Pics of my Gunnar Sport

Gooserider

Guest
http://www.flickr.com/schwinnrider

It took months to get this back together after my crash. I'm glad it's back,
and I love my Kendal panniers.

"My favorite thing is riding bicycles. I don't ride my bike because I think
I'm destroying the environment by driving my car. It's just a great way to
be outdoors."---Dr. Ron Paul, candidate for president 2008
http://www.ronpaul2008.com

"Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.flickr.com/schwinnrider
>
> It took months to get this back together after my crash. I'm glad it's
> back, and I love my Kendal panniers.

> "My favorite thing is riding bicycles. I don't ride my bike because I
> think I'm destroying the environment by driving my car. It's just a great
> way to be outdoors."---Dr. Ron Paul, candidate for president 2008
> http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Nice set-up! Very partial to the cork-colored bar tape. Is that a Nitto
Classic bar?

Gooserider wrote:
> http://www.flickr.com/schwinnrider
>
> It took months to get this back together after my crash. I'm glad it's back,
> and I love my Kendal panniers.

Steel frame, 36-spoke wheels, fenders, panniers and a Brooks saddle?
Fabrizio Mazzoleni would not be caught dead on such a bicycle! ;)

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

"Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...

> "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> http://www.flickr.com/schwinnrider
>>
>> It took months to get this back together after my crash. I'm glad it's
>> back, and I love my Kendal panniers.
>>
>> --
>> "My favorite thing is riding bicycles. I don't ride my bike because I
>> think I'm destroying the environment by driving my car. It's just a great
>> way to be outdoors."---Dr. Ron Paul, candidate for president 2008
>> http://www.ronpaul2008.com
>>

> Nice set-up! Very partial to the cork-colored bar tape. Is that a Nitto
> Classic bar?

Thanks! I like the feel of cork and the look of natural cork, but it doesn't
stay clean for long. I carry latex gloves in case I need to do repairs, but
the tape gets grungy just from usage. That's what Grant Peterson calls
"beausage". LOL

The bar is a 46cm Nitto Noodle. Great bar. I like it so much I put one on my
other road bike, and I think I'll have one on every road bike I own from now
on.

Mike

"Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote...
> "My favorite thing is riding bicycles. I don't ride my bike because I
> think I'm destroying the environment by driving my car. It's just a great
> way to be outdoors."---Dr. Ron Paul, candidate for president 2008
> http://www.ronpaul2008.com

He's a cyclist? That's yet another reason to like him.

--
JF

On Nov 24, 10:36 am, "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://www.flickr.com/schwinnrider
>
> It took months to get this back together after my crash. I'm glad it's back,
> and I love my Kendal panniers.

Did you have to get it resprayed? That doesn't look like a stock
Gunnar color. Shame, if it was a nice cream or blue, I'd have to thumb-
wrassle you for it. ;-) What's funny is that despite the slightly
esoteric components from a layman's POV, it's close to the perfect
spec bike for the real world go-fast-with-eggs-and-jelly sort of
cyclist. Closest one can get to such a nice smart setup for a fair
price these days is Surly's complete LHT for 1K, a bike that's
competing in my brain with a Kona Ute as a realistic crush that I
could actually afford.

landotter? wrote:
> On Nov 24, 10:36 am, "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> http://www.flickr.com/schwinnrider
>>
>> It took months to get this back together after my crash. I'm glad it's back,
>> and I love my Kendal panniers.

> Did you have to get it resprayed? That doesn't look like a stock
> Gunnar color.

Gunnar (aka Waterford) does custom color for $125:
<http://www.gunnarbikes.com/custom.php>.

> Shame, if it was a nice cream or blue, I'd have to thumb-
> wrassle you for it. ;-) What's funny is that despite the slightly
> esoteric components from a layman's POV, it's close to the perfect
> spec bike for the real world go-fast-with-eggs-and-jelly sort of
> cyclist.

Sensible bicycle, but "eggs and jelly"?

> Closest one can get to such a nice smart setup for a fair
> price these days is Surly's complete LHT for 1K, a bike that's
> competing in my brain with a Kona Ute as a realistic crush that I
> could actually afford.

butbutbut, those bikes are not made by beer swilling cheeseheads, are they?

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> landotter? wrote:
>> On Nov 24, 10:36 am, "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> http://www.flickr.com/schwinnrider
>>>
>>> It took months to get this back together after my crash. I'm glad it's
>>> back,
>>> and I love my Kendal panniers.

>> Did you have to get it resprayed? That doesn't look like a stock
>> Gunnar color.

> Gunnar (aka Waterford) does custom color for $125:
> <http://www.gunnarbikes.com/custom.php>.

IMO, that's the best $125 I've spent. Gunnar also charged me for the "no
logos". The only decal on my bike is the "Handcrafted in Waterford,
Wisconsin/USA" decal on the left chainstay. That was an extra fifty bucks.
But Gunnar only offers two decal colors--red or black. I had black decals
the first time and they just don't look right on the green, and red decals
would be horrible. If a nice tan or white was available I'd have decals. But
no. Now I'm thinking about a custom headbadge...

>> Shame, if it was a nice cream or blue, I'd have to thumb-
>> wrassle you for it. ;-) What's funny is that despite the slightly
>> esoteric components from a layman's POV, it's close to the perfect
>> spec bike for the real world go-fast-with-eggs-and-jelly sort of
>> cyclist.

This is a light touring bike, and touring bikes are traditionally green.
Mine is just a flashy green. The paint really POPS in the sunshine. As for
the components, the reason for the Carradice is that I'll never have to buy
panniers again. There are 50 year old Kendals still out there, so I figure
they'll outlast ME. Same goes for the Brooks---and I haven't met anyone else
with a British Racing Green B17. My only regret is I didn't get the BRG B17
with copper rivets.

> Sensible bicycle, but "eggs and jelly"?
>
>> Closest one can get to such a nice smart setup for a fair
>> price these days is Surly's complete LHT for 1K, a bike that's
>> competing in my brain with a Kona Ute as a realistic crush that I
>> could actually afford.

> butbutbut, those bikes are not made by beer swilling cheeseheads, are
> they?

Exactly. I have nothing against Surly(I own a Pacer) but if I was going to
spend considerable money on a bike, it was going to be American made. That
being said, building a bike from bare frameset is such a PITA I don't think
I'll ever do it again. From now on it's stock bikes for me. And having a
bike with such a nice paint job is both a blessing and a curse. It's
beautiful to look at but I don't see ever locking this one to a rack.

The DiNotte lights are well worth the money. Shame DiNotte doesn't offer the
600L in a chrome anodized. I was trying to have no black components on the
bike, but that is really difficult nowadays. I could have bought a stainless
Tubus rack but then things get really expensive, and my only options there
are either a tiny rack or a HUGE heavy rack, and I didn't want either. So
it's a black rack and a black light. I like the rack, though.

"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote...
>> "My favorite thing is riding bicycles. I don't ride my bike because I
>> think I'm destroying the environment by driving my car. It's just a great
>> way to be outdoors."---Dr. Ron Paul, candidate for president 2008
>> http://www.ronpaul2008.com

> He's a cyclist? That's yet another reason to like him.

Yep. That quote was in Outside Magazine last month. Part of their "How Green
are the candidates" article.

Gooserider wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> Gunnar (aka Waterford) does custom color for $125:
>> <http://www.gunnarbikes.com/custom.php>.

> IMO, that's the best $125 I've spent. Gunnar also charged me for the
> "no logos". The only decal on my bike is the "Handcrafted in
> Waterford, Wisconsin/USA" decal on the left chainstay. That was an
> extra fifty bucks. But Gunnar only offers two decal colors--red or
> black. I had black decals the first time and they just don't look
> right on the green, and red decals would be horrible. If a nice tan
> or white was available I'd have decals. But no. Now I'm thinking
> about a custom headbadge...

Somehow, charging for "no decals" on a custom paint job seems odd.

--
Mike Kruger
Error is eternal, and wisdom consists in living with it, not letting

ZBicyclist wrote:

> Gooserider wrote:
>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Gunnar (aka Waterford) does custom color for $125:
>>> <http://www.gunnarbikes.com/custom.php>.

>> IMO, that's the best $125 I've spent. Gunnar also charged me for the
>> "no logos". The only decal on my bike is the "Handcrafted in Waterford,
>> Wisconsin/USA" decal on the left chainstay. That was an extra fifty
>> bucks. But Gunnar only offers two decal colors--red or black. I had
>> black decals the first time and they just don't look right on the
>> green, and red decals would be horrible. If a nice tan or white was
>> available I'd have decals. But no. Now I'm thinking about a custom
>> headbadge...

> Somehow, charging for "no decals" on a custom paint job seems odd.

Yes, they will be saving on materials so from the customer's point of
view it should be slightly cheaper.

Or perhaps they would argue that it is going to be more expensive because
of logistics: they would have to watch your piece specifically to make
sure there are no decals attached. So more labour is spent not to stick
the decals.

But I wonder.

nmp wrote:
> Yes, they will be saving on materials so from the customer's point of
> view it should be slightly cheaper.
>
> Or perhaps they would argue that it is going to be more expensive because
> of logistics: they would have to watch your piece specifically to make
> sure there are no decals attached. So more labour is spent not to stick
> the decals.

I've just always assumed that your paying to not be a rolling
advertisement for them.

\\paul

On Nov 25, 10:32 am, "ZBicyclist" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Gooserider wrote:
> > "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> Gunnar (aka Waterford) does custom color for $125:
> >> <http://www.gunnarbikes.com/custom.php>.

> > IMO, that's the best $125 I've spent. Gunnar also charged me for the
> > "no logos". The only decal on my bike is the "Handcrafted in
> > Waterford, Wisconsin/USA" decal on the left chainstay. That was an
> > extra fifty bucks. But Gunnar only offers two decal colors--red or
> > black. I had black decals the first time and they just don't look
> > right on the green, and red decals would be horrible. If a nice tan
> > or white was available I'd have decals. But no. Now I'm thinking
> > about a custom headbadge...

> Somehow, charging for "no decals" on a custom paint job seems odd.

If by odd ya mean acting like dickheads, then you're spot on. It's a
splendid frame for sure, but if I'd been shown a quote with an
upcharge for *not* doing something, I'd walk away.

Paul Myron Hobson wrote:

>> ZBicyclist wrote:
>>> Somehow, charging for "no decals" on a custom paint job seems odd.

> nmp wrote:
>> Yes, they will be saving on materials so from the customer's point of
>> view it should be slightly cheaper.
>>
>> Or perhaps they would argue that it is going to be more expensive
>> because of logistics: they would have to watch your piece specifically
>> to make sure there are no decals attached. So more labour is spent not
>> to stick the decals.

> I've just always assumed that your paying to not be a rolling
> advertisement for them.

Of course it is.

"nmp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Paul Myron Hobson wrote:

>> nmp wrote:
>>> Yes, they will be saving on materials so from the customer's point of
>>> view it should be slightly cheaper.
>>>
>>> Or perhaps they would argue that it is going to be more expensive
>>> because of logistics: they would have to watch your piece specifically
>>> to make sure there are no decals attached. So more labour is spent not
>>> to stick the decals.

>> I've just always assumed that your paying to not be a rolling
>> advertisement for them.

> Of course it is.

They didn't tell me that's the reason, but I assumed as much. It's not my
fault their decals suck.

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 10:32:03 -0600, ZBicyclist wrote:

> Somehow, charging for "no decals" on a custom paint job seems odd.

I guess you have to compensate them for their loss of advertising.

Matt O.