PMC Initial Setup

fezzy

Dec 3, 2007
I have been using a PowerTap since the middle of December along with CycingPeaks. I believe I read somewhere about prepopulating the fields in the PMC with some made up numbers. I have tried, but didn't really know what I was doing, so I have since set them back to 0.

The problem being my TSB is ranging from -30 to -40, obviously not correct. Will the chart correct itself once it has enough data to accurately define my CTL, or should I prepopulate the CTL/ATL. And if so, based on what? Thanks

fezzy said:
I have been using a PowerTap since the middle of December along with CycingPeaks. I believe I read somewhere about prepopulating the fields in the PMC with some made up numbers. I have tried, but didn't really know what I was doing, so I have since set them back to 0.

The problem being my TSB is ranging from -30 to -40, obviously not correct. Will the chart correct itself once it has enough data to accurately define my CTL, or should I prepopulate the CTL/ATL. And if so, based on what? Thanks
As posted before I'd base it on the previous 3-4 months training, the average number of training hrs/wk and an factor for intensity.

fezzy said:

It will settle down after 3 months. It will settle more quickly if your seed CTL & ATL values are reasonable estimates. Leave the CTL & ATL Time Constants alone for now.

To estimate seed values:

ATL = (avg weekly hours for previous two weeks before PMC start date) x 8

CTL = (avg weekly hours for previous two months before PMC start date) x 8

e.g. if for the 2 months before the PMC start date you averaged 7 hrs of on bike training per week, then CTL seed value ~= 7 x 8 = 56.

That assumes an average Intensity Factor of about 0.75 for all rides in this period.

That's a reasonably normal training intensity.

If training has been moderate, then x 7
If training has been hardish, then x 9

Thanks Alex. That seems to have it in the proper ballpark until I have more data.