pop goes the wheelsel

Resound

Guest
Stopped in at Abbotsford Cycles to grab the fork for the fixie project and
decided to use their proper fllor pump rather than my pissy little frame
pump to bring the tyres up to pressure. I discovered how embarrassingly soft
I'd been running the tyres and with new hard-as-bleedin'-rocks tyres took
off. Front brake s start rubbing, wobbly, bad...stop. The braking surfaces
of the front rim had curled over in an arc that would probably fit neatly
against a ½" diameter circle. I let some air out, rode back too Abbotsford
Cycles and shelled out $170 for a new wheel and a Vittoria Rubino and tube
to match the one on the back. Wasn't really expecting to spend that today. I
wasn't riding anywhere on that rim though, it was just begging to let go in
a huge way and I had to get to work.

Resound said:
The braking surfaces of the front rim had curled over in an arc that would probably fit neatly against a ½" diameter circle. I let some air out, rode back too Abbotsford Cycles and shelled out $170 for a new wheel and a Vittoria Rubino and tube to match the one on the back.
What-a-sort-a-rim-a-was-it? Did-ya-geta-mooch-lif-outa-it?

"JayWoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Resound Wrote:
>> The braking surfaces of the front rim had curled over in an arc that
>> would probably fit neatly against a ½" diameter circle. I let some air
>> out, rode back too Abbotsford Cycles and shelled out $170 for a new
>> wheel and a Vittoria Rubino and tube to match the one on the back.

> What-a-sort-a-rim-a-was-it? Did-ya-geta-mooch-lif-outa-it?
>

> --
> JayWoo

Whatever the OCR3 came with. I left it at the bikeshop rather than cart it
around and they're holding it for me until I go back for it. I'll keep it as
the hub's still god and the rim is...interesting. Got about 7000-8000km out
of it.

Resound said:
"JayWoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Resound Wrote:
>> The braking surfaces of the front rim had curled over in an arc that
>> would probably fit neatly against a ½" diameter circle. I let some air
>> out, rode back too Abbotsford Cycles and shelled out $170 for a new
>> wheel and a Vittoria Rubino and tube to match the one on the back.

> What-a-sort-a-rim-a-was-it? Did-ya-geta-mooch-lif-outa-it?
>

> --
> JayWoo

Whatever the OCR3 came with. I left it at the bikeshop rather than cart it
around and they're holding it for me until I go back for it. I'll keep it as
the hub's still god and the rim is...interesting. Got about 7000-8000km out
of it.

Oh man and there was me grumbling about getting 45k out of the Alex rims that came with my Trek.

SuzieB said:
Oh man and there was me grumbling about getting 45k out of the Alex rims that came with my Trek.
Oops, that was me, not Suzie.

EuanB wrote:
> SuzieB Wrote:
> > Oh man and there was me grumbling about getting 45k out of the Alex rims
> > that came with my Trek.

> Oops, that was me, not Suzie.

45,000km out of a rim?! You never use your brakes in the rain or
descend hills?
You don't *have* any brakes?!

I find that I can hardly get any air into my tubes with my pissy little hand
pump. At least I know I'm not going to damage my rims though :)

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
news:[email protected]...

Bleve wrote:
> EuanB wrote:
>>SuzieB Wrote:
>>>Oh man and there was me grumbling about getting 45k out of the Alex rims
>>>that came with my Trek.

>>Oops, that was me, not Suzie.

> 45,000km out of a rim?! You never use your brakes in the rain or
> descend hills?
> You don't *have* any brakes?!

like to go fast downhill and don't ride in the wet?

either that or they're old school steel MTB rims like mine =)

cheers,

Kim

Bleve wrote:

> 45,000km out of a rim?! You never use your brakes in the rain or
> descend hills?

I generally get 40-50,000km out of a rim. It's not unusual at all. Mine are just normal Open-Pros. I don't sit on the brakes, and very rarely use the rear brake, so the rear lasts a lot longer than the front.

Regards,

Suzy

Bleve> EuanB wrote:
>> SuzieB Wrote: > Oh man and there was me grumbling about getting
>> 45k out of the Alex rims > that came with my Trek. Oops, that
>> was me, not Suzie.

Bleve> 45,000km out of a rim?!

Yep. I was lucky actually, pulled a bit of overtime with one of my
mates I did ATB with before the day. Usual oggle of each others bikes
and then he tells me my rims are shot.

Bleve> You never use your brakes in the rain or descend hills?

In the rain's where I really use the brakes on hills, especially that
sharp one on Blackburn Road, I like to keep it below 40 on wet days.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Bleve wrote:

> Ok,not a lot of corners in the wet then. I guess my use
> of them is a little more than most - I do a lot of hill riding
> in winter around Mt Dandenong, and that chews rims out
> really quick. Plus, being heavy ...

Ya gotta trust in the force. Air resistance keeps your maximum speed down to the 70's or so on most descents. A quick dab of the brakes before tighter corners will drop your speed enough to get through okay. It's sitting on the brakes for a long time that stuffs rims, I reckon.

suzyj wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
>
> > 45,000km out of a rim?! You never use your brakes in the rain or
> > descend hills?

> I generally get 40-50,000km out of a rim. It's not unusual at all.
> Mine are just normal Open-Pros. I don't sit on the brakes, and very
> rarely use the rear brake, so the rear lasts a lot longer than the
> front.

I wear out open pros in around 20-25,000km (I have a rear that you can
see through, and have a front that exploded). I do descend a lot in
the rain though (1:20 in the wet is a rim killer)

suzyj wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
>
> > Ok,not a lot of corners in the wet then. I guess my use
> > of them is a little more than most - I do a lot of hill riding
> > in winter around Mt Dandenong, and that chews rims out
> > really quick. Plus, being heavy ...

> Ya gotta trust in the force. Air resistance keeps your maximum speed
> down to the 70's or so on most descents. A quick dab of the brakes
> before tighter corners will drop your speed enough to get through okay.
> It's sitting on the brakes for a long time that stuffs rims, I reckon.

Suzy, if you'd ridden the 1:20, you'll understand. It's no "quick dab
on the brakes" descent. It's got rather a lot of corners and it's
greasy when wet. It's a rim killer. I don't descend it at 70 in ideal
conditions, and I'm a loony descender ....

On 2005-11-08, Bleve (aka Bruce)

> suzyj wrote:
>> Ya gotta trust in the force. Air resistance keeps your maximum speed
>> down to the 70's or so on most descents. A quick dab of the brakes
>> before tighter corners will drop your speed enough to get through okay.
>> It's sitting on the brakes for a long time that stuffs rims, I reckon.

> Suzy, if you'd ridden the 1:20, you'll understand. It's no "quick dab
> on the brakes" descent. It's got rather a lot of corners and it's
> greasy when wet. It's a rim killer. I don't descend it at 70 in ideal
> conditions, and I'm a loony descender ....

I had a max speed of 70.9km/h on Sunday down it[1][2].

OK, so that would have been for 20m or so :)

And the road had probably melted into a nice sticky consistency so it
wouldn't have been possible to slide out.

[1] As presumably my wind-break, er, Craigster had.
[2] Warrandyte's definitely better for quick thrills.

--
TimC
Is it because do me reconcile my life that I say perhaps your plans

Resound said:
Stopped in at Abbotsford Cycles to grab the fork for the fixie project and
decided to use their proper fllor pump rather than my pissy little frame
pump to bring the tyres up to pressure. I discovered how embarrassingly soft
I'd been running the tyres and with new hard-as-bleedin'-rocks tyres took
off. Front brake s start rubbing, wobbly, bad...stop. The braking surfaces
of the front rim had curled over in an arc that would probably fit neatly
against a ½" diameter circle. I let some air out, rode back too Abbotsford
Cycles and shelled out $170 for a new wheel and a Vittoria Rubino and tube
to match the one on the back. Wasn't really expecting to spend that today. I
wasn't riding anywhere on that rim though, it was just begging to let go in
a huge way and I had to get to work.
If this thread isn't an argument for disc brakes, I don't know what is :p.

TimC wrote:

> I had a max speed of 70.9km/h on Sunday down it[1][2].

Good one! Which part?

Now, imagine doing it in winter, temp 3 degrees, raining, 4 times.

It's wet brakes that eat rims. They pick up grit and turn it into
grinding paste.
Even Sheldon and Jobst agree, so it *must* be true :)

Bleve> It's wet brakes that eat rims. They pick up grit and turn it
Bleve> into grinding paste. Even Sheldon and Jobst agree, so it
Bleve> *must* be true :)

No doubt about that, on balance though I brake a lot less in the wet
generally. I don't go nearly as fast in the wet 'cause there's less
traction and I like to kid myself that going a bit slower will make a
difference :)
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

On 2005-11-08, Bleve (aka Bruce)

> TimC wrote:
>
>> I had a max speed of 70.9km/h on Sunday down it[1][2].

> Good one! Which part?

Dunno. One of the fast bits :)

> Now, imagine doing it in winter, temp 3 degrees, raining, 4 times.

But how do you combine that with "uphill both ways"? :) I can see it
snowing there though...

> It's wet brakes that eat rims. They pick up grit and turn it into
> grinding paste.
> Even Sheldon and Jobst agree, so it *must* be true :)

Jobst? I should probably invoke google, shouldn't I?

--
TimC
"Perhaps the truth is less interesting than the facts?"

Euan wrote:

> Bleve> It's wet brakes that eat rims. They pick up grit and turn it
> Bleve> into grinding paste. Even Sheldon and Jobst agree, so it
> Bleve> *must* be true :)
>
> No doubt about that, on balance though I brake a lot less in the wet
> generally. I don't go nearly as fast in the wet 'cause there's less
> traction and I like to kid myself that going a bit slower will make a
> difference :)

For road commuting, it's probably not much of an issue. You're not
having to use your brakes much.