Praise for the Brompton from a motoring journalist

Matt B

Guest
In yesterday's Telegraph[1].

Mind you, you might not like what he also has to say about cycling
attire, 'designer bicycles', and the motivation of certain cyclists ;-)

[1] http://tinyurl.com/99h4x
--
Matt B

Matt B wrote:
> In yesterday's Telegraph[1].
>
> Mind you, you might not like what he also has to say about cycling
> attire, 'designer bicycles', and the motivation of certain cyclists ;-)
>
> [1] http://tinyurl.com/99h4x

He is well known for riding his brompton when he wants to take his car
out. Being in London, the only garage big enough for his bentley is 6
miles from his house. He got the tv packaging right on though..

There was another article in the Tele that you missed.. suggesting that
Griff is not your usual taste. For those that wish I have recycled the
relevant parts below..
---
Speaking of Leviathan, when I learned to drive at the advanced age of
32, I realised that Hobbes was essentially correct. The Highway Code is
a behavioural contract contrived and accepted for our mutual survival,
except where we can shove, push, cut up, scream past, bully or take
advantage for our own ends. At the age of six, I laughed when my
mother, pootling into Chichester used to expostulate "How rude!" (Yes,
Chichester, and in the Sixties, too.) Venturing about in my own steely
carapace 26 years later led me to a state of unblinking sensitivity to
the "rules".

Twice this week I encountered van behaviour that boggled the intellect.
At a major junction, one driver saw the lights change as he roared
towards them and decided to risk it anyway, a good three seconds after
they had changed to red. Down in Hoxton, a rented van popped on through
the red lights, after they had changed against him while he was
stationary.

What new horror is this? Both drivers were young and beardy (m'lud) and
I suspect that they are members of the bicycling fraternity - graduated
to furniture moving - who have decided to apply their death-defying
standards to motorised transport. Oh woe! When they start taking short
cuts along the pavement "disastrose anarchie wille be unleashed". Life
is nasty, brutish and short, and so was the driver. And on his mobile
phone too.

---

...d

David Martin wrote:
> Matt B wrote:
>
>>In yesterday's Telegraph[1].
>>
>>Mind you, you might not like what he also has to say about cycling
>>attire, 'designer bicycles', and the motivation of certain cyclists ;-)
>>
>>[1] http://tinyurl.com/99h4x

> He is well known for riding his brompton when he wants to take his car
> out. Being in London, the only garage big enough for his bentley is 6
> miles from his house.

Yes :)

> He got the tv packaging right on though..

If it's man enough to protect a telly from production line, via 'white
van man' to your living room it can't be all bad.

> There was another article in the Tele that you missed.. suggesting that
> Griff is not your usual taste.

In today's I think.

> For those that wish I have recycled the
> relevant parts below..

[...]
> What new horror is this? Both drivers were young and beardy (m'lud) and
> I suspect that they are members of the bicycling fraternity - graduated
> to furniture moving - who have decided to apply their death-defying
> standards to motorised transport. Oh woe! When they start taking short
> cuts along the pavement "disastrose anarchie wille be unleashed". Life
> is nasty, brutish and short, and so was the driver. And on his mobile
> phone too.

Yes, very double-edged ;-)

--
Matt B

Matt B wrote:
> > What new horror is this? Both drivers were young and beardy (m'lud) and
> > I suspect that they are members of the bicycling fraternity - graduated
> > to furniture moving - who have decided to apply their death-defying
> > standards to motorised transport. Oh woe! When they start taking short
> > cuts along the pavement "disastrose anarchie wille be unleashed". Life
> > is nasty, brutish and short, and so was the driver. And on his mobile
> > phone too.

> Yes, very double-edged ;-)

I found it quite offensive as I am short, bearded, of the bicycling
fraternity, and at some past point used to deliver furniture and drive
a white van around London. However, mobile phones were not around then,
nor would I use one while driving.

I also do not drive on the pavement..

...d