Phil Liggett and Eddy Merckx?

Eden

Feb 28, 2005
So I'm super curious does anyone know what Eddy Merckx did/said to Phil Ligget to make him give up a career as a pro cyclist? I've heard the incident refered to briefly a few times, but I've never heard exactly what it was that Merckx did to "put the fear of god into him" (Liggett). I mean sheesh it must have been pretty harsh to make him quit completely. The way its been said seems to imply it was something personal and not just Liggett deciding after racing with Merkx that he couldn't compete. Has anyone heard the whole story?

All Merckx did was show him how good the best were by riding away from him without even trying. I wish more guitarists had the same sense after hearing Hendrix. Would have saved us from a lot of bad music over the years.

Whatever it was it was probably the best advice Phil ever received. Today he is the english voice of pro cycling. He will be remembered for his work as a broad caster much more then his riding days. I wish Eddy would give me advice if the results would be similar.