeling back the very edges, like how they put stickers on your
baggage at airports

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> Graeme wrote:
>
>>Duncan Farrow <[email protected]> wrote in news:d1das2$a96$1
>>@enyo.uwa.edu.au:
>>

>>> Not only that, I don't want to put
>>>a sticker on the tube (as someone else said).

>>How about wrapping glad wrap round the frame and sticking the sticker to
>>that?
>>
>>Graeme

> Or only peeling back the very edges, like how they put stickers on your
> baggage at airports

All very good ideas. I like the glad wrap idea but I'm a bit worried
about it falling off in transit (not that that would matter after the
ride starts). I also thought of using a couple of zip ties around it to
hold it in place. Those things seem to be able to hold anything down!

A solution will emerge before Sunday...

D.

Duncan Farrow <[email protected]> wrote in news:d1djes$dp9$1
@enyo.uwa.edu.au:

> I like the glad wrap idea but I'm a bit worried
> about it falling off in transit

It should be alright if you use the sticker to stick down the end of the
glad wrap.

Graeme

bjay wrote:
> "Tamyka Bell" wrote
>>Is CF so fragile? For half/ironman we need stickers on our bikes and
>>it's really not an issue at all. Oh, except for finding space around all
>>the bidon cages (esp behind the seat), the gu flask and bento box on the
>>top tube, the aeros and computer...

> No, CF isn't so fragile, but I am! It's my baby, how could I possibly do
> anything to it that might hurt it? Bikes have feelings too!!

I think of it like this: I sit on it... a sticker would be nothing in
comparison!!

hippy ;)

bjay wrote:
> "Tamyka Bell" wrote
>

>>Is CF so fragile? For half/ironman we need stickers on our bikes and
>>it's really not an issue at all. Oh, except for finding space around all
>>the bidon cages (esp behind the seat), the gu flask and bento box on the
>>top tube, the aeros and computer...

> No, CF isn't so fragile, but I am! It's my baby, how could I possibly do
> anything to it that might hurt it? Bikes have feelings too!!
>
> Bjay

One of the local triathletes broke a rear stay on her bike when she was
getting out of the back of a ute. "I have / had a Trek 5200 frame and it
is not even 12 months old! The back stay on the sprocket side just
cracked before my eyes!"

I regard CF frames with suspicion. Mind you, my CF kayak gets a
hammering without too many problems. Must be to do with the way it's
made. Also my kayak has layers of Kevlar too.

Marty

Marty <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Mind you, my CF kayak gets a
> hammering without too many problems. Must be to do with the way it's
> made. Also my kayak has layers of Kevlar too.

Reminds me of the time when I was playing canoe polo in my tub of a plastic
polo boat. One of the opposing team was paddling a brand spanking new
carbon-kevlar polo boat. I was charging up the pool at a fair old rate (and
a fair bit of momentum thanks to the heavy boat) when she decided to block
me by turning the nose of her boat just as I went past. The crunch it made
was rather sickening but it didn't seem any the worse for it.

She threw a major strop as "I" has damaged her nice new toy and she ended
up complaining to the referee that plastic boats should not be allowed at
that level of competition :)

Graeme

bjay wrote:

> Yep, thought I would do it for the novelty factor. I am fortunate to not
> have to worry about the logistics of getting too\from the start\finish as I
> live north so it will just be a loop for me. Don't know about putting their
> sticker on my CF frame though!?
>
> Bjay

Just use the trick we used on the cars for Classic Rally: Cover the
tube of the frame in a thin layer of car polish, but don't fully wipe it
off and apply the sticker straight over the top. That way, removal
won't take everything underneath with it.

--
Brett

It's the night before the freeway bike hike. Bikes ready, water bottles filled etc. I feel like ****. I have a cold - runny or clogged nose, sore throat, sweats, sore joints, fever.

So psuedo ephedrine, paracetemol, here I come. If they do urine tests I'm sunk :eek:

Bib number G9053 - if you see me come up and say hello.

SteveA

SteveA wrote:
> It's the night before the freeway bike hike. Bikes ready, water bottles
> filled etc. I feel like ****. I have a cold - runny or clogged nose,
> sore throat, sweats, sore joints, fever.
>
> So psuedo ephedrine, paracetemol, here I come. If they do urine tests
> I'm sunk :eek:

AFAIK psuedoephedrine isn't banned any more.. pill it up! :p

Have fun..

hippy

> Point taken. I was a bit concerned too, until I saw people with bikes
> that cost about 5x mine stickering with no worries

Having read this thread after putting the sticker on my cf frame (and
after the ride), I started to worry. I ran to my bike with visions of
the frame twisting and cracking as I pulled the sticker off. It came
off easy peasy (lemon squeezy).

By the way I thought the ride was great fun. On the way back on the
path along the freeway I was surprised at how **** some of the
sections of bike path were.

Lanterne Rouge wrote:
>>Point taken. I was a bit concerned too, until I saw people with bikes
>>that cost about 5x mine stickering with no worries

> Having read this thread after putting the sticker on my cf frame (and
> after the ride), I started to worry. I ran to my bike with visions of
> the frame twisting and cracking as I pulled the sticker off. It came
> off easy peasy (lemon squeezy).
>
> By the way I thought the ride was great fun. On the way back on the
> path along the freeway I was surprised at how **** some of the
> sections of bike path were.

I totally agree. The one good thing about living south of the river is
that the freeway cycle path is at least all on the same side of the
freeway... When the South Street and Leach Highway underpasses are
built and Mt Henry Bridge is finished, we will only have one cross road
between Safety Bay Road and the city!

--
Brett

On 2005-03-20 16:03:33 +1000, hippy <[email protected]> said:

> SteveA wrote:
>> It's the night before the freeway bike hike. Bikes ready, water bottles
>> filled etc. I feel like ****. I have a cold - runny or clogged nose,
>> sore throat, sweats, sore joints, fever.
>>
>> So psuedo ephedrine, paracetemol, here I come. If they do urine tests
>> I'm sunk :eek:

> AFAIK psuedoephedrine isn't banned any more.. pill it up! :p
>
> Have fun..
>
> hippy

Yes, but you really shouldn?t exercise while viraemic for risk of viral
myocarditis.

AB

Andrew Bell wrote:

> On 2005-03-20 16:03:33 +1000, hippy <[email protected]> said:
>
> > SteveA wrote:
> >> It's the night before the freeway bike hike. Bikes ready, water bottles
> >> filled etc. I feel like ****. I have a cold - runny or clogged nose,
> >> sore throat, sweats, sore joints, fever.
> >>
> >> So psuedo ephedrine, paracetemol, here I come. If they do urine tests
> >> I'm sunk :eek:

> > AFAIK psuedoephedrine isn't banned any more.. pill it up! :p
> >
> > Have fun..
> >
> > hippy

> Yes, but you really shouldn?t exercise while viraemic for risk of viral
> myocarditis.
>
> AB

I've been told by several docs that it's fine to do light exercise as
long as it's not a chest infection. It helps clear up sinus probs, etc.
However sweats/fever means your thermoregulation won't be crash hot
therefore more likely to suffer heat illnesses.

Andrew Bell wrote:
> Yes, but you really shouldn?t exercise while viraemic for risk of viral
> myocarditis.

What's that mean in english?

hippy ;)

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> I've been told by several docs that it's fine to do light exercise as
> long as it's not a chest infection. It helps clear up sinus probs, etc.
> However sweats/fever means your thermoregulation won't be crash hot
> therefore more likely to suffer heat illnesses.

"Serious Cycling" by Ed. Burke has an article about exercising when ill
within it. I think he says something along the lines of "exercise when
the symptoms are above the neck is ok (runny nose, etc), but when
symptoms are below the neck (muscle pains?), rest up".
I can't dig the book out any more to quote it because it's in storage now :(

hippy

hippy said:
Tamyka Bell wrote:
> I've been told by several docs that it's fine to do light exercise as
> long as it's not a chest infection. It helps clear up sinus probs, etc.
> However sweats/fever means your thermoregulation won't be crash hot
> therefore more likely to suffer heat illnesses.

"Serious Cycling" by Ed. Burke has an article about exercising when ill
within it. I think he says something along the lines of "exercise when
the symptoms are above the neck is ok (runny nose, etc), but when
symptoms are below the neck (muscle pains?), rest up".
I can't dig the book out any more to quote it because it's in storage now :(

hippy
I still rode on Sunday as it was only a gentle 10km with the kids along the freeway with no real hills to speak of. If I had been contemplating the 30km course, I would probably have taken a rest day.

For the 30km riders there was a cash prize ($2,000?) for the first across the line - won with an average speed of around 42kph.

All in all, it was a good ride. The greatest danger was from small children on bikes who used all of the width of the 2 lanes of road to weave across, or just wobbled unsteadily on their way. I didn't see anyone come down, but MrsA who was a bit behind at the start says she saw a battered and bloodied rider returning up the freeway on-ramp at the 10km start point - all torn lycra and road rash.

There were a few 'shed bikes' - looked like they had been found hanging rusting in the shed the day before the ride. Quite a few BMX bikes. And a penny farthing with a trailer. Strangest sight was a bloke on a Lance Armstrong US Postal Service Trek replica, with all the good bits, dressed head to toe in US Postal team kit, but wearing sandshoes on flat pedals!

Steve(will my HRM tell me if I have myocarditis)A

hippy wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > I've been told by several docs that it's fine to do light exercise as
> > long as it's not a chest infection. It helps clear up sinus probs, etc.
> > However sweats/fever means your thermoregulation won't be crash hot
> > therefore more likely to suffer heat illnesses.

> "Serious Cycling" by Ed. Burke has an article about exercising when ill
> within it. I think he says something along the lines of "exercise when
> the symptoms are above the neck is ok (runny nose, etc), but when
> symptoms are below the neck (muscle pains?), rest up".
> I can't dig the book out any more to quote it because it's in storage now :(
>
> hippy

I think that kinda counts as referencing :p
(Oh, this is a long lunch break...)